Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: What held back Asada's PCS?

Moa can do Adios Nonino with her eyes close. Stop trying to sell propaganda that that program it is harder than any other program. Frankly, I think Mao, Kim and and Carolina giving time with a program can skate to anything and make it look good. As oppose to other skaters. However, some fans, commentators and even judges like to see them skate to what is comfortable. If Yuna Kim had time with Adios Anonimo it would have a master piece by the end of the season, she did not have enough time with the program.
    Last edited by Minze2001; 04-03-2014 at 10:14 AM. Reason: made unforgivable mistake of misspelling something

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Minze2001 View Post
    Moa can do Adios Anonimo with her eyes close. Stop trying to sell propaganda that that program it is harder than any other program. Frankly, I think Mao, Kim and and Carolina giving time with a program can skate to anything and make it look good. As oppose to other skaters. However, some fans, commentators and even judges like to see them skate to what is comfortable. If Yuna Kim had time with Adios Anonimo it would have a master piece by the end of the season, she did not have enough time with the program.
    Well Moa can with Adios Anonimo, can Mao with Adios Nonino? :P It is tough, not a propaganda, consult your nearest none biased ice dancer if available.

Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    Well Moa can with Adios Anonimo, can Mao with Adios Nonino? :P It is tough, not a propaganda, consult your nearest none biased ice dancer if available.
    Thank You for correcting my mistakes. I am humble by it. Do you have the numbers of any ice dancers?

Custom Title
    I can't see Mao doing Adios Nonino just as I can't see Yuna doing Nocturne. I mean, sure, they can try but they will look funny. They are different skaters.

On that note, I am still puzzled and pissed off by Bells of Moscow that Tarasova gave Mao for Vancouver. It was not a choreo that suited Mao.

Quote Originally Posted by usethis2 View Post
    I can't see Mao doing Adios Nonino just as I can't see Yuna doing Nocturne. I mean, sure, they can try but they will look funny. They are different skaters.

On that note, I am still puzzled and pissed off by Bells of Moscow that Tarasova gave Mao for Vancouver. It was not a choreo that suited Mao.
    I see what you mean, but I think giving a chance to develop a choreography Mao, Caro and Kim can make it great. I know most Mao fans hated Bell of Moscow, but when she performed clean at 2010 worlds I loved it.

Custom Title
    Yuna said Adios Nonino is the most difficult "SHE" has either done. No point to compare to others. It only means Yuna challenged herself and did her best for Sochi OG. Yuna's Adios is definitely a masterpiece in MY mind and that is enough for me.

Custom Title
    It is odd but I find myself REALLY like Bells of Moscow and consider it an all time great artistic program of Maos. Honestly I thought it is a better and more fully realised program than anything she has done since Vancouver Olympic season, where they are genuine all round choreography and performance. Her World Champion version has real aggravation and all out angst that raised that program to a whole different level. Her Rach 2 at Olympics is similarly superb for different reasons, 110% performance helped by real life circumstance, 60% choreographed content.

Maybe because I don't have that baggage of familiar with what a light and lyrical skater Mao is 'suited' and known for and only saw the programs with fresh eyes, but honest I was so impressed with a Japanese lady (normally associate with timid and softness lady like traits) can put out such an emotional European program, surely that is what transcendence is about. Really Mao was the Fire, Yuna was the water at Vancouver. Water won there, but fire is impressive when burn bright like at worlds. Mao made me appreciate what difficulty in this sport can struggle to achieve and just how amazing it is to overcome, Yuna made me appreciate what effortless beauty in finesse, refinement, delicacy and precision can combine with power, speed, strength that made this sport totally unique and special, one with the music, not at the expense of it.

Together they are the Ying and Yang, the night and day, the sun the moon, the rain the wind, that balanced the ladies figure skating universe. With Kostner the rainbow occasionally shining through. Colourful, interesting but disappear too quickly. Totally unreliable yet people wax lyrical hoping to get a peek of its brilliance every now and then.

Custom Title
    I don't like Kim's Adios Nonino. I don't care who skates it. It's a boring program. DW has to choreograph better programs next season, since all his programs this past season were boring.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Minze2001 View Post
    I see what you mean, but I think giving a chance to develop a choreography Mao, Caro and Kim can make it great. I know most Mao fans hated Bell of Moscow, but when she performed clean at 2010 worlds I loved it.
    I don't like the "Bell of Moscow" which is way too heavy, angry and dark for Mao. Tat put a huge burden on Mao's tiny shoulders. However, Mao skated the hell out of it, at the end of the season, I even enjoyed it. Mao is such a fighter.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by yyyskate View Post
    Yuna said Adios Nonino is the most difficult "SHE" has either done. No point to compare to others. It only means Yuna challenged herself and did her best for Sochi OG. Yuna's Adios is definitely a masterpiece in MY mind and that is enough for me.
    I agree. There are so much nuances in that program. It reminds me of Lu Chen's Adios Nonino, but the feeling is completely different.

Custom Title
    It's not that Mao cannot do a program exploring dark side of human conditions. It's that the specific choreo and the interpretation of Bells of Moscow was bad. Especially the Vancouver one.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by usethis2 View Post
    It's not that Mao cannot do a program exploring dark side of human conditions. It's that the specific choreo and the interpretation of Bells of Moscow was bad. Especially the Vancouver one.
    She's matured a lot since then. I don't think she could do something profound or sensual the way Kim or Kostner can. Her style can be light-spirited (her SP last year), ethereal (Chopin) or regal (her FS this year), but I don't think she can deliver deeper human emotions although it'd be interesting to see her try.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Components View Post
    Failing to recognize that PCS is largely technical and looking at it from that point of view - NOT EVEN HALF of PCS is "Artistry"
    The performance component is certainly part of "artistry" and the transitions component has a little bit to do with it as well. Transitions become more difficult when executed exactly in time with the music. A spread eagle into a Triple Axel in one program can be more difficult than the exact same spread eagle into a Triple Axel in another program. So PCS are at least 60% "artistry".

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    She's matured a lot since then. I don't think she could do something profound or sensual the way Kim or Kostner can. Her style can be light-spirited (her SP last year), ethereal (Chopin) or regal (her FS this year), but I don't think she can deliver deeper human emotions although it'd be interesting to see her try.
    Oh that I agree wholeheartedly. Actually IMO Yuna and Mao went after each other's style since.. I don't know when.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    A lot of people including myself find Mao's Sochi LP in Sochi (and for me even at Worlds) to be the most profoundly moving performances they have ever seen, ranging from the depths of melancholy to defiance and ultimately teary-eyed redemption. The effect of a skater on someone's emotions is highly subjective, so it's best not to get in an argument about differences of opinion. Glad that you find her adept at expressing a range of other emotions.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast