Gold standard in men's skating | Golden Skate

Gold standard in men's skating

AliceInWonderland

On the Ice
Who is the gold standard in men's skating? Call me biased but I think it's still Yagudin. No one has consistently presented such a perfect blend of artistry and technique since he retired. Chan is great but all of falls and controversial scores don't help. Hanyu has plenty of potential but his artistry isn't there yet. Discuss.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
At his best, like at TEB, Chan. That is the gold standard performance, in terms of one competition, so far. (Obviously the World Record score proves it).

In upcoming years, it could be Hanyu. Hanyu's SP in Sochi is definitely a gold standard program/performance.

In terms of technical consistency and artistry and answering the question generally, it's Yagudin. If we're talking jumping, then it's Plushenko.

lbc2138

On the Ice
At his best, like at TEB, Chan. That is the gold standard performance, in terms of one competition, so far. (Obviously the World Record score proves it).

In upcoming years, it could be Hanyu. Hanyu's SP in Sochi is definitely a gold standard program/performance.

In terms of technical consistency and artistry and answering the question generally, it's Yagudin. If we're talking jumping, then it's Plushenko.

All of this. Took the words right out of my mouth.

I'd agree with those two, Yagudin and Plushenko. For me, Chan has lovely skating skills but always seemed to be missing something. Maybe it was just all the falls. More likely it's that I'm such a Takahashi fan that no one else pulled at me with the same magnetism.

Hanmgse

Record Breaker

:thumbsup: ITA

Meoima

Match Penalty
I'd agree with those two, Yagudin and Plushenko. For me, Chan has lovely skating skills but always seemed to be missing something. Maybe it was just all the falls.
For the consistency, then Yagudin and Plushenko. Even their rivalry is gold standard, too. And their coaches' rivalry. Hollywood should make a movie about them.:popcorn:

About the younger ones:

Chan at TEB 2013 was definitely gold standard, or near-gold-standard at least, a close call. What a pity he didn't skate like that often. Why why why:cry:
Hanyu's SP is another kind of wonder, but gold standard nevertheless. Oscar for the Choreographer please! What a pity his LP couldn't be like that.

AliceInWonderland

On the Ice
I
For the consistency, then Yagudin and Plushenko. Even their rivalry is gold standard, too. And their coaches' rivalry. Hollywood should make a movie about them.:popcorn:

About the younger ones:

Chan at TEB 2013 was definitely gold standard, or near-gold-standard at least, a close call. What a pity he didn't skate like that often. Why why why:cry:
Hanyu's SP is another kind of wonder, but gold standard nevertheless. Oscar for the Choreographer please! What a pity his LP couldn't be like that.

Their rivalry is indeed gold standard haha

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Well Yagudin and Plushenko. But as Plushenko said some time ago Hanyu is the most talented for him and is taking men competition to another level

Well, the points score is kind of irrelevant. They keep pushing it up, naturally, as time goes on, so you can't compare. But certainly Hanyu is extraordinary, and at a very early age.

Because I love Takahashi so much, I can't evaluate him objectively. Does anyone here have any thoughts on where he would fit in a discussion like this? Obviously his injury in 2008 or so hampered him, but even so, he managed to excel and reclaim many of his jumps. And then there's all the other stuff, much of which he does with no equal at the present time.

lbc2138

On the Ice
Won GPF, Olympic, Word title and broke 100 points in SP as the only one ? :think:

Not to mention Yuzu only repeated the feat after Yagudin himself won Olympic Gold and Worlds Gold. If that isn't the tell-tale sign of a future Gold standard in men's figure skating, I don't know what is.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Yagudin vs. Plushenko from 1998 to 2002. That was always the greatest rivalry (sorry Brian x 2). They pushed each other to do better and for me they were the very height of men's competition in the sport. (Although the next quad we will likely see the Japanese internal competition rise to the same level or surpass it.)

Meoima

Match Penalty
Won GPF, Olympic, Word title and broke 100 points in SP as the only one ? :think:

Spare the kid, he still has years to learn from other skaters and improve himself. I am so worried about him cause he is abusing his health at the moment. Because all of the expectations and pressure. And the media.
:disapp:
He is still far from being a refined skater at this age. I hope one day I will have the chance to see him perform with lots of power and confidence like Yagudin and Plushenko. These 2 are still like gods of figure skating at the moment. They are the bosses!

lakeside

On the Ice
Back in the old days, Yagudin and Plushy had few transitions and thus easier to be clean. I think Patrick and Yuzru rivalry is at a higher level.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Did somebody say HOLLYWOOD?! Oh em gee...please let Gracie Gold be in the movie! Her gorgeous blondeness rivals the most perfect Hollywood stars. :love:

She can play Yana. :laugh: