The "I have a gut feeling that..." thread for '14-'15. | Golden Skate

The "I have a gut feeling that..." thread for '14-'15.

desertskates

Medalist
Just for fun!
It's way to early with a whole summer in front of us to predict what will actually happen next year. That, and the ice is slippery.
But does anyone have any funny gut feeling that something will happen? A surprise retirement? A surprising result?
Please share :)

desertskates

Medalist
Here are my funny little feelings, none of which have an real reason behind them: Adelina will retire. Mao will not. Polina will win US Nationals.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Yuzu's going to land the 4S perfectly at almost any competition.
Denis is going to win the silver medal at the worlds.
Unfortunately, Machida won't repeat the great performance from this year.
S/K will beat V/T one time next season, but not at the worlds.
Elena will win the european championship.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Adelina (or probably different girl) is going to try to jump 4T at the GP or another official competition. Not successfully.
I/K are going to skate together at least one more season.
Russian girls are going to win at least two medals at the worlds.
US team is going to win zero medals at the worlds for the second year in a row.
Russian team will get 12 spots for Worlds 2016.
V/T will win all their competitions and will set new world record in FP.
W/P and/or C/L will retire after next season.
More scandals and accusations about unfair judging.

zamboni step

Final Flight
Can't we please, please all just drink some happy juice and stop the personal attacks and nasty comments on what could be an interesting thread???

My gut feeling: Vera Bazarova will find a partner less truck driver-ish than Yuri Larinov. I/K will not break up. Polina Edmunds is done.

Nah she's just getting started.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
My gut feeling: Vera Bazarova will find a partner less truck driver-ish than Yuri Larinov. I/K will not break up. Polina Edmunds is done.

I too have a feeling Polina Koroebynikova 2.0, will get taller and taller
its the Polina curse :disapp:

jkun

Final Flight
Very excited for Polina. Her reputation has sky-rocketed since finishing 2nd at US Nats and her good showing at Sochi. I am very excited for her future. Her jumps are good!

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
So many of the girls are up in the air right now b/c they are so young. Adelina and Gracie are the only ones who have made it through puberty so far. Zijun had a growth spurt last year and she's been struggling ever since. Same thing for Liza T. Julia, Elena, Anna, Polina, Karen, and all of the baby juniors are all 15-years-old or younger...no one knows what will happen with their bodies in the next year or two.

desertskates

Medalist
Someone (I forget who) with a deleted comment asked me to explain why I had the feeling Adelina would not be back. And I really wish I had an answer for it. I wasn't surprised when she withdrew from Worlds, but then when the competition actually happened without her and I thought more about the depth is Russia, I just have that sneaky feeling that the Olympics was her last competition.
To add another gut feeling to my list: Aliona Savchenko and the new partner thing will never get off the ground. I don't think we'll ever see them compete.

anyanka

Record Breaker
My gut feeling is that China will announce that they could be the ones to beat in the next quad at 2015 Worlds.

In pairs: Sui / Han, Cheng / Zhang, new world junior champs all go top 8-10, at least one of them medals
In men: Yan Han gets on the podium
In Ladies: Li cleans her act up and gets in the top 5
In dance: ... er, never mind

We'll see China take more medals on the pairs GP series and at least one entry in each of the singles at GPF.

How's that for a gut feeling?

noskates

Record Breaker
I think Gracie will overcome all the criticism and skate "lights out" at Nats next year. I think Polina will continue to improve her technical scores but it will take a few years for her skating skills to catch up. I wouldn't be surprised if Adelina retires. I think China will own pairs for some years to come. I think Hanyu will struggle. I think (and hope) Jason Brown will put his quad into his programs and will win big at Nats in 2015. The Japanese will continue, however, to dominate in men's figure skating and Michida will be a force to be reckoned with.

I don't have a clue what Mao will do. I still enjoy watching her skate so much. I hope she doesn't retire.

anyanka

Record Breaker
I think if Mao retires or sits out the season, then the Japanese ladies will drop on the world stage unless Kanako steps up. If she makes good on her idea to go to college full-time, then it will be up to Imai and Miyahara to place well and the overall team performance will suffer a bit while they rebuild their national team. They can get their team up to a great level but it could take the whole quad to build. In the short run, all depends on whether Mao and / or Kanako retire.

Their men will continue to dominate and their nationals still the best to watch overall due to the high level of competition.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
In men: Hanyu dominates, Kovtun challenges Javier for the win at Euros, Yan has a breakthrough year even moreso than last year
In women: Lipnitskaia wins everything, Gold wins a GP but loses at Nationals to Edmunds or Wagner, Wagner makes the GPF, Radionova has an awesome year and medals at Worlds.
In pairs: Very exciting with MT/M, D/R, S/H, C/Z, S/K all vying for dominance... I picture S/K coming out on top but the other teams will make it close
In ice dance: W/P trade gold and silver at the GPF and Worlds with C/L (if I/K split up), perhaps a mini-rivalry throughout the season

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
In men: Hanyu dominates, Kovtun challenges Javier for the win at Euros, Yan has a breakthrough year even moreso than last year
In women: Lipnitskaia wins everything, Gold wins a GP but loses at Nationals to Edmunds or Wagner, Wagner makes the GPF, Radionova has an awesome year and medals at Worlds.
In pairs: Very exciting with MT/M, D/R, S/H, C/Z, S/K all vying for dominance... I picture S/K coming out on top but the other teams will make it close
In ice dance: W/P trade gold and silver at the GPF and Worlds with C/L (if I/K split up), perhaps a mini-rivalry throughout the season

lol at the pairs :laugh: who are C/Z ? :confused:
and V/T have no plans to retire fyi ;)

only S/H have a real breakthrough for next season

anyanka

Record Breaker
lol at the pairs :laugh: who are C/Z ? :confused:
and V/T have no plans to retire fyi ;)

only S/H have a real breakthrough for next season

Cheng / Zhang
If any Chinese team really breaks through, it'll be Yu/Jin. They look better-matched than C/Z, and IMO look more cohesive than S/H. But I do agree that if really S/H break through it'll be this season. Delayed considering they were considered the next superstars from about 2010-12.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Cheng / Zhang
If any Chinese team really breaks through, it'll be Yu/Jin. They look better-matched than C/Z, and IMO look more cohesive than S/H. But I do agree that if really S/H break through it'll be this season. Delayed considering they were considered the next superstars from about 2010-12.

its Peng / Zhang

s_parks

Record Breaker
Cheng / Zhang

Also, Sui/Han were held back last season due to Sui's illness, where they withdrew from the gp.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Okay here are mine:

Ladies: The negative: I think Polina Edmunds is done. I think Mirai Nagasu sadly is also done. I think Agnes Zwadzki is done. I think Ashley Wagner is done.

The positive: I think Eliza T. is about to rebound. I think Adelina will come out blazing on the GP and make the GP final. I think Kostner will also compete. I think Gold will make the GP final. I think Julia L. will also make the GP final.

Pairs: I think Bazarova and Larinov will both find new partners and that Vera will actually have the last laugh as she ends up in a more successful partnership than him. I think Aliona and the Massot will actually do well. I predict Denney and Coughlin are splitting. I think Mary Beth Marley will be back.

Dance: As others have said V/M and D/W are done. I think I/K will not split. I think Chock/Bates will make the GPF and maybe medal at Worlds.Unlike others I think Paul/Islam are on the way down and G/P are on the way up. I think (sadly) that Hubble/Donahue will retire.