Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What About Nordic Skaters?

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by luisARG View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3wFBxyqqCY

Joshi FS in Worlds... beautiful!
    You really think so??? I mean, she lands some jumps, but her spins are so slow, she has no stretch or elegant line, she really doesn't hold her moves, she has very limited performance skills, and she picked a Xena-themed program that is every bit as tacky as a Xena program seems like it would be. She just isn't a star and to me she isn't fun or interesting to watch. Her sister was more elegance but is having difficulties with the jumps.

I think Jenni Saarinen could develop into a nice performer in a few years, as could the other Finnish girl Liubov Efrimenko if she gets some decent choreography.

Custom Title
    She was sucessfully behind her posibilities.. never can do a "clean program".... Viktoria is like Kiira, stylish and jazzy, very old school... Jenni is awesome, Efrimenko is... mmmm, no interesting....

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Thanks to those of you who live in Scandinavia and Finland for your insights and information! It's always interesting to me to see how different cultures view skating. One thing about Russia that has given it a terrific advantage in the paired disciplines (pairs and ice dancing) is the traditional idea that dance is a manly pursuit. I think this comes from the powerful folk dance tradition in so many regions. I remember the first time I saw the Moiseyev folk troupe on tour as a child, and I was transfixed by the sheer force of the dancing. This translates into a larger pool of male skaters, I think. (And they still manage to find plenty of guys to play hockey!) By contrast, Scandinavia sounds like the U.S. and Canada. (Though Canadians have a long and splendid heritage of solid pairs and fine ice dancers.)

I love that Sweden and Finland are such stars at synchronized skating, though! One of the few international competitions they showed on American TV that I could actually get was won by a Swedish team, as I recall.
    Thanks Olympia for this: "...those who live in Scandinavia and Finland"! It's one of my biggest pet peeves when people say that Finland is part of Scandinavia. It's not, though it is one of the five Nordic countries. Most people even in Finland don't know this and refuse to believe when corrected For instance, I worked as a trainee in the Finnish foreign office, and most of my superiors there didn't know this!!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TMC View Post
    Thanks Olympia for this: "...those who live in Scandinavia and Finland"! It's one of my biggest pet peeves when people say that Finland is part of Scandinavia. It's not, though it is one of the five Nordic countries. Most people even in Finland don't know this and refuse to believe when corrected For instance, I worked as a trainee in the Finnish foreign office, and most of my superiors there didn't know this!!!
    who would think Finland is a Nordic Country
    it doesnt even speak a Scandinavian langauge branch

they are finno-ugric uralic branches that originated in the Urals in Russia

Quote Originally Posted by alebi View Post
    I heard that Joshi is training triple axel, is it true?
    It is true, and her attempts are really good. You can see it on her instagram page @joshihelgesson

Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post

Finland is actually bilingual. In Western Finland they speak Swedish.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ILoveFigures View Post
    It is true, and her attempts are really good. You can see it on her instagram page @joshihelgesson

Finland is actually bilingual. In Western Finland they speak Swedish.
    Im talking about Finns and Finnish language ancestry, they are not Scandinavian branch at all
    their ancestors are from finno-ugric branch that originated from the Urals region in Russia

While Lepisto and Korpi were most successful, Nordic skaters aren't very interesting. There just isn't an emphasis on figure skating.

The most interesting skater was Adrian Schultheiss who had some pretty weird programs.

Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post

It is a Nordic country (Sweden, Finland, Norway, Iceland, Denmark), but not Scandinavian...

Custom Title
    Adrian Schultheiss still compete?? He was nice!! Majorov is ugly to see... well TES, but no interesting

Custom Title
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g4CpOIr0Js
    Last SP for Kiira! beautiful!

Well, most Finns speak Swedish as a second language and their institutions are based on Scandinavian models.

Custom Title
    Anyone know what Kiira's plans are? Does she plan on continuing? I hope so!

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    I absolutely loved Kiira's skating. I really hope she can overcome her injuries and continue.

Schultheiss' best performance, portraying an "inmate who escaped the asylum" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8hj3QbVU8g

A quad, 2 3axels, clean performance...

He also did a robot program some years ago. I don't remember what year but the crowd loved it. His edging is awkward but an overall decent spinner and interpreter. He does manage to convey the themes of his programs choreographically quite well but who knows what he could do with a world-class choreographer.

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPack View Post
    While Lepisto and Korpi were most successful, Nordic skaters aren't very interesting. There just isn't an emphasis on figure skating.

The most interesting skater was Adrian Schultheiss who had some pretty weird programs.

Nordic countries are really good at another wild and crazy thing called ski jumping!

No one seems to have mentioned Rahkamo & Kokko (sp?) or are we only talking about singles?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast