Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The Skating Lesson

Custom Title
    FYI...

TSL has a new series starting yesterday from a pair of skating coaches focusing on the "nuts and bolts" of skating. Both of their resumés sound impressive. The male coach was also a competitor and has apparently worked the D/W and V/M.

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Does anyone know Jenny's plans for when she finishes law school?

Reason for asking: a law degree can be a useful background for many fields but the legal profession is going through seismic changes with some old/established/reputable firms either merging or going belly-up (in a few of the worst cases). The ones that remain are often hiring on a contingency basis instead of the traditional 8-year path to partnership. There are a lot of unemployed or under-employed lawyers out there, including alums of the top schools. Overall it's a not-so-brave and sometimes ugly new world and I'd hate for Jenny to get caught up in that vortex.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatedreamer View Post
    Does anyone know Jenny's plans for when she finishes law school?

Reason for asking: a law degree can be a useful background for many fields but the legal profession is going through seismic changes with some old/established/reputable firms either merging or going belly-up (in a few of the worst cases). The ones that remain are often hiring on a contingency basis instead of the traditional 8-year path to partnership. There are a lot of unemployed or under-employed lawyers out there, including alums of the top schools. Overall it's a not-so-brave and sometimes ugly new world and I'd hate for Jenny to get caught up in that vortex.
    The trend amongst my lawyer friends is to hire them not just on this basis, but to also hire subject-matter experts as "consultants" or external counsel to do that work for them. Let's say that a litigation firm needs to disclose evidence but there is a challenge as to whether certain evidence is admissible if it's an invasion of an unrelated third party's privacy. That firm then outsources that part of the challenge to a sole practitioner or smaller boutique to handle and they pay them for the research only. This is pretty much the way a lot of firms are going these days if they can't hire someone full-time in-house, or if they can't expand their business enough for everyone to have a solid book of business.

You've got a point though, I've seen some attrition amongst the more traditional firms (large regional and maybe a multinational or two) in favour of more workable business arrangements.

Then again, Jenny may opt to become a prosecutor. I understand that it's becoming an attractive option since if you work for the DA's office in the US for about 10 years or so, they forgive your law school debt or a significant portion of it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3