The Skating Lesson | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The Skating Lesson

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
My arguement is simply that the skating lesson has lost perspective in what it intentially for- to inspire younger skaters through past champions.

Since WHEN was TSL intentionally started to inspire younger skaters through past champions?!?!?! Jenny and Dave got so much shade from the start for being snarky. I just watched the latest, and it was excellent IMO. Some people have such a low bar for criticism or snark that they become oversensitive. I'd like to see more interviews, but since Jenny isn't doing this anymore she can't bring her skating cred to the table to get top skaters and coaches is my suspicion, plus it's probably a heck of a lot more work and time consuming to prepare and produce an interview. I like the commentary and Dave's new partner. If all he does now is opinion recaps I'm fine with it. Good job Dave and Jonathan.
:agree:

Last edited by a moderator:

Candy clouds

Rinkside
I want Jenny to come back also.

This other guy is loud, obnoxious and nasty towards every other skater expect Gracie. Not to mention that he acts as if he's some king, because of some little opera he's in :rolleye: I don't like his attitude, not even Dave is that rude.

However, the lady, (Emily Tuttle?) that co-hosted during the olympics, was logical and cool. I wouldn't mind seeing her again.

flutzy13

On the Ice
I want Jenny to come back also.

This other guy is loud, obnoxious and nasty towards every other skater expect Gracie. Not to mention that he acts as if he's some king, because of some little opera he's in :rolleye: I don't like his attitude, not even Dave is that rude.

However, the lady, (Emily Tuttle?) that co-hosted during the olympics, was logical and cool. I wouldn't mind seeing her again.

I've watched the episode and I'm just not seeing the rudeness. He was positive about Gracie, Polina, I/K, P/B, S/S and Jeremy to name a few. I appreciate Emily's insight but I find the show to be more fun when Jonathan is on. And he's barely talked about his opera career but I'm pretty sure he's performed all over the world and at the Met so it's not "some little opera." If you want skating commentary without any criticism, I would suggest the icenetwork editorials and Skating magazine which both serve as USFS mouthpieces. TSL is witty and makes fans really think about the state of the sport. It's at a much higher level IMO than any other skating coverage out there. I think the objective was never to inspire young people to skate but to make skating fun again for fans who had become somewhat disenchanted. For me, it's certainly done that.

Jenny appears to have left by choice and I miss her but wish her well. I do hope Dave continues though as I think he's been the driving force the entire time. And I do think he'll get more interviews without her. He seems to have a direct line to Ashley, Rippon, MT/M etc. and it seems like the skaters understand that the snark comes from a place of appreciation for the sport.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
I've watched the episode and I'm just not seeing the rudeness. He was positive about Gracie, Polina, I/K, P/B, S/S and Jeremy to name a few. I appreciate Emily's insight but I find the show to be more fun when Jonathan is on. And he's barely talked about his opera career but I'm pretty sure he's performed all over the world and at the Met so it's not "some little opera." If you want skating commentary without any criticism, I would suggest the icenetwork editorials and Skating magazine which both serve as USFS mouthpieces. TSL is witty and makes fans really think about the state of the sport. It's at a much higher level IMO than any other skating coverage out there. I think the objective was never to inspire young people to skate but to make skating fun again for fans who had become somewhat disenchanted. For me, it's certainly done that.

Jenny appears to have left by choice and I miss her but wish her well. I do hope Dave continues though as I think he's been the driving force the entire time. And I do think he'll get more interviews without her. He seems to have a direct line to Ashley, Rippon, MT/M etc. and it seems like the skaters understand that the snark comes from a place of appreciation for the sport.

