Results 1 to 15 of 91

Thread: Gold standard in men's skating

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    170

    Gold standard in men's skating

    Who is the gold standard in men's skating? Call me biased but I think it's still Yagudin. No one has consistently presented such a perfect blend of artistry and technique since he retired. Chan is great but all of falls and controversial scores don't help. Hanyu has plenty of potential but his artistry isn't there yet. Discuss.

  2. #2
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    5,032
    At his best, like at TEB, Chan. That is the gold standard performance, in terms of one competition, so far. (Obviously the World Record score proves it).

    In upcoming years, it could be Hanyu. Hanyu's SP in Sochi is definitely a gold standard program/performance.

    In terms of technical consistency and artistry and answering the question generally, it's Yagudin. If we're talking jumping, then it's Plushenko.

  3. #3
    Custom Title lbc2138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    At his best, like at TEB, Chan. That is the gold standard performance, in terms of one competition, so far. (Obviously the World Record score proves it).

    In upcoming years, it could be Hanyu. Hanyu's SP in Sochi is definitely a gold standard program/performance.

    In terms of technical consistency and artistry and answering the question generally, it's Yagudin. If we're talking jumping, then it's Plushenko.
    All of this. Took the words right out of my mouth.

  4. #4
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,495
    I'd agree with those two, Yagudin and Plushenko. For me, Chan has lovely skating skills but always seemed to be missing something. Maybe it was just all the falls. More likely it's that I'm such a Takahashi fan that no one else pulled at me with the same magnetism.

  5. #5
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I'd agree with those two, Yagudin and Plushenko. For me, Chan has lovely skating skills but always seemed to be missing something. Maybe it was just all the falls.
    I agree.

  6. #6
    Love popcorn, hate horendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    North of the world
    Posts
    4,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I'd agree with those two, Yagudin and Plushenko. For me, Chan has lovely skating skills but always seemed to be missing something. Maybe it was just all the falls.
    For the consistency, then Yagudin and Plushenko. Even their rivalry is gold standard, too. And their coaches' rivalry. Hollywood should make a movie about them.

    About the younger ones:

    Chan at TEB 2013 was definitely gold standard, or near-gold-standard at least, a close call. What a pity he didn't skate like that often. Why why why
    Hanyu's SP is another kind of wonder, but gold standard nevertheless. Oscar for the Choreographer please! What a pity his LP couldn't be like that.

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    170
    I
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    For the consistency, then Yagudin and Plushenko. Even their rivalry is gold standard, too. And their coaches' rivalry. Hollywood should make a movie about them.

    About the younger ones:

    Chan at TEB 2013 was definitely gold standard, or near-gold-standard at least, a close call. What a pity he didn't skate like that often. Why why why
    Hanyu's SP is another kind of wonder, but gold standard nevertheless. Oscar for the Choreographer please! What a pity his LP couldn't be like that.
    Their rivalry is indeed gold standard haha

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    533
    Well Yagudin and Plushenko. But as Plushenko said some time ago Hanyu is the most talented for him and is taking men competition to another level

  9. #9
    Custom Title lbc2138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    For the consistency, then Yagudin and Plushenko. Even their rivalry is gold standard, too. And their coaches' rivalry. Hollywood should make a movie about them.
    I would watch it!

  10. #10
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    5,032
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    For the consistency, then Yagudin and Plushenko. Even their rivalry is gold standard, too. And their coaches' rivalry. Hollywood should make a movie about them.
    Did somebody say HOLLYWOOD?! Oh em gee...please let Gracie Gold be in the movie! Her gorgeous blondeness rivals the most perfect Hollywood stars.

    She can play Yana.

  11. #11
    Love popcorn, hate horendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    North of the world
    Posts
    4,154
    Quote Originally Posted by lbc2138 View Post
    All of this. Took the words right out of my mouth.
    I am absolute stunned, too.

    As for me, the king of them all is the men on my avatar, no doubt about that.

  12. #12
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    I am absolute stunned, too.

    As for me, the king of them all is the men on my avatar, no doubt about that.
    Without a doubt, Meoima---I love seeing your avatar all over here; you should comment even more

  13. #13
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow where blue birds fly
    Posts
    644
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    At his best, like at TEB, Chan. That is the gold standard performance, in terms of one competition, so far. (Obviously the World Record score proves it).

    In upcoming years, it could be Hanyu. Hanyu's SP in Sochi is definitely a gold standard program/performance.

    In terms of technical consistency and artistry and answering the question generally, it's Yagudin. If we're talking jumping, then it's Plushenko.
    ITA

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •