Kaitlyn Weaver & Andrew Poje | Page 24 | Golden Skate

Kaitlyn Weaver & Andrew Poje

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
^ They are listed to compete in ACI per Skate Canada’s website.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
WeaPo is skating a tribute to Denis as their FD, I love them so much :luv17:

yuna13

On the Ice
Just need a minute to process that they are going to use "sos d'un terrien en détresse" for their fd!
After their work on "je suis malade", i can't wait to see this fd. I can't think of anyone doing a better job than them to this song.

CAS

On the Ice
Love this piece and can imagine them doing a wonderful job with it. Wasn't sure what they could do next but this I love.

CAS

On the Ice
What a great RD they have, the standout of the season so far! Really enjoy the approach they took.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I am reposting from ACI thread, a true jewel of the dance, one of a kind maturity and expression.

Kaitlyn and Andrew - class, sophistication, maturity, a quiet seduction wrapped in silky package that I wish would last more that just 3 minutes, definitely the best RD I saw so far this season. What I love the most is how non-literal this dance, their interpretation, expression felt despite beaten up ad nauseum Libertango theme. The program somehow felt fresh in its intimacy, little details full of meaning, purpose of doing them - there was nothing flashy, too obvious about the image aside of being passionate here and now; I feel like this kind of natural emotion going so in synch with the character of dance is a rarity nowadays, but WeaPo achieve it. I like how movement compliments the music, not overshadowing it: sharp, clinical movement of their legs going together with beautiful frames in their upper bodies with lovely, continued flow in motion overall. Loved the rhythmical accentuation, especially with tempo change in step sequence with some Tango-stylized movement, the pattern was spacious, precise and lovely set in the music (loved particularly the exit from it), for now the best 'new' lift (waiting for PSquared though!) with great fluidity in changing positions. One thing is to have a great program, beautifully set to the music, another one is to fill this shape with a substance that will make a difference, impact, make a revelation from just creation - and for me WeaPo did it with Tango theme in this RD; the music with this choreo seems quite simplistic and straightforward (so it is easy to recognize Tango core influences there), but the essence is about both physical and expressive chemistry going between them, how their bodies align (even when they are apart) , lean towards each other, how they responded to every movement of the other one, this emotions bubbling under the surface, provoking, teasing them and us like Ted said. I am impressed by how detailed, attentive their partnering was (like Andrew's leading in the pattern), nothing was rushed, a lot of polish and nuance in both execution and interpretation area of performance which proves a great maturity and well-thought concept, vision of the dance. And for me they showed that a Tango can have variety on ice, that slower and quicker parts can be equally interesting, equally strong and that it can feel genuine, natural, deep, not evoking momentary emotions, fake gestures full of unecessary drama just for program's sake. I feel that from some time they are trying to adapt dance style in SD, now RD, to their personal aesthetic and signature features as a team, but never trying to prevail over it - this RD is such sophisticated example of that.

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
Absolutely loved their free dance. It was so emotional knowing they were skating a tribute to Denis. It was breathtaking. The emotion really took it to another level.

Viiktoruu

On the Ice
I have to say that I cannot think of enough words to explain how moved and astounded I am by WeaPo's new programs. Both of them - so beautifully choreographed in my opinion, and their best programs to date.

I had teary eyes after like 30 seconds of their free dance, and I didn't even know the program is a tribute to Denis Ten. Now it makes me even more of an emotional mess. :cry: They have something special here, I hope the judges realize it fully, and I hope we get to see them at some smaller event even if they won't compete at the Grand Prix.

:love:

peepsquick

Final Flight
I can appreciate the intention in the FD (Tribute to their friend Denis Ten) but I am a bit underwhelmed by the choreography itself. It lack the originality they usually bring to the field. Sorry!:(

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I can appreciate the intention in the FD (Tribute to their friend Denis Ten) but I am a bit underwhelmed by the choreography itself. It lack the originality they usually bring to the field. Sorry!:(

To be honest, I do not associate Kaitlyn and Andrew that much with 'originality' in terms of choreography - for me what sets them apart from the rest and infuses all their work regardless of dance/material style is a 'soulful lyricism' and emotional package hidden in the smallest gesture. So for me it is more on how they fill out the movement design with their palette of feelings, making it meaningful and giving an impact to the choreography than having or not 'originality' as for design.

Yes, the choreography in motion looks for now a bit rough, some missed connections and lost speed, synchronicity at places, but I applaud very much to the fair, clean simplicity of it: this kind of program that sources insipiration from live and work of another person - a person who was their friends apart from being a figure skater too - for me does not require an innovation brought on the table; in my opinion it is more a matter of locating the right message and emotion inside every move, gesture to voice them out sincerely, adjust their own aesthetic of movement and expression to some 'higher' perspective. And I feel that they're done that with huge respect, elegance and passion that reflected both their and Denis.

And yes again, the lifts may be recycled, but I am happy to see these particular ones that work so well with this musical piece. And the last choreo lift is one of their signatures, so seamless and statuesque quality of it. Love the power of small gesture details woven inside choreography: touch of hands in between twizzles or finishing spin position with hands joined, live this feel of quiet, respectful intimacy created between them, this music and a memory of Denis. For me, WeaPo were and are masters of bringing some raw emotion to the surface and this FD is no exception, however everything is more subtle and melancholic. I think that they will work on it in the Autumn, giving it even more emotional package supported by their movement.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
I was finally able to rewatch their beautiful free dance, after getting overwhelmed yesterday seeing it in the arena. I fully appreciate how their dance works with the dynamics of the music. For example, towards the end, their movements in the character step sequence matches so well with the emotion conveyed by the singer, with a synchronized slide exit transition that perfectly hits the accent in the music, and a effective ending lift that commences on a rest in the song before the last line is sung.

Some stunning photos posted on Kaitlyn's IG and it's heartwarming to see the appreciation from fans/fellow skaters of how their new dances have touched them.

yuna13

On the Ice
Their fd is subtle, beautiful, i mean the last minute is just breathtaking.
What i like about them is that unlike a lot of north american team they don't oversell , it feels genuine, true.

Their RD is class, elegant, you could see the difference with the other couples.
To me they have better dances than H/D. And also there is only one maria!

Hope they will continue until montreal cause the gpf will be in france next year and i want to see them live.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
The view from the seat where I sat at for practice wasn't great and the zooming may be a bit distracting (it was my second time filming a runthrough) but I wanted to share my practice fancam. Hope you enjoy: https://youtu.be/6StMhU_Dkyg

Interspectator

Record Breaker
So beautiful! Like it's beautiful squared, because they're extremely beautiful, and so is your sketch! :love:

Thanks so much. The beauty is easily transmitted because they are so beautiful. :biggrin: (though in truth, I failed at this sketch 3 times before I could say it was acceptable) :drama: