Dick Button: What Went Wrong With Figure Skating | Golden Skate

Dick Button: What Went Wrong With Figure Skating

Meoima

Match Penalty
From Newsweek 3/31/14

Nowhere are foxes put in charge of the henhouse—nowhere, that is, except in skating. For more than a decade, the International Skating Union (ISU) has been presiding over the decline of figure skating: television ratings, television coverage and overall popularity are all down. How does the ISU respond? For almost 40 years, it has been run by speed skaters. The current president frankly admits, “I am a speed skater. I know nothing about figure skating.” He can’t even whistle as the ship sinks.

Continued...

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Thank you so much for posting a quote, Meoima.

Last night, Lorna Brown posted on Facebook a link to the original story ( http://www.newsweek.com/opinion-what-went-wrong-figure-skating-238955 ), but Newsweek is one of those webistes that only lets you visit 5 times for free. And I used up all 5 visits by leaving the page and going back to it a few times. So, I never got finished reading it!

I don't know anything about what sort of opinions Dick expresses when commentating. But he has absolutely hit the nail on the head here. The governing body of figure skating should be run by former figure skaters.

Motorcycle racing is my first love, and there isare hardly ever any crises in it. The only problems that ever arise are minor issues, largely due to outside factors like the economy.

Why are there hardly ever any crises? Because the governing body, the teams association and the riders association are ALL run by former racers. These people have been there and done that, and know what works and what doesn't.

It is my personal belief that to be run successfully, sports, like all businesses, need to be run by people who have been there themselves, and know the business inside out.

And although figure skating and speed skating both involve people on an ice rink wearing boots with a bit of metal stuck to them, they are vastly different sports. And people from one sport will not fully understand the other.

So, in my opinion, yes, Dick is right. For both sports to be successful, the ISU does need to be split into a Speed Skating Federation, and a Figure Skating Federation.

CaroLiza_fan

TMC

Record Breaker
This I don't get: if figure skaters bring in the money, how come they are not separated yet? Do the speed skaters have majority in the ISU, as in if there were to be a vote for/against separation, would figure skaters automatically lose?

I remember after the SLC scandal there was an attempt to form a separate FS governing body but that fizzled out. Wonder why?

Meoima

Match Penalty
Speedy DOWN and DICK BUTTON as the new president, anyone with me?

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^ Would :love: to see that happen. If it can't be "Uncle" Dickie (age issues, health, etc.), then someone who shares his views & knowledge!

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I wonder if things will be better if it does indeed come to pass, that Gailhaguet succeeds Cinquanta - which everyone seems to expect.

Yes, he was implicated in the 2002 SLC scandal. But is that really a big deal?

What I'm getting at is: personally I have to wonder if Gailhaguet is really any different to any other top ISU official... just that he (and Le Gougne) had the misfortune of getting caught.

So many scandals over the years... are those just the tip of the iceberg? Are they all in on it? How many never got caught?

Perhaps actually, Gailhaguet is no worse than anybody else in the ISU... but at least he is a former figure skater...! :p

The danger is that Cinquanta will complete his latest plan to destroy figure skating, before he gets kicked out in 2016. Then there might not be anything left to form an independant organisation with.

alebi

Medalist
I really hope that so many important voices we heard after Sochi bring something new to the system and not see the problems disappear after Summer. The only thing I would avoid is to remark everytime Adelina's name as if it was her fault. In every "revolution" people need a target to destroy but this doesn't have to be Adelina's career. I know we need an example but this is really not the sole one (and I doubt he just discovered the problem with the Olympics). Instead I would always read judges' names and presidents' names and not generic "one of the judges had previously been suspended ... and another was the wife of" or "why are speed skaters running the .." (that we all know who they are but generic public maybe not). You are an adult, take your responsibilities! And if you decides to aim for something bigger ;) I'm sure you'll have a great support from the base

alebi

Medalist
Has anyone from Asia (esp. Japan) considered to run for the presidency? We're all taking for granted Gailhaguet which is one of the worst thing if we want a change :disapp:

phaeljones

On the Ice
From Newsweek 3/31/14

Nowhere are foxes put in charge of the henhouse—nowhere, that is, except in skating. For more than a decade, the International Skating Union (ISU) has been presiding over the decline of figure skating: television ratings, television coverage and overall popularity are all down. How does the ISU respond? For almost 40 years, it has been run by speed skaters. The current president frankly admits, “I am a speed skater. I know nothing about figure skating.” He can’t even whistle as the ship sinks.

Continued...

Thank you Meoima for posting this thread. Button is right about everything on this. Thank goodness a prominent voice of wisdom is speaking out.

The changes are going to have to come at the demands of North American and Asian federations though. The Russian Federation loves what went down at Sochi.

jkun

Final Flight
If anything, the new ISU president should be Japanese. Figure skating is infinitely more popular in Japan than anywhere else..

NYscorp6

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Could someone refresh my memory please? What was the 1998 scandal Dick is referring to? I didn't follow Ice Dancing closely back then but seem to recall something in that discipline perhaps....

Could someone refresh my memory please? What was the 1998 scandal Dick is referring to? I didn't follow Ice Dancing closely back then but seem to recall something in that discipline perhaps....

That was the time Canadian judge Jean Senft recorded a telephone conversation in which Ukrainian judge Yuri Balkov tried to get Senft to support the Ukrainian team in exchange for a bronze medal for Bourne and Kratz. Balkov's proposal was, third place Canada, foruth place Averbukh, fifth place France. Balkov also mentioned that the Lithuanian and Czech judges were already on board.

Senft blew the whistle and reported the conversation, with the tape recording, to the ISU. Senft received a 6-month suspension. (The messenger is always to blame. Senft received the cold shoulder from the Canadian federation at the time, as I recall, but later received an award for Canadian Sports Integrity.)

Balkov received a year's suspension, and I think he is out of figure skating now. Oh no, wait...

Last edited:

cooper

Medalist
That was the time Canadian judge Jean Senft recorded a telephone conversation in which Ukrainian judge Yuri Balkov tried to get Senft to support the Ukrainian team in exchange for a bronze medal for Bourne and Kratz. Balkov's proposal was, third place Canada, foruth place Averbukh, fifth place France. Balkov also mentioned that the Lithuanian and Czech judges were already on board.

Senft blew the whistle and reported the conversation, with the tape recording, to the ISU. Senft received a 6-month suspension. (The messenger is always to blame. Senft received the cold shoulder from the Canadian federation at the time, as I recall, but later received an award for Canadian Sports Integrity.)

Balkov received a year's suspension, and I think he is out of figure skating now. Oh no, wait...

and speedy called balkov's offense "minor.." :eek:hwell:

NYscorp6

On the Ice
Country
United-States

Thank you Mathman for the reminder. I do remember that back in those days I always felt the Ice Dance discipline result was pre-determined if you will, with very little movement in placements if any at all. Perhaps that was part of my limited interest. It is funny in a strange way that my thinking was similar this year with the men's and ladies events being set up as a coronation of sorts for Patrick and Yuna prior to any skating taking place at the Olympic games; and I must say it truly bothered me. Perhaps that is why I'm not so bothered by the results and all the controversy of the ladies result. The technical merit was outstanding.

speedbomb

Spectator
Thank you for posting this Meoima.
I agree with Button in every words....The nonsense has to stop right here, right NOW.

noskates

Record Breaker
Before y'all start printing up Button for President buttons - have you seen him lately? He's had a stroke or something - can barely walk without assistance and is very fragile. At the US Nats when they honored past Olympic gold medalists.....he wouldn't have made it out on the ice without Tenley Albright's help and then she held on tightly to him during the whole presentation. I realize that's not the point but.....

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Speedy DOWN and DICK BUTTON as the new president, anyone with me?

:agree: :points: :agree: :points:

Absolutely! Or, as iluvtodd says, someone else w/ similar views & knowledge. Admin and (unfortunately) political skills also needed because face it: whoever takes this on has to be able to deal with all kinds of people with all kinds of agendas and backgrounds.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Before y'all start printing up Button for President buttons - have you seen him lately? He's had a stroke or something - can barely walk without assistance and is very fragile. At the US Nats when they honored past Olympic gold medalists.....he wouldn't have made it out on the ice without Tenley Albright's help and then she held on tightly to him during the whole presentation. I realize that's not the point but.....

No one is seriously promoting Dick Button for ISU President. It's just wishful thinking. And if he is so infirm, how is he doing all those book signings? And you're right--it isn't the point.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia

No one is seriously promoting Dick Button for ISU President. It's just wishful thinking. And if he is so infirm, how is he doing all those book signings? And you're right--it isn't the point.

Well, people do come back after a stroke - if it was a stroke of course.
He might do very well together with a young and energetic vice-president :yes: