Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Gold standard in men's skating

Love popcorn, hate horendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HanDomi View Post
    Won GPF, Olympic, Word title and broke 100 points in SP as the only one ?
    Spare the kid, he still has years to learn from other skaters and improve himself. I am so worried about him cause he is abusing his health at the moment. Because all of the expectations and pressure. And the media.

He is still far from being a refined skater at this age. I hope one day I will have the chance to see him perform with lots of power and confidence like Yagudin and Plushenko. These 2 are still like gods of figure skating at the moment. They are the bosses!

Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    For the consistency, then Yagudin and Plushenko. Even their rivalry is gold standard, too. And their coaches' rivalry. Hollywood should make a movie about them.
    I would watch it!

Custom Title
    Back in the old days, Yagudin and Plushy had few transitions and thus easier to be clean. I think Patrick and Yuzru rivalry is at a higher level.

Custom Title
    For the consistency, then Yagudin and Plushenko. Even their rivalry is gold standard, too. And their coaches' rivalry. Hollywood should make a movie about them.
    Did somebody say HOLLYWOOD?! Oh em gee...please let Gracie Gold be in the movie! Her gorgeous blondeness rivals the most perfect Hollywood stars.

She can play Yana.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    Back in the old days, Yagudin and Plushy had few transitions and thus easier to be clean. I think Patrick and Yuzru rivalry is at a higher level.
    Exactly. 2002 programs were so basic compared to what the guys are doing now.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Exactly. 2002 programs were so basic compared to what the guys are doing now.
    Yea, good point. It's really hard to compare. Now it's a new generation that Chan and Hanyu are pushing forward and setting new trend

Another thing that defines, I guess the golden standard:

It's when you influence the generation after you. Plushenko definitely inspired the likes of Yuzuru, so I think when a skater is on that level of either artistry or technicality and starts influencing others in a good way, that's when they become the golden standard since everyone wants to be like them/beat them.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by HanDomi View Post
    Yea, good point. It's really hard to compare. Now it's a new generation that Chan and Hanyu are pushing forward and setting new trend
    Agreed! I also really like Machida. He's kind of like an early stages Takahashi in terms of his movements and he's got technical chops too! Javier with his 3 quads is also wonderful, and I think Maxim Kovtun with some more consistency can be excellent. Yan as well. The men's field is looking a lot more promising now that more and more guys are getting the hang of it, being able to balance technical difficulty and intricate choreography.

Did somebody say HOLLYWOOD?! Oh em gee...please let Gracie Gold be in the movie! Her gorgeous blondeness rivals the most perfect Hollywood stars.

She can play Yana.
    Why are you mocking the one who is not here (yet)? and yes, Gracie could play Yana, why not? who is going to be Plushenko? Himself?
    Yagudin, please come back to the field, we need you here.

Custom Title
    Yagudin! Without a doubt in my mind. But then I would put Patrick Chan in second. I think Hanyu has the skills but he hasn't developed the smoothness or the style yet. If his technical ability wasn't so great I think people would start looking at his skating skills and find them rather immature. I expect over the next 4 years that will change dramatically. He's still very young.

The thing about Plushenko is he polarized people. If you didn't abjectly adore him you probably didn't like him. The arrogance always bothered me. Still does.

It's still Yagudin for me - all the way!

Custom Title
    Why are you mocking the one who is not here (yet)? and yes, Gracie could play Yana, why not? who is going to be Plushenko? Himself?
    Yagudin, please come back to the field, we need you here.
    Gachinski.

Custom Title
    Agreed! I also really like Machida. He's kind of like an early stages Takahashi in terms of his movements and he's got technical chops too! and I think Maxim Kovtun with some more consistency can be excellent. Yan as well. The men's field is looking a lot more promising now that more and more guys are getting the hang of it, being able to balance technical difficulty and intricate choreography.
    Except Machida is not young anymore. At this stage, if he's only an early-stage Takahashi, then it's not good enough. As for Kovtun and Yan, they don't have intricate choreography yet. It's not even evident that they have technical difficulty. Kovtun may have some quad technique, but he doesn't even have a 3Lo and most of his jumps look very awkward. Yan definitely doesn't have technical difficulty yet as he can't skate an easy program cleanly.

Gachinski.
    Great idea, how about Kovtun as Yagudin? And Mishin and Tara should play themselves.

Tripping on the Podium
    Gold standard in men's skating?
    well, no doubt Patrick Chan with performance like at TEB2013. Those two performances were fantastic

Custom Title
    Great idea, how about Kovtun as Yagudin? And Mishin and Tara should play themselves.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast