Thread: Gold standard in men's skating

Hybrid View

Custom Title

Gold standard in men's skating

Who is the gold standard in men's skating? Call me biased but I think it's still Yagudin. No one has consistently presented such a perfect blend of artistry and technique since he retired. Chan is great but all of falls and controversial scores don't help. Hanyu has plenty of potential but his artistry isn't there yet. Discuss.

Custom Title
    At his best, like at TEB, Chan. That is the gold standard performance, in terms of one competition, so far. (Obviously the World Record score proves it).

In upcoming years, it could be Hanyu. Hanyu's SP in Sochi is definitely a gold standard program/performance.

In terms of technical consistency and artistry and answering the question generally, it's Yagudin. If we're talking jumping, then it's Plushenko.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    At his best, like at TEB, Chan. That is the gold standard performance, in terms of one competition, so far. (Obviously the World Record score proves it).

In upcoming years, it could be Hanyu. Hanyu's SP in Sochi is definitely a gold standard program/performance.

In terms of technical consistency and artistry and answering the question generally, it's Yagudin. If we're talking jumping, then it's Plushenko.
    All of this. Took the words right out of my mouth.

Custom Title
    I'd agree with those two, Yagudin and Plushenko. For me, Chan has lovely skating skills but always seemed to be missing something. Maybe it was just all the falls. More likely it's that I'm such a Takahashi fan that no one else pulled at me with the same magnetism.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I'd agree with those two, Yagudin and Plushenko. For me, Chan has lovely skating skills but always seemed to be missing something. Maybe it was just all the falls.
    I agree.

Love popcorn, hate horendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I'd agree with those two, Yagudin and Plushenko. For me, Chan has lovely skating skills but always seemed to be missing something. Maybe it was just all the falls.
    For the consistency, then Yagudin and Plushenko. Even their rivalry is gold standard, too. And their coaches' rivalry. Hollywood should make a movie about them.

About the younger ones:

Chan at TEB 2013 was definitely gold standard, or near-gold-standard at least, a close call. What a pity he didn't skate like that often. Why why why
    Hanyu's SP is another kind of wonder, but gold standard nevertheless. Oscar for the Choreographer please! What a pity his LP couldn't be like that.

Custom Title
    I
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    For the consistency, then Yagudin and Plushenko. Even their rivalry is gold standard, too. And their coaches' rivalry. Hollywood should make a movie about them.

About the younger ones:

Chan at TEB 2013 was definitely gold standard, or near-gold-standard at least, a close call. What a pity he didn't skate like that often. Why why why
    Hanyu's SP is another kind of wonder, but gold standard nevertheless. Oscar for the Choreographer please! What a pity his LP couldn't be like that.
    Their rivalry is indeed gold standard haha

Custom Title
    Well Yagudin and Plushenko. But as Plushenko said some time ago Hanyu is the most talented for him and is taking men competition to another level

I would watch it!

Custom Title
    Did somebody say HOLLYWOOD?! Oh em gee...please let Gracie Gold be in the movie! Her gorgeous blondeness rivals the most perfect Hollywood stars.

She can play Yana.

Love popcorn, hate horendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lbc2138 View Post
    All of this. Took the words right out of my mouth.
    I am absolute stunned, too.

As for me, the king of them all is the men on my avatar, no doubt about that.

On the Ice
    I am absolute stunned, too.

As for me, the king of them all is the men on my avatar, no doubt about that.
    Without a doubt, Meoima---I love seeing your avatar all over here; you should comment even more

Custom Title
    Somewhere over the rainbow where blue birds fly
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post

ITA