Korea revenge in 2018? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Korea revenge in 2018?

anyanka

Record Breaker
In figure skating Korea has no horse in the race. Maybe that will change in a few years but as of right now, Russia is looking pretty good in pair, dance and especially ladies. Say what you will about the Russian federation but once they got the bid for Sochi, it seems like they started manufacturing figure skaters! There is a ridiculous amount of depth and talent coming out of Russia and they are all under 18 years old right now which means they'll likely be around for this coming quad and the one after that...

As for Korea, it'd be nice to see So-Youn Park and Hae-Jin Kim start skating well. I think So-Youn is gorgeous and I love her style; Hae-Jin is a lovely performer. As of right now they aren't making any waves and without Yu-Na to buffer their chances, there's a good chance Korea might disappear from figure skating if those two (or someone) doesn't step up and start skating well.

The next four years will be very interesting, that's for sure.

It could be like Nagano in 1998, when the Japanese didn't have any contenders in the races. We saw in SLC, Torino, Vancouver and now Sochi that there were hometown faves who were expected to medal if not outright win (and in some cases did) and not just show up and collect polite applause.

If the current crop of Russian juniors aren't worn out by the end of the next quad, bet on there being many dozens more to replace them. Russian nationals are the only nationals competitions more cutthroat and filled with talent than the Japanese nationals.

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
OMG, stop generating this hate towards the Russians and the Russian athletes. I am sure Korean audience will be really nice and supportive. Everything will be done to ensure fair judging. And with the amount of money that Russia is currently investing in sports, there's a good chance that the team will be stronger and will gain even more medals. And with the number of Russian people that will attend the Olympics(South Korea and Russia cancelled tourist visas for each other), the Russian athletes will receive an additional support.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
If what happened with lipniskaya during the season 2013-2014 is any indication, medal contenders can be manufactured in relatively short time. Rochette waz treated as a second tier skater up until the season leading up to the vancouver games. I don't see why girls like Soyoun Park and Haejin Kim can't be transformed into pyeongchang stars. Yuna's loss triggered such an outrage, only because Russia was too greedy and it went too far. They should have been content with a bronze.

I agree that Park and Kim have potential... moreso Park who has effortless jumps (when she's on), and has a graceful quality and balletic background. If she develops more speed and intricacy between her elements, and increases her consistency (she already has good difficulty), I can picture her being a podium contender.

Alba

Record Breaker
Hi everybody, I'm Alba from Italy. (sorry if my english is not quite perfect).
I've been watching figure skating since 1984 Sarajevo, thanks to Torvill&Dean. I was a little girl but I'll never forget that Bolero!!!

Here is my opinion on this subject, which I don't think will be an issue but nevertheless.
First of all I think in order to win something you need good skaters/talented etc., and as a previous user said with the amount of money that Russia is currently investing in sports, there's a good chance that the team will be strong. How strong we will see, in 4 years things can change, but I can hardly see Russia going down on figure skating for years to come. Korea would make sure to invest and win in other sports where they can, and are strong. If they would like to boo to the russian skaters I'm afraid that's "fine" with Russia.
Whoever think that russians can be intimidated by that, obviously knows nothing about their culture as well.
They can rise from the ashes, and they are very competitive (very much like the americans in this respect) and "tough" people.
Their country history speaks a lot about it. I highly respect that, and whoever thinks that the Soviet/Russian dominance in this sport has been thanks to corruption is biased, or very naive at best.

mikiandorocks

Final Flight
Welcome Alba :)

4 years is a long cycle. Injuries happen. New kids appear. Russia seems to have an amazing group of skaters nowdays. Let's see if they all stay until 2018.

Alba

Record Breaker
Welcome Alba :)

4 years is a long cycle. Injuries happen. New kids appear. Russia seems to have an amazing group of skaters nowdays. Let's see if they all stay until 2018.

Hi miki :)

That's true, so many things can change and go wrong, let's see.
These 4 coming years are going to be very interesting as far as ladies, as well as men, are concerned.

aschiutza

On the Ice
I cannot think about asian people as being able to boo an athlet. Naturally , if Kim will compete, the cheering for her will be imense, like the russian did with their skaters.

The russian will have the same chance as whatever place in the world outside Russia.

b-man

Final Flight
Or try and get together a judging panel that is anti-Russia? And come up with a tech panel that is anti-Russia?
I'm not saying it's gonna happen. But Russians have to know that it's a possibility. 'Cause you know, what comes around, goes around....

Yes, a lot of damage could be done with a single Korean controller, just as the Russian controller did in Sochi. Not saying it will happen, but . . .

usethis2

Medalist
Yes, a lot of damage could be done with a single Korean controller, just as the Russian controller did in Sochi. Not saying it will happen, but . . .

According to some here, that's perfectly fine. And the judges can be carried away by the audience if they feel like. :p

fredtx121

On the Ice
With the 2018 Olympics being held in Korea, I was wondering how much backlash there will be with Yuna Kim not getting the gold in Sochi. I feel the Koreans will get their revenge and the judges will mark down Russian skaters scores or increase other skaters marks. I am still baffled of how Adelina got such high PCS marks in Sochi. I think what happened in Sochi was Russia's way of revenge for the 2002 Salt Lake City games where they felt Irina should have won the gold over Sarah. But in my opinion, Sarah definitely deserved to win the free skate that night. I would have even had Michelle over Irina, putting her in 2nd place with Michelle winning the gold even with the fall. Irina's performance was slow,boring and she did have problems on her flip. Anyways that's just my opinion.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
But the judges themselves are not Korean. And right now (though it might change, it is 4 years until then) it seems to me that the only girls with real Gold Medal Chances are all Russian. So shouldn't the Lady who skates best that night win the Gold medal no matter if she's Russian? I think the only way this won't happen is if for example Park and Radionova skate with the same layout and they would give the Gold to Park because, hey, it is in South Korea. And that would be ok.

fredtx121

On the Ice
It wouldn't matter if the judges aren't Korean, someone will be paid off to fix the scores and judging panel just like they were in Sochi. Adelina's scores were very much inflated. She hadn't even competed in a World Championship and her best PCS marks were in the low-mid 8's in the European championships.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
The Koreans don't have the resources to control judging,

(Which is something that comes to the Russian Fed very naturally, It's a tradition even)

Even if they had them than i'm not sure they operate like that,

Unless they decide to be students of the Russians and try to emulate

Also, 4 years is a long time from now ;)

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
It wouldn't matter if the judges aren't Korean, someone will be paid off to fix the scores and judging panel just like they were in Sochi. Adelina's scores were very much inflated. She hadn't even competed in a World Championship and her best PCS marks were in the low-mid 8's in the European championships.

She competed in one World championship, Right before Olympics, She finished 9th and had the same PCS as Kaetlyn Osmond (60+)

MaiKatze

Record Breaker

Adelina was in the 2013 Worlds. She underperformed there. Had a lacklustre season that year, but the potential has always been there. The judges were absolutely willing to give her good scores if she didn't bomb like in GPF, the signs were there. I'm not defending her win in Sochi, I actually think that Yuna should have won. But it wasn't as surprising as many seemed to think. Adelina was in the perfect position because all the pressure and attention was on Julia.

cooper

Medalist
The Koreans don't have the resources to control judging,

(Which is something that comes to the Russian Fed very naturally, It's a tradition even)

Even if they had them than i'm not sure they operate like that,

Unless they decide to be students of the Russians and try to emulate

Also, 4 years is a long time from now ;)

that's why.. even if there are extra SAMSUNG for bribing i doubt it will be effective.. like what i said the korean fed is terrible in politicking.. they are clueless..:laugh:

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Adelina was in the 2013 Worlds. She underperformed there. Had a lacklustre season that year, but the potential has always been there. The judges were absolutely willing to give her good scores if she didn't bomb like in GPF, the signs were there. I'm not defending her win in Sochi, I actually think that Yuna should have won. But it wasn't as surprising as many seemed to think. Adelina was in the perfect position because all the pressure and attention was on Julia.

Can we note (once again) that Sotnikova had a great FS at TEB 2013 and recived 65 in PCS just like Wagner,
And has since done nothing to logically up her PCS 10 points there, between bombing the GPF and losing Europeans,
Not that it is logical to up them 10 points in 3 months between 2 great performances anyways ?

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
that's why.. even if there are extra SAMSUNG for bribing i doubt it will be effective.. like that i said the korean fed is terrible in politicking.. they are clueless..

For now i agree ;)

But like i said, 4 years are a long time from now

it could be a case that they are taking notes :laugh: