Ice Dance Technical Requirements for 2014-15 released | Golden Skate

Ice Dance Technical Requirements for 2014-15 released

caitie

Medalist
I'm really interested to see how the "creative steps" key points work out next season.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Well, it is not that long since they added the choreographic lift. This is just returning to the previous situation, but with less points for the last lift.

anyanka

Record Breaker
I was longing for the day when they finally say that the required pattern / short dance style will be hip-hop so we could all watch B/S, C/L and I/K get down to Jay-Z/Beyonce duets and old Public Enemy records, but alas. Could you imagine?? :p

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Hip-hop was one of the junior dance options in the 2012-2013 season. Several Wheaton Academy teams used it: you can find them on the ISU junior grand prix YouTube channel. McNamara &Carpenter's Zombies among them :)

anyanka

Record Breaker
Hip-hop was one of the junior dance options in the 2012-2013 season. Several Wheaton Academy teams used it: you can find them on the ISU junior grand prix YouTube channel. McNamara &Carpenter's Zombies among them :)

:O
:D!!!

But I still want to see Lena and Nika werq to "Fight the Power"

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The last time we had the Paso Doble, it was used as a CD for both juniors and seniors in the 2008-2009 season. It has not been part of a short dance yet.

alebi

Medalist
It was in the L.A. worlds, right? I would prefer something totally new.. i remember an overuse of waltz, tango, flamenco, polka et similia. Who can list the rhythms used in last 10 years please? It would be interesting to see

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
As to what the ISU says Spanish Dances Rhythms are, they were just updated:

http://www.isu.org/en/single-and-pair-skating-and-ice-dance/news/2014/04/spanish-dances-rhythms
Direct link to the PDF document:
http://static.isu.org/media/142737/spanish-dances-rhythms.pdf

Examples of Spanish Dances: 
Jota – The fast tempo Jota originally hails from Aragon but is popular – with minor modifications – throughout the rest of Spain. With probable Moorish influences, the Jota is typically danced in two's as couples raise their hands above their heads playing castanets.
 Fandango – Until Flamenco came along, the Fandango was Spain's most famous dance. Lively, energetic and happy, it's a traditional Spanish Dance performed in couples.
 Flamenco – Flamenco is a passionate form of music and dance combining Jewish, Moorish and Andalucian influences.
 Paso Doble – The Paso Doble is a quick and lively one-step traditional Spanish dance.
 Bolero – a fast and spirited dance, the Bolero – featuring unexpected pauses and sharp turns – is one of the oldest and most traditional Spanish Dances.
 Sevillanas – Sevillanas are, in many ways, reminiscent of Flamenco. Joyful and undeniably happy, a Sevillana is a four-part music with an accompanying four-part dance

Last edited:

alebi

Medalist
so tell me if I'm getting wrong, but it's impossible to see (for example) Fandango selected as a Rhythm since they'll always use a generic and various Spanish Dance, right? :think:

no.. noob question since Paso Doble is also listed there sorry :bang:

so they want the Paso Doble pattern dance played with one of the Spanish Rhythm listed above

gkelly

Record Breaker
For the benefit of those who are new to ice dance, I'll clarify some of the history and terminology. Apologies to those for whom this is old news.

Originally ice dance competitions consisted of compulsory set pattern dances (in which everyone did the same steps in the same pattern with the same timing to the same few selections of music with the same rhythm and tempo), and free dances (in which each team chose their own music and made up their own choreography).
Many of the set pattern dances were invented in England in the 1930s. One of those was the Paso Doble.
Moiseeva/Minenkov 1981
Duchesnay/Duchesnay 1992
Klimova/Ponomarenko 1992
novice dance team 2013
Aside from the introductory steps and endings, every team does the same sequence of steps 2 or 3 times around the ice.
In next year's Short Dance you will see every team do this exact same sequence of steps (invented by Reginald Wilkie and Daphne Wallis in 1938) once, immediately followed by a "partial step sequence" with a couple of required steps and the rest up to each skater's choice. (That's a brand new kind of element)

Some Compulsory/Pattern dances have names that refer to the specific pattern (e.g., Westminster Waltz, Starlight Waltz). Others (Blues, Paso Doble, Quickstep) are only named for the dance rhythm, so it can be confusing when people or even the rules are referring to the rhythm in general or to the specific dance pattern.

Starting in the early 1970s, a new phase of dance competition was introduced called the Original Set Pattern dance (OSP) in which a specific type of dance rhythm was required and each team made up their own steps and pattern that had to repeat around the two or three times.

In 1984, the OSP required rhythm was the Paso Doble.
Bestemianova/Bukin
Torvill/Dean

In 1991, the OSP was replaced by an Original Dance (OD) competition phase, in which the dance rhythm was specified and there might be some required elements and other requirements, but they didn't have to repeat around the ice.
In 1996, the required OD rhythm was the Paso Doble.
Grishuk/Platov
Krylova/Ovsiannikov

Starting in 2000, dancers were given a choice of three or more related rhythms, of which they could choose two or three to use in their OD. In 2002, one of the rhythms was Paso Doble.
Denkova/Staviski
Fusar Poli/Margaglio
Anissina/Peizerat

A handful of OSPs and Original Dances were later adapted and adopted as official pattern dances that everyone had to do as compulsories, but none from the Paso Doble years.

Starting in 2011, the Compulsory Dance and the Original Dance were combined into one competition phase, now called the Short Dance.
Like the Original Dance, there is usually a choice of dance rhythms and a number of required elements. One of the required elements is one of the established pattern dances, which has to be performed to music (of the skater's choice) that fits the rhythm and tempo requirements for that pattern. The music rest for the rest of the Short Dance has more options.

Dance rhythms that do not already have an established pattern dance to go with them will never be the required part of the Short Dance but may be part of the pool of rhythms that teams can choose from that year.

How authentically the teams translate the off-ice dances to ice will vary.

alebi

Medalist
Dance rhythms that do not already have an established pattern dance to go with them will never be the required part of the Short Dance but may be part of the pool of rhythms that teams can choose from that year.

Thank you, that's the point that explains many things :)
I've never been a huge fan of ice dance exactly because I was always hearing the same dances, but now I know why :agree:
so no hope for rock'n'roll or modern dances :biggrin:

gkelly

Record Breaker
so no hope for rock'n'roll or modern dances :biggrin:

Not likely in Short Dances, unless the ISU develops a new rock'n'roll set pattern, possibly derived from one of the 1983 OSPs or the 1998 or 2004 ODs.

However, rock'n'roll and modern dance themes are pretty common in the Free Dance.