What's next for Patrick Chan? | Page 8 | Golden Skate

What's next for Patrick Chan?

lbc2138

On the Ice
What happened to Chan was karma. When Hanyu beat him at the GPF, Chiddy commented that he, Patrick had "let Hanyu beat him this time" but in Sochi, he, Patrick, would win. The skate gods frown on such blatant hubris. The outcome in Sochi was no surprise.

Haha he's never been the most humblest of skaters. Which makes him so hard to like because he'll be super cute and funny in an interview and skates beautifully. But there are times where he does sort of bad-mouth his competitors and fails to recognize when he is being overscored.

nimi

Medalist
Kozuka in Sochi GPF 2012: “This new experience in Russia has given me good homework. I know how to prepare for the Olympics in 2014. This ice doesn’t allow you to jump your Axels on the very edge, and you have to watch out a little bit.”

Could this (in addition to nerves) explain whatever happened to Chan's axels in Sochi? Does he usually jump his axels on the very edge?

Meoima

Match Penalty
Kozuka in Sochi GPF 2012: “This new experience in Russia has given me good homework. I know how to prepare for the Olympics in 2014. This ice doesn’t allow you to jump your Axels on the very edge, and you have to watch out a little bit.”

Could this (in addition to nerves) explain whatever happened to Chan's axels in Sochi? Does he usually jump his axels on the very edge?
I think ice every where is the same, huh? Is there any special a out ice in Sochi?

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
These are athletes performing under pressure and they are prone to succumbing to it. None of us have ever been in positions even comparable to what an expected Olympic gold contender goes through mentally.

Well, in life it's not just athletes that have to perform under tremendous pressure. So choking isn't just an athletic thing. I have a doctorate and was at or near the top of my class everywhere I went. I'm no genius either. I had the ability to 'perform' when others who were much smarter and gifted than I would choke on exams. I'm still amazed at my grad school entrance exam compared to the really smart ones'. I'm kind of like the Sarah Hughes of academia, I maximized my potential while others way ahead of me fell short. So to respond to this quote, most of us are never going to be Olympic athletes but we do know the 'life pressure' to nail that LSAT or MCAT because our entire lives and futures depend on scoring well. It's a false argument to say that just because we aren't Olympic athletes we cannot recognize someone who choked at their task at hand. So I do take issue with your saying that none of us has ever been in a pressure position comparable to some silly skating competition. It is demeaning.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I agree, but it seems that we're a lot harder on them in terms of raking them over the coals for failing to meet expectations. I mean, the guy still earned silver and cleared 275 points.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
May be Chan could comeback and attempt quad sal? That way he will still be competitive.

I don't know but somehow it is hard for me to imagine him doing quad salchow :biggrin: Looking at his 4T he is using a lot of power there, so somehow I think salchow would be very hard for him specially with his body type, but ho knows. It is just my personal thinking :biggrin:

But I don't think having quad salchow anyway will change anything in his technical level of programme, because in my thinking other type of quad is allowing you to do diffrent construction of other jumps. Hanyu have second diffrent quad and can do all combinations in 2nd half ( 2x 3A combos ). Javier instead of that have 3 quads, with 1 in combination. I can't imagine Patrick doing 3 quads, I think his legs would be dead after this, seeing how he is running out of power from jump to jump trough programme.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
He has executed 4S in practice, and as his sequence shows, he can execute a 3S without much speed. I'm wondering if he's able to vault himself up though as he does on his quad toe. I'm really impressed by skaters who can do both quads, as the mechanics are pretty different.

Icey

Record Breaker
No matter the quality of the ice, every competing skater had to deal with what ever that quality was. Skaters like Henie had to skate on ice that had cracks and rough spots and had to adjust their programs accordingly. Offering ice conditions as an excuse really doesn't hold much water present day. At one competition when Michelle was asked if the ice condition affected her performance negatively, she replied sarcastically and with a little laugh "SURE, it was the ice."

Nadya

On the Ice
Lipnitskaya is far more respected anywhere but Russia than Sotnikova is today. I am sure she is quite happy having a completely uncontroversial and well earned Olympic Gold (which btw you can say she single handedly won as her huge points margin on the Canadian ladies entry was the winning margin) which made her the darling of the worldwide media and skating fans (something as for Sotnikova :laugh: ), her European title, and her world silver, than Sotnikova who only has her historically controversialy Olympic Gold which brings her more ridicule and disgust from the skating world, and the exterior world outside Russia, than respect and honor. I sure as heck would not want to be Sotnikova rather than Lipnitskaya right now if I were given a choice.

Both are huge heroes for life in Russia, which is more is an arbitrary point essentialy. Lipnitskaya though is a star and highly respected champion outside Russia. Sotnikova only is for as long as she stays within Russian boundaries.
That word doesn't mean what you think it means.

There's something Sotnikova has that Lipnitskaya may wish for: to have survived the puberty monster with her jumps intact. The history of skating is positively littered with little girls who rotated their triple-triples before breasts and hips happened and their backs stopped bending. Adelina's puberty crisis is behind her. I hope Julia gets through hers when it arrives.

nimi

Medalist

I have heard a commentator say that Chan jumps his A off a "clean" edge instead of "skidding" right before the take off like most of the skaters. Is there any truth to that and is his axel technique inherently more prone to errors and disturbances, or was that just a commentator talking bullsh!t? Does jumping an A "on the very edge" mean the same as "clean edge" or are those two different things? (I've only skated on fairly crappy ice on outdoor rinks and done walz jumps, so I have no personal experience about edgework and axels... so a more educated opinion would be appreciated)

makaihime

Final Flight
I have heard a commentator say that Chan jumps his A off a "clean" edge instead of "skidding" right before the take off like most of the skaters. Is there any truth to that and is his axel technique inherently more prone to errors and disturbances, or was that just a commentator talking bullsh!t? Does jumping an A "on the very edge" mean the same as "clean edge" or are those two different things? (I've only skated on fairly crappy ice on outdoor rinks and done walz jumps, so I have no personal experience about edgework and axels... so a more educated opinion would be appreciated)

I can't say anything on behalf of Patrick's reason as to why he has problems with his axel, but skidding does allow the skater more control with the takeoff and those who takeoff with a clean edge do have a tendency to incur problems especially when you get into doubles and triples. But even if its true that the clean edge is the reason for his troubles, you can't really "teach" someone to skid. :think:

Then again I'm not a skater just an observer so my opinions might not be worth anything :laugh:

nimi

Medalist
I can't say anything on behalf of Patrick's reason as to why he has problems with his axel, but skidding does allow the skater more control with the takeoff and those who takeoff with a clean edge do have a tendency to incur problems especially when you get into doubles and triples. But even if its true that the clean edge is the reason for his troubles, you can't really "teach" someone to skid. :think:

Then again I'm not a skater just an observer so my opinions might not be worth anything :laugh:

Thanks anyway!