I love it because it's nice to see some real criticism and analysis of skating rather than just fluff pieces about working hard. Saying someone has reached their potential (which was the "meanest" thing said in this broadcast) is not mean. It's not calling someone a bad skater, or a bad worker, or fat, or an insulting name. It's totally legitimate sports analysis. Replace the skaters that TSL covers with any major league sports players and there's nothing controversial about what they say. If mainstream media can call Stanford-educated football players "thugs", then there really should be nothing controversial about a podcast leveling criticism. You don't need to be a skater to analyze the sport. I'm sick of the whitewashing and oversensitivity in skating. It's a real sport, with real athletes and deserves real coverage.

anyanka

Record Breaker
I enjoyed the recap.
And to me, I've heard a LOT worse watching commentators during NBA finals and the Super Bowl.
Dave's alleged nastiness (I don't sense it at all, just some mild sarcasm) is junior-level.
And quite frankly I'm really tired of the "I just want to do my best and we're all friends" nonsenese.
These are fierce competitive athletes, some of the most temperamental and dramatic of them all. They will be able to take it.
And I think the skaters as a whole get it, they get interviewed on TSL as well.
I don't think any of the competitors are losing any sleep from mild commentary on TSL.

P.S. Jonathan Beyer is delicious and now that I find out he's also a baritone ... YUM.

jennyanydots

On the Ice
I thought the recap was good as well. I've watched TSL from the beginning and Dave has actually toned down the snark a lot. His choice of words is much softer than before and he usually tries to add some positive notes when he critiques. I also wish that Jenny would comeback but Jonathan is great.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I am a HUGE fan of TSL. I'm still cracking up about how Dave says China choose its female pairs skaters (I don't wanna ruin it for anyone who hasn't watched it yet).

The snark is much much tamer than you would hear in any average living room of a serious fan, but much funnier. I like Jonathan a lot, but I do hope Jenny comes back. The three of them would be a real treat to watch, particularly because this is going to be a drastically new quad.

GF2445

Record Breaker
I do like Jonathan alot. He has a very interesting of view on things. I also like his other host, Emily as she really engages more with the skating terminology side of things.

Wow if sports commentary is America is like that alot, i need to make sure when i do watch tsl, i need to come with a different mind to make sure i can stomach it better. Its just different to how people discuss sports in Australia.

I hope that when the off season is in full swing, tsl will be back to doing interviews and book reviews because those were my favourite parts of tsl and when they had the big guests on, it was something special.

euroskate

Final Flight
i did not follow everything and don´t want to search so pleas tell me why jenny kirk is not doing this any more

jcoates

Medalist
FYI...

TSL has a new series starting yesterday from a pair of skating coaches focusing on the "nuts and bolts" of skating. Both of their resumés sound impressive. The male coach was also a competitor and has apparently worked the D/W and V/M.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Does anyone know Jenny's plans for when she finishes law school?

Reason for asking: a law degree can be a useful background for many fields but the legal profession is going through seismic changes with some old/established/reputable firms either merging or going belly-up (in a few of the worst cases). The ones that remain are often hiring on a contingency basis instead of the traditional 8-year path to partnership. There are a lot of unemployed or under-employed lawyers out there, including alums of the top schools. Overall it's a not-so-brave and sometimes ugly new world and I'd hate for Jenny to get caught up in that vortex.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Does anyone know Jenny's plans for when she finishes law school?

Reason for asking: a law degree can be a useful background for many fields but the legal profession is going through seismic changes with some old/established/reputable firms either merging or going belly-up (in a few of the worst cases). The ones that remain are often hiring on a contingency basis instead of the traditional 8-year path to partnership. There are a lot of unemployed or under-employed lawyers out there, including alums of the top schools. Overall it's a not-so-brave and sometimes ugly new world and I'd hate for Jenny to get caught up in that vortex.

The trend amongst my lawyer friends is to hire them not just on this basis, but to also hire subject-matter experts as "consultants" or external counsel to do that work for them. Let's say that a litigation firm needs to disclose evidence but there is a challenge as to whether certain evidence is admissible if it's an invasion of an unrelated third party's privacy. That firm then outsources that part of the challenge to a sole practitioner or smaller boutique to handle and they pay them for the research only. This is pretty much the way a lot of firms are going these days if they can't hire someone full-time in-house, or if they can't expand their business enough for everyone to have a solid book of business.

You've got a point though, I've seen some attrition amongst the more traditional firms (large regional and maybe a multinational or two) in favour of more workable business arrangements.

Then again, Jenny may opt to become a prosecutor. I understand that it's becoming an attractive option since if you work for the DA's office in the US for about 10 years or so, they forgive your law school debt or a significant portion of it.