Weaver & Poje in 2014-2015 | Golden Skate

Weaver & Poje in 2014-2015

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
This is a thread to talk about Weaver & Poje next season and what their goals will be, what they might achieve, what kind of programs you would like to see them come up with, and anything else.

I would think their biggest goals are the 4 following things:

1. Win their first ever grand prix title. This one they should be able to do and would be a huge dissapointment if they dont. They will likely be assigned Skate Canada and I&K and C&L wont be able to be there as top 3 seeds, so would have to be a disaester for them to not win there. Hopefully they can win two.

2. Win their first ever grand prix final medal. They came close to this 3 of the last 4 seasons. Hope they can finally do it this time. I am sure either way this will be a goal of their season. They would probably like to win it if they could, but if they dont it might almost be better. They love to be the hunters.

3. Win their first ever Canadian title. Unless V&M show up (unlikely) they should do this barring a catastrophe of sorts. Will be the solidification of them as the new Canadian #1 when it happens.

4. Win the world title the just missed this year. This will obviously be the biggest goal of their season. Even another medal would be a great result, but even being thrilled with their silver this year, the 0.02 they lost by is sure to drive them to try and get that gold next year.

slider11

Medalist
Agree with all 4! I think another challenge will be to pick the right music. They have shined in that department the last 3 years. Some did not care so much for the "statue" piece last year, but I did. I do think Kaitlyn needs to improve those lines and they both can notch up the overall skating skills. But they continue to improve each year and have a great on-ice relationship. How about off ice? Is this a Virtue-Moir - guess if we're really together or is there a real connection? I'll go along with the charade if they like. Or even like more the reality! Also, any chance they'll be lured by Marina? Or will they be happy to stay with Krylova and pony-tail guy?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Agree with all 4! I think another challenge will be to pick the right music. They have shined in that department the last 3 years. Some did not care so much for the "statue" piece last year, but I did. I do think Kaitlyn needs to improve those lines and they both can notch up the overall skating skills. But they continue to improve each year and have a great on-ice relationship. How about off ice? Is this a Virtue-Moir - guess if we're really together or is there a real connection? I'll go along with the charade if they like. Or even like more the reality! Also, any chance they'll be lured by Marina? Or will they be happy to stay with Krylova and pony-tail guy?

I think they will stay with their current coaches. They are very happy with them and even if they appear to not have the political pull of some of their rival coaches, they will acquire that as they earn more respect as coaches in the skating world.

Off ice they are very close friends and roommates, but apparently not a couple.

I think a key for them will be the SD this year. Their SD this season was not that good, and held them back all season, even when they skated well; and often they struggled with it and couldnt skate it well (eg- Olympics, Rostelecom Cup). I think next years SD theme is better suited to their style and they will come up with something better.

I do wonder what kind of theme they will come up with for the FD though. Knowing them and the OD rythym they will likely come up with something steamy and romantic for the OD and did that for the FD this year, so probably should go in a bit of another direction to show the diversity judges want to see from a World Champion in the FD.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Why do people keep asking whether W&P are an off-ice couple? They've said they aren't and it's been posted here several times. I take their word for it unless they tell us differently.

All the top Canadian dance teams have good friendships off-ice (W&P, G&P, P&I, etc.) That's one of the reasons these teams work well together and have good chemistry.

People should be glad most of our teams have good relationships with their partners because it's not the case with some of the partnerships in other countries.

Orange Cat

On the Ice
Why do people keep asking whether W&P are an off-ice couple? They've said they aren't and it's been posted here several times. I take their word for it unless they tell us differently.

Well, I can think of a few things...
1. Their "getting in the zone" method is to gaze (romantically) into each others' eyes before skating. Tessa and Scott just went for a coffee or a meal.

2. The way they interact after they finish skating. The way Andrew just sometimes looks at Kaitlyn during interviews when she's not even speaking about him.

3. Their on-ice chemistry when they dance. Granted, this could just be a sign they are good friends who are doing a fabulous job.

But the first two... I have wondered whether they're dating!

Pangtongfan, 100% agree with all those goals. I hope they come up with a great SD; the paso doble suits them so well, but I have to say that while I've loved every one of their FDs this past quad, I haven't been enamoured with any of their SDs. (I so wish they could have won gold with their tango... ah well.)

anyanka

Record Breaker
This is only tangentially related but ... from certain angles, isn't Kaitlyn a dead ringer for Emmy-nominated actress Sarah Paulsen of "American Horror Story"? I totally think so.

We can make a figure skating movie. Here's a cast list:
Kaitlyn (Sarah Paulsen)
Elena I or Adelina (Mila Kunis)
Tessa Virtue (Katy Perry, if she acts!)
Tatiana Volosozhar (Angela from the US version of "The Office")

Is there a thread for this for skating doppelgangers?

sowcow

On the Ice

All the top Canadian dance teams have good friendships off-ice (W&P, G&P, P&I, etc.) That's one of the reasons these teams work well together and have good chemistry.

People should be glad most of our teams have good relationships with their partners because it's not the case with some of the partnerships in other countries.

Well, I can think of a few things...
1. Their "getting in the zone" method is to gaze (romantically) into each others' eyes before skating. Tessa and Scott just went for a coffee or a meal.
2. The way they interact after they finish skating. The way Andrew just sometimes looks at Kaitlyn during interviews when she's not even speaking about him.
3. Their on-ice chemistry when they dance. Granted, this could just be a sign they are good friends who are doing a fabulous job.

But the first two... I have wondered whether they're dating!

All the top Canadian dance teams have good friendships off-ice (W&P, G&P, P&I, etc.)

You missed the top Canadian team of Jenny Morgan & Victor Tobbs - nobody can quite figure out what's going on with them! Are they an "item" or not? Or, are they really just being "coy" about their real off-ice relationship??

Here's a short clip from one of the Canadian Olympic Committee's "Heading to Sochi - Athlete Profiles" videos showing Canadian Ice Dancers Jenny Morgan & Victor Tobbs.

meem

On the Ice
I thought they were a couple off ice because when Weaver had surgery in the middle of the 2012/13 season, there were articles about them in which they came across, IMO, as a couple based on the way they talked and the things they said (don't ask me what...I don't even have a link). Whatever was in those articles convinced me they were a couple so I was quite surprised a few days ago to read here that they're not. Do other ice dance/pairs teams live together?

olayolay

On the Ice
You missed the top Canadian team of Jenny Morgan & Victor Tobbs - nobody can quite figure out what's going on with them! Are they an "item" or not? Or, are they really just being "coy" about their real off-ice relationship??

Here's a short clip from one of the Canadian Olympic Committee's "Heading to Sochi - Athlete Profiles" videos showing Canadian Ice Dancers Jenny Morgan & Victor Tobbs.

Are they really a top ice dance team...? I can't even come up with a hit by googling them.

Edit: That's a skit by Canadian TV, LOL. I can't work out who they're parodying though...Bourne and Kraatz?

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
They obviously will win nationals and Skate Canada. WC podium is also possible. They're not going to dominate tho.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
They obviously will win nationals and Skate Canada. WC podium is also possible. They're not going to dominate tho.

Bobrova & Soloviev certainly wont dominate as you hope either though. If anyone dominates it will be I&K. It will either be I&K dominance or nobody dominating and the GPF and worlds probably won by a different team (1 of which could be W&P).

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Bobrova & Soloviev certainly wont dominate as you hope either though. If anyone