What's next for Patrick Chan? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

What's next for Patrick Chan?

senatormls

On the Ice
to Canadian skaterguy.. Chan was fifth at Vancouver. He has 2 silver World medals and 3 Gold medals at worlds

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
BTW Plushenko in his prime, transported to today and naturally making the chronological progression and adaptations that would be expected being born in a later frame, would be extremely competitive today. The fact an old Plushenko WAY past his prime and way below the level of skater and jumper he used to be had a good chance to medal in the individual competition had he skated (especialy in hindsight), and won a team gold medal, is testament to that. He probably wouldnt beat Hanyu or Chan skating perfectly, but he wouldnt have to ever worry about that now would he.

A huge part of this is his reputation. If a newcomer burst onto the scene and skated exactly like Plushenko, he would not be scoring above 250 unless his programs actually had substance. Plushenko hugely benefited under COP because of his pre-existing popularity so it didn't matter how poor his programs were. His 2006 Olympic LP was well jumped but also probably the worst LP (construction wise) to win OGM. He would have been brutalized as a newbie and forced to develop transitions and spins like everyone else to go with the jumps.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Guys, do you think Chan still will be able to compete on the top level four more years? I hope he will win his deserved olympic gold medal (team or single, Idc), but I wonder if he will be good enough to do that.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Guys, do you think Chan still will be able to compete on the top level four more years? I hope he will win his deserved olympic gold medal (team or single, Idc), but I wonder if he will be good enough to do that.

Team will be difficult with Russia still likely dominant in pairs, ladies and ice dance.

If he came back he still might be competitive but he might be a bit of a Takahashi type where he has more difficulty with jumps but has the PCS to keep him in the game. Who knows how much the other guys will progress. If the field stagnates technically, he could pull a Plushenko or Kim and come back to defeat them.

If the field progresses, which it hopefully will, he'll have his work cut out.

Snow63

Record Breaker
Team will be difficult with Russia still likely dominant in pairs, ladies and ice dance.

If he came back he still might be competitive but he might be a bit of a Takahashi type where he has more difficulty with jumps but has the PCS to keep him in the game. Who knows how much the other guys will progress. If the field stagnates technically, he could pull a Plushenko or Kim and come back to defeat them.

If the field progresses, which it hopefully will, he'll have his work cut out.

Yes. I thought about that, too. The problem is that without him (I'm assuming he's going to skip next season) other guys (Hanyu, Fernandez or even Kovtun) are going to get higher PCS just because they'll be the best out there and judges will not be feeling obligated to reserve highest PCS for Chan. And when he came back his PCS won't be enough. Do you know if he's skipping one season or more?
That's what I'm also thinking about Savchenko and why she is not going to win olympic gold medal. I feel like Sochi was their last chance to be olympic champions. I really hope I'm wrong about Chan tho :)

Meoima

Match Penalty
Do we know if team event is going to stay in Olympic programm?
Honestly I hope they would drop that team event for good, or at least held it last. Thanks to the team event, we have a horrendous men event because skaters were exhausted the night before.:bang:

lbc2138

On the Ice
Well whenever Patrick does decide to come back in, the field will be littered with youngsters and not-so-youngsters that are not done yet that can surpass Chan technically. PCS is something a little harder to predict, especially with home-ice inflation that comes with each competition, but we can still assume it's TES that's going to be determining the winner. I'm sure he'll always be top three when he does come back just because he can have superb skates, but I have a feeling that's not good enough for him and that he wants to be on top again, which will be difficult with skaters like Yuzu and Javi in the way.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Do we know if team event is going to stay in Olympic programm?

Hopefully not. It was awfully predictable and most definitely contributed to some skaters' poor individual performances. And only 3 or 4 countries are truly in the running for medals so it's more of a chest-thumping "look how well-rounded we are and everyone else isn't" type event. And I say that coming from Canada, who was guaranteed a medal. I still think it can exist, but certainly not with the current structure.

lbc2138

On the Ice
Hopefully not. It was awfully predictable and most definitely contributed to some skaters' poor individual performances. And only 3 or 4 countries are truly in the running for medals so it's more of a chest-thumping "look how well-rounded we are and everyone else isn't" type event. And I say that coming from Canada, who was guaranteed a medal. I still think it can exist, but certainly not with the current structure.

I liked it up until the point where the winner did become obvious haha.

I also liked that it gave some of the participants time for adjustments for their individual program. I think Yuzu would've broken his record anyways but I think the team event gave him the morale boost, being that it was his very first Olympics and the necessary adjustments to squeeze out a couple more points to do so.

I view it as not much more than a full run through with audience and everything for the skaters.

About the team event, I think we have to look toward the future. I think it will become more and more popular with audiences, just like in gymnastics.

True, only a few countries will ever be in the running for team medals, but in this respect it is the same as any team sport. In hockey, Canada and the Soviet Union/Russia together have won 16 out if the 24 Olympics, but this does not make the sport any less popular. In fact, figure skating has an advantage here because in figure skating a country without a contending team can still win an individual medal.

It would be cool if we could think of a way to inject some real teamwork into the team event, instead of just each person doing his own thing then adding up the points. But again, this format has not hurt gymnastics.

Snow63

Record Breaker
I liked it up until the point where the winner did become obvious haha.

I also liked that it gave some of the participants time for adjustments for their individual program. I think Yuzu would've broken his record anyways but I think the team event gave him the morale boost, being that it was his very first Olympics and the necessary adjustments to squeeze out a couple more points to do so.

I view it as not much more than a full run through with audience and everything for the skaters.

True. But it can affect skaters negative way too. Ask Yulia Lipnitskaya.

Awfully predictable were luge team relay and speed skating team pursuits. And it's okay, it doesn't mean such disciplines should not exist. So 3-4 countries in the fight for medals is not exceptional situation in today's sport. AND this event could bring even more fans to FS. For me it was cool and new and fun and definetely interesting.
The only problem I see is timing. Like Tarasova said: 'There's no such skater, who can skate four programms at the Olympic games under all that pressure within two weeks time span without any mistakes. It's just physically and mentally impossible.' I agree with her, and it's the only problem I see.

About the team event, I think we have to look toward the future. I think it will become more and more popular with audiences, just like in gymnastics.

True, only a few countries will ever be in the running for team medals, but in this respect it is the same as any team sport. In hockey, Canada and the Soviet Union/Russia together have won 16 out if the 24 Olympics, but this does not make the sport any less popular. In fact, figure skating has an advantage here because in figure skating a country without a contending team can still win an individual medal.

It would be cool if we could think of a way to inject some real teamwork into the team event, instead of just each person doing his own thing then adding up the points. But again, this format has not hurt gymnastics.

All of this! :agree:

Near

On the Ice
Country
Canada
True. But it can affect skaters negative way too. Ask Yulia Lipnitskaya.

Awfully predictable were luge team relay and speed skating team pursuits. And it's okay, it doesn't mean such disciplines should not exist. So 3-4 countries in the fight for medals is not exceptional situation in today's sport. AND this event could bring even more fans to FS. For me it was cool and new and fun and definetely interesting.
The only problem I see is timing. Like Tarasova said: 'There's no such skater, who can skate four programms at the Olympic games under all that pressure within two weeks time span without any mistakes. It's just physically and mentally impossible.' I agree with her, and it's the only problem I see.

All of this! :agree:
Yulia won a gold medal and emerged as one of the star of the figure skating events due to her performance in the team event. It really didn't matter how she did in the individual event after that, she had already exeded expectations. There is also no guarantee that she would have skated well had there been no team event. A team event is a completly different game mentally.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Yulia won a gold medal and emerged as one of the star of the figure skating events due to her performance in the team event. It really didn't matter how she did in the individual event after that, she had already exeded expectations. There is also no guarantee that she would have skated well had there been no team event. A team event is a completly different game mentally.

Unfortunately this was overshadowed by Sotnikova's gold in the individual event. If you ask any Russian, Lipnitskaia was the princess and Sotnikova was the queen. I'm sure Lipnitskaia would have rather had her team and individual performances switched as she would then likely have two gold medals instead of 1 team gold and an individual 5th.

JayW

Final Flight
Well whenever Patrick does decide to come back in, the field will be littered with youngsters and not-so-youngsters that are not done yet that can surpass Chan technically. PCS is something a little harder to predict, especially with home-ice inflation that comes with each competition, but we can still assume it's TES that's going to be determining the winner. I'm sure he'll always be top three when he does come back just because he can have superb skates, but I have a feeling that's not good enough for him and that he wants to be on top again, which will be difficult with skaters like Yuzu and Javi in the way.

PChan will be doing fine. He has a great technical package. His nemesis is his Axel and his mentality. As long as he doesn't mess up big time, he will stay on podium.

On the other hand, I feel so bad for the sweet Javier who I wish so much to win big. His doesn't have the PCS buffer like Hany and Chan have.

Snow63

Record Breaker

Yes. No guarantee.
But did you hear or read any her interviews before individual competition? She was exhausted physically and tired of all attention that journalists rushed on her. There were even spy 'bugs' in her locker room. Nothing of that wouldn't have happened if she hadn't been in the team.

JayW

Final Flight
Unfortunately this was overshadowed by Sotnikova's gold in the individual event. If you ask any Russian, Lipnitskaia was the princess and Sotnikova was the queen. I'm sure Lipnitskaia would have rather had her team and individual performances switched as she would then likely have two gold medals instead of 1 team gold and an individual 5th.

I think the same. I rather Yulia win the gold.

Snow63

Record Breaker

I'm russian and Yulia is the queen for me :)