Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: The "I have a gut feeling that..." thread for '14-'15.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    In men: Hanyu dominates, Kovtun challenges Javier for the win at Euros, Yan has a breakthrough year even moreso than last year
    In women: Lipnitskaia wins everything, Gold wins a GP but loses at Nationals to Edmunds or Wagner, Wagner makes the GPF, Radionova has an awesome year and medals at Worlds.
    In pairs: Very exciting with MT/M, D/R, S/H, C/Z, S/K all vying for dominance... I picture S/K coming out on top but the other teams will make it close
    In ice dance: W/P trade gold and silver at the GPF and Worlds with C/L (if I/K split up), perhaps a mini-rivalry throughout the season
    lol at the pairs who are C/Z ?
    and V/T have no plans to retire fyi

only S/H have a real breakthrough for next season

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    lol at the pairs who are C/Z ?
    and V/T have no plans to retire fyi

only S/H have a real breakthrough for next season
    Cheng / Zhang
    If any Chinese team really breaks through, it'll be Yu/Jin. They look better-matched than C/Z, and IMO look more cohesive than S/H. But I do agree that if really S/H break through it'll be this season. Delayed considering they were considered the next superstars from about 2010-12.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by anyanka View Post
    Cheng / Zhang
    If any Chinese team really breaks through, it'll be Yu/Jin. They look better-matched than C/Z, and IMO look more cohesive than S/H. But I do agree that if really S/H break through it'll be this season. Delayed considering they were considered the next superstars from about 2010-12.
    its Peng / Zhang

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by anyanka View Post
    Cheng / Zhang
    Also, Sui/Han were held back last season due to Sui's illness, where they withdrew from the gp.

Okay here are mine:

Ladies: The negative: I think Polina Edmunds is done. I think Mirai Nagasu sadly is also done. I think Agnes Zwadzki is done. I think Ashley Wagner is done.

The positive: I think Eliza T. is about to rebound. I think Adelina will come out blazing on the GP and make the GP final. I think Kostner will also compete. I think Gold will make the GP final. I think Julia L. will also make the GP final.

Pairs: I think Bazarova and Larinov will both find new partners and that Vera will actually have the last laugh as she ends up in a more successful partnership than him. I think Aliona and the Massot will actually do well. I predict Denney and Coughlin are splitting. I think Mary Beth Marley will be back.

Dance: As others have said V/M and D/W are done. I think I/K will not split. I think Chock/Bates will make the GPF and maybe medal at Worlds.Unlike others I think Paul/Islam are on the way down and G/P are on the way up. I think (sadly) that Hubble/Donahue will retire.

Custom Title
    W/P blossom
    Shib/Shib struggling and soul searching

V/T continue dominant
    S/H progress

Anna P outskates Julia L
    Adelina redeemption
    Elena R grows
    Mao NOT retire
    Gracie wins big

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post

Bobrova & Soloviev will turn pro or split upon the new of I&K continuing.
    this one is a long shot though of happening
    I/K splitting is more realistic than B/S splitting up anytime soon
    B/S have known to have good work ethic and have been together longer than I/K

Custom Title
    lol @ the idiots saying that 15 year old girls are done... Hoping that Polina is done will not magically make Mirai stop underrotating and put her on the Olympic team after the fact.

I have a feeling that we are going to see three of the four medallists from men's at Nationals this year on the podium again next year, but in a slightly different order/position...

(As an aside: Hmm, I have a problem. I want Max to bounce back strong and reclaim his National Title. I want Jason to build on his first great season with another and win his first National Title. I want Joshua to burst out from the shadows and rise to claim his first National Title, thus ensuring he has been National Champion at every level except Junior. Yes, there is a very obvious problem here. botherbotherbother.)

Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    lol @ the idiots saying that 15 year old girls are done... Hoping that Polina is done will not magically make Mirai stop underrotating and put her on the Olympic team after the fact.

I have a feeling that we are going to see three of the four medallists from men's at Nationals this year on the podium again next year, but in a slightly different order/position...

(As an aside: Hmm, I have a problem. I want Max to bounce back strong and reclaim his National Title. I want Jason to build on his first great season with another and win his first National Title. I want Joshua to burst out from the shadows and rise to claim his first National Title, thus ensuring he has been National Champion at every level except Junior. Yes, there is a very obvious problem here. botherbotherbother.)
    I think Polina and Mirai are both done. I have nothing specifically against Polina and thought she was great at Worlds and Olys, but she is a twig, far more than Yulia, and she has VERY large feet which is an indicator that she is very likely to also grow taller. I don't know if she is 'done' permanently, but I don't think puberty will be kind to her and she will just glide through it. I don't think I'm an idiot to think so, and this thread is for gut feelings anyway, idiotic or not. We'll see how she does.

Custom Title
    I have a feeling Polina E. will progress very well and the podium will be locked by Gracie, Ashely and Polina at home, and it will be out of other US ladies' reach.

Russian babies will continue to bring fresh blood to competitions.

Denis Ten will get better and better, but men's competition will be less exciting without Chan and Takahashi.

Down With It
    Can't predict the future, but..."gut feeling"...

- Polina Edmunds and Yulia Lipnitskaya(!) will not dominate like everyone thinks.

- Mao Asada will actually not end up retiring...(but could still take a break)

- Ashley Wagner's skating years will unfortunately catch up to her and she'll have to pull out of at least one event

- (This assumes both Asada and Kostner retire/sit out) We will be in for some sort of surprise at Worlds with the newly wide-open field up top.

It would be nice to get new faces up top...

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Can't predict the future, but..."gut feeling"...

It would be nice to get new faces up top...
    Wouldn't it?

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    Wouldn't it?
    You're telling me

Same old gets boring after a while. Probably part of the reason I partially tuned out of worlds (that and it was a post-Olympic one)...I knew what was going to happen already.

Custom Title
    I just cannot imagine in what world Polina would be done - she just started! Had to laugh at Karne and 3 men winning Nationals. I only want one of them to and the other two can fight over second and third. But I also agree that Lipniskaia will not live up to the pre-Olympic hype again. Not to say she won't win a GP but she won't dominate. I think the women are going to be really interesting in the coming years....and the men, too.

skating philosopher
    I already envisioned the moment Jason Brown did Riverdance at the Broodmoor Open that he would end up getting a major standing ovation at U.S. Nationals and shake things up. Obviously that gut feeling turned out to be an understatement since 1.) I did not have a gut feeling I would be there to witness it in person 2.) I did not have a gut feeling that he would make it to the Olympic team and 3.) Or that it would generate 4M+ views on YouTube.

So I'm sort of spent on gut feelings, I suppose.

I have a gut feeling however that Ashley isn't done yet, though.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast