The "I have a gut feeling that..." thread for '14-'15. | Page 4 | Golden Skate

The "I have a gut feeling that..." thread for '14-'15.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
my gut feeling:

* Sui/Han will challenge the World Pairs
* Gracie wins all her GP, Nationals then medals at Worlds
* US interest in FS will spike in Gracie's medal at Worlds endorsing her for Boston 2016 ( could see her doing some Hollywood cameos )
* Sinitsina will finally break it with Ruslan
* more pairs reshuffling with P/M and D/D breaking up
* Tuk retire becaue of her many injuries, will continue to struggle wit her weight
* the rising bubbly blonde, Elena Radionova will be the star of the 2014-15 season

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I think you should correct the name to "Korobeynikova". The way you put it sounds very obscene in russian :laugh:

a mistype
but there seems to be sort of a Polina name curse ?

look what happened

Polina Korobeynikova - grew too tall and is now into obscurity
Polina Agafonova - when she grew and filled out she now is a natural UR
Polina Shelepen - got injured and now into obscurity with No.1 Grimm Reaper Coach Sokolovkaya

I predict Polina Edmuns will suffer the same fate, her dad was very tall btw
she isnt done growing and will get taller

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
This is funny to me because there were a lot of people (some who considered themselves very "knowledgeable") stating outright that Jason would never get the 3A, either...

I agree that he's going to struggle with the quad the first year he puts it in--it's a new element and the comfort with it will come with time. I know he'll get it solidly down eventually. I hope he starts doing them next year so he can really be comfortable by the next Olympics.

AliceInWonderland

On the Ice
a mistype

look what happened

Polina Shelepen - got injured and now into obscurity with No.1 Grimm Reaper Coach Sokolovkaya

Isn't Kostner taller than Polina K?

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
a mistype

look what happened

Schade, I saw her live in Sochi and liked a lot. And I think her family came from Russia.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
This idea some are floating around that V&T would be scared of S&K at this point is an utter joke and wishful dreaming on your part. S&K are nowhere near V&T at this point, V&T with three huge falls even easily won Europeans over S&K who skated 2 clean programs.

:thumbsup:

YLFan

Match Penalty
I think Edmunds will be shown to be a good skater that happens to be young. Rather than a young phenom.

I think Gold will regress rather than top podiums.

I could see Pogrorilya having the biggest rise this season.

R.D.

Record Breaker
If it makes you feel any better watching Ashley nail that FS built my confidence back up. I'd love to see her ... skate with that much intent and execution consistently next season.

Probably too much to ask of her at this point in her career...

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
As for those of you calling Kovtun to beat Fernandez at Europeans, well I totally disagree, but we will see. All I can say is if that happens I will be hugely dissapointed in Javier and convinced he is never going to fulfill his potential.

that will only happen if Fernandez bombs Europeans

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
As for ladies, I am not sure that Mao will have enough motivation to come up with new programs. But she might reappear the season after the next. So Youn Park will compete with the Americans for the place in the top 5. The Russians will dominate most of the podiums but with the quota chances are high that some will fail every now and then, some may even get injured (hope it will not happen). Yulia will prevail but the choice for her next programs should be smart. The image of a small girl that everyone wants to protect might not play again. I would suggest her something with high energy yet emotional like Mozart No 40. Adelina will not retire and will be very competitive and hungry for medals. She will work very hard on her jumps and overcome edge problems.

phaeljones

On the Ice
Hanyu will land his 4S regularly, and continue his development generally. His skates will start to regain a bit of that wild artistry from his Nanami days.

Denis Ten will continue to amaze, showing up and podiuming at the moment just when everyone has kind of regularly forgotten about him.

Fernandez will go all out to prepare for the preliminary grand prix events so to make the grand prix final in Barcelona (in his home country), which in turn will push Hanyu and Nguyen to train harder and be better than they otherwise would be. Javier is really going to gun for it.

Machida will transfer the artistry that he presently attains in both his short and exhibitions over to his free skates, making him a real contender for gold and putting Hanyu on notice that the winning skate is going to have to be a clean pme.

Jason Brown starts developing his quad but also pushes his technical development generally all the while keeping his artistic presence. People will start to realize that Jason Brown is more than Riverdance.

Joshua Farris stays healthy, becomes consistent and starts to get noticed for how good he is.

Max Aarron never falls (although he may kick the boards down once or twice) on any of his jumps and starts to acquire a smoothness with a unique kind of (albeit a muted yet muscular) artistry.

Likely entering his last year and looking for closure, Adam Rippon will find both peace and inspiration, and drop the quad lutz. Working with Arutyunyan, he will learn that skating for himself to find peace within himself is the way that he can skate best.

Kevin Reynolds will keep his AC/DC short program, and it will be the hit of the year for sp’s.

Han Yan will lose those intermittent pauses he has in his programs so that they more smoothly flow and are more holistic. His triple axel will continue to be the longest traveled and most beautifully serene to watch.

Nathen Chen and Nam Nguyen will reduce the telegraphing of their jumps. (As well, Nam will better develop his spins.) Pitkeev will start to develop his artistry. Boyang Jin will gain more control and flow in his skates. Shoma Ona will get his triple axel perfected and develop his TES. These kids will all finish very closely to each other at junior worlds with no out and out favorite. (My gut says that Skate Canada will come to its senses and let Nam continue to develop in junior with his amazing peers but my brain objects and asks me: what skating federation comes to its senses?)

In his time off, Patrick Chan finds out what is best for him, realizes that he owes nothing to anybody, and that most people in his own country look back on his skating career, as it presently exists, as a complete and great one. The bottom line is that he should realize, with his time off, that he does not have to come back to skating to prove anything or fulfill any obligation or need, either to himself or anyone else. He will realize that he only should come back to skating because he loves to skate and he still needs to compete to express that love. The people who watch him, know him, care for him will be fine with whatever he does and support his decision.

My gut feeling is that Patrick will not be returning next year at all (maybe after that, but not next year).

Scovies

Final Flight
As far as Jason Brown getting the quad, has everyone seen this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOEynnwfK9A That's from May of last year. He can land one, apparently, but it wasn't consistent enough for him to put it in his programs this year. I predict a Takahashi-like quad for him next season -- beautiful when landed, but a nail-biter every time he attempts it.

After seeing Park So Youn give two gorgeous performances at worlds this year, I think she's in for a breakout season. She won't make the podium at worlds, but she'll get close.

makaihime

Final Flight
Gut feelings: :think:

-Patrick will take a year off, come back for one more season, the retire before 2018.
-The ice will be slippery for Yuzuru at the start of the season but he'll get it together mid-way and finish strong.
-Javier will have a great start but struggle in the middle and come back fighting at worlds.
-Han Yan will make his mark and land on the podium.
-Song Nan comes back fighting and will show us what he's made of.
-Jason will have a quad and have a rough season as well.
-Machida will have a great start to the season but will have to face challenges from the top-tier guys at worlds when they step it up.
-Aaron will have an amazing season but will not be on the worlds podium.
-Kevin will get better but still lags behind the other guys and won't land on podium.
-Mao will stay for another season then retire
-Kanako will stay for another 2 season then retire before 2018
-Yulia will struggle but still has a fighting chance for world champ
-Adelina will have a strong season as well, occasionally lands on the podium.
-Anna will land on the national's podium
-Nam has a great season,Canada pushes him and he won't be back in Jr's.
-Shoma Uno will finally get that axel, although it'll still be inconstant.
-Boyang will fade into obscurity (They need to stop trying to force this kid's quads :mad: he has so much potential )

In Team Japan, the women's are going to have a rough time keeping those 3 spots after 2015...:slink: And thats not just a gut feeling.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Jason Brown starts developing his quad but also pushes his technical development generally all the while keeping his artistic presence. People will start to realize that Jason Brown is more than Riverdance.

Joshua Farris stays healthy, becomes consistent and starts to get noticed for how good he is.

Max Aarron never falls (although he may kick the boards down once or twice) on any of his jumps and starts to acquire a smoothness with a unique kind of (albeit a muted yet muscular) artistry.

:)

jcsamex

Rinkside
Polina will struggle with growth spurf this season and might not be able to attend 2015 worlds.
Adelina will come back but she won't be able to win worlds because one of her teammates (possibly Lipnistkaia) will outskate her.
If Mao and Carolina actually retire, there will be a Russian sweep next worlds in the ladies' competition.
Ashley Wagner will surpass Gracie Gold at The GP series but will lose to her both at nationals and worlds.
Patrick Chan will win silver or bronze at 2015 Worlds.
Hanyu continues to be the king at least one more season.
V/T will keep up the good work and might win at Worlds.

Last edited:

makaihime

Final Flight
I also find it funny so many thing Machida will be a bigger threat to Hanyu than Fernandez next year. On that we will see, but I doubt it. It isnt impossible but I suspect this years worlds was the closest Machida will ever get to a world gold, and while Machida will remain a medal contender and could win other world medals, Fernandez is by far a bigger threat to Hanyu moving forward than Machida is.

My wish is for Yuzuru/Javier to be this quad's Yagudin/Plushy but without the animosity and bitterness. :yay: The question is can Javier get it together in time? :think: I really hope so.