Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Kaitlyn Weaver & Andrew Poje

Custom Title
    Procrastinating by Watching my Fav. Skaters
    Quote Originally Posted by slider11 View Post
    Yes, I agree that "light" has never been their best suit. I guess the paso has to be serious so I suppose a distinctive fd is in order. They've always had a close, flirty relationship on the ice so maybe this fd can be a je suis malade without the malade! I'm wondering if they are considering waltzy classical like die fliedermous?
    Ohhh, I'd be down with that!!! I really loved their Je Suis...so I'd love something similar

Custom Title
    They will compete at Nebelhorn Trophy this year! Which is coming up very soon!

And their ALS Ice Bucket Challenge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT0L...ature=youtu.be

Custom Title
    Their FD music is to Max Richter's recomposition of "Four Seasons." I really like this muscial arrangement; and am very interested to see which pieces they use and how it is pieced together!

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/Ne...S/Default.aspx

Really nice interview. They describe their new programs!

Custom Title
    Just saw their SD at Nebelhorn. That program is sex on a stick. I need a cold shower now.

Custom Title
    I really like their SD; and I imagine it'll only get better as the season goes on! They were really great. They do latin dances well.

I love her dress, especially the skirt of it! It's very pretty and flowy on ice. I can't wait to see their FD tomorrow!!!!!

Custom Title
    FD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbYf...FACjNBHeDwddww
    SD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtI4...wddww&index=52

I really love their programs!!! I can't wait to see how they develop over the course of this season!!!

Custom Title
    Well you know paso really is the male peacock dance, and only two of the men at Nebelhorn seem to have realized it: Andrew, of course, being one of them (the other, surprisingly, is Jean-Luc Baker). This should just sizzle by the second half of the season. It totally plays to all of their strengths.

I'll have to watch the FD a few more times. It's a quirky musical arrangement of the Vivaldi. My biggest initial complaint is that the diagonal step sequence looks more stapled on than integrated. And they're repeating their cantilever lift (spectacular as it is, I am not sure if it wise to repeat it for a second year in a row). And the video I was watching was choppy, so it is hard to get a sense of the program as a whole. Early days. Looking forward to seeing how it develops. It is definitely A Bid For Gold program.

Rinkside
    Granted, I'm a big W/P fan, but am trying to be as impartial as possible in assessing their new FD. No matter how I slice it, for me it's a work of art (I am so in awe of their willingness to challenge themselves with respect to different styles of dance).

WeakAnkles, are you aware that Max Richter's version of Four Seasons is not a rearrangement but a recomposition? According to Richter, he discarded 75% of Vivaldi's music. It's funny that the two criticisms you mentioned are some of my favorite parts of the program. I think what you are referring to as the cantilever lift is the curve lift where Kaitlyn is supporting pretty much 100% of her body weight. It looks like in this version, Andrew actually ends up holding her with only one hand, rather than two. Why not use it this season--it's spectacular and very difficult. I hate to go here, but there are more than a few dance teams who recycle lifts--and whole programs--season after season. I also love the diagonal footwork--it is fast and difficult, and they make great use of the new rule that allows a retrogression in diagonal and serpentine footwork sequences.

I hope I don't sound preachy, but I'm just so in love with this program that I want everyone to love it. Obviously, that's not possible. Ice dance has been my favorite discipline for a long time now and if I've learned anything, it's that to truly appreciate ice dance, I had to make a real effort to understand it. The beauty of ice dance is that programs really can grow over the course of the season, and actually with each watching of a particular performance. I'd love to know your thoughts, WeakAnkles, after you've seen a few more outings of Four Seasons.

I definitly love their FD , even more than their SD, and her dress is perfect. I cant believe C/B won the FD

Custom Title
    I love both of Weaver and Poje's dances, too. But I think the musical cuts of the Vivaldi Four Seasons are a bit ragged in parts when they are trying to make the music fit the choreography rather than the skating match the music. Love to see that ironed out. Regardless, I do like it's potential very much and did prefer it over Chock and Bates.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by beebee51 View Post
    Granted, I'm a big W/P fan, but am trying to be as impartial as possible in assessing their new FD. No matter how I slice it, for me it's a work of art (I am so in awe of their willingness to challenge themselves with respect to different styles of dance).

WeakAnkles, are you aware that Max Richter's version of Four Seasons is not a rearrangement but a recomposition? According to Richter, he discarded 75% of Vivaldi's music. It's funny that the two criticisms you mentioned are some of my favorite parts of the program. I think what you are referring to as the cantilever lift is the curve lift where Kaitlyn is supporting pretty much 100% of her body weight. It looks like in this version, Andrew actually ends up holding her with only one hand, rather than two. Why not use it this season--it's spectacular and very difficult. I hate to go here, but there are more than a few dance teams who recycle lifts--and whole programs--season after season. I also love the diagonal footwork--it is fast and difficult, and they make great use of the new rule that allows a retrogression in diagonal and serpentine footwork sequences.

I hope I don't sound preachy, but I'm just so in love with this program that I want everyone to love it. Obviously, that's not possible. Ice dance has been my favorite discipline for a long time now and if I've learned anything, it's that to truly appreciate ice dance, I had to make a real effort to understand it. The beauty of ice dance is that programs really can grow over the course of the season, and actually with each watching of a particular performance. I'd love to know your thoughts, WeakAnkles, after you've seen a few more outings of Four Seasons.
    Yes the lift is spectacular and yes it is difficult, but there is also the matter of "familiarity breeds contempt." Now that is a deliberate overstatement, but I do believe that a lift loses it specialness when it is repeated year to year. I already want to yell at Hawayek and Baker for repeating the same curve/cantilever lift (they did in both their SD and FD last year, and they're doing it in their SD AND FD this year--enough already!). YMMV, of course.

I agree with slider11 that the music cuts in the FD are jarring. It's the old temptation to paste together all the "best bits" of a piece of music, whether it makes for a bumpy listening experience or not. The only time in recent memory where I think that approach has worked is D/W's Scheherazade. There isn't a natural transition into that diagonal, wither musically or choreographically; it's too abrupt; for me it feels stapled on. It disrupts the flow.

And actually, yes, I CAN believe that C/B won the FD over them here. I realize there is not much love on these boards for C/B, but that is by far the most sophisticated program they've ever done, and it is obvious they have been working their butts off through the off-season. W/P's FD looks much less practiced at this point in the season. But it's still Early Days. I think the FD has loads of potential, but I also think it does them and their team a disservice not to acknowledge the program still has kinks which need to be worked out.

Custom Title
    I love W/P, and I adore their SD. Actually, this is the first time I've loved their SD more than their FD! I think this is largely because the FD, while it has moments of real beauty, does feel choppy; conceptually I kind of get what they're aiming at, having all four seasons shown in this skate, but the music cuts are jarring. Winter pops up out of nowhere to justify leaving the step sequence to the end, and I agree with slider11 and WeakAnkles that it doesn't quite work... Hopefully they can iron that out. I still remember how they reworked Humanity in Motion - their performance of that program at Worlds still gives me goosebumps.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Cat View Post
    I love W/P, and I adore their SD. Actually, this is the first time I've loved their SD more than their FD! I think this is largely because the FD, while it has moments of real beauty, does feel choppy; conceptually I kind of get what they're aiming at, having all four seasons shown in this skate, but the music cuts are jarring. Winter pops up out of nowhere to justify leaving the step sequence to the end, and I agree with slider11 and WeakAnkles that it doesn't quite work... Hopefully they can iron that out. I still remember how they reworked Humanity in Motion - their performance of that program at Worlds still gives me goosebumps.
    ITA, I really like their FD and feel I can see what they're wanting to show, but it would be wonderful if they could iron it out as nicely as they did to "Humanity" bc for me, it's just not quite there. I am huge WP fans, but...I feel like they need to continue working on their FD or it may not take them to where they want to be.

I really enjoy their SD! But, that's no shocker. They do latin programs very well, imo.

WeakAnkles Ita with you on CB vs WP's FD; and the lifts. I would love to see more variation. AND! I feel like their first big lift needs to be ironed out because right now it doesn't flow and look effortless. It seems choppy from point a to point b.

Interview with Angelica Krylova. She speaks about W&P too: Krylova `Indecisive coaches don't survive in this sport' by Simonenko/Vorobieva

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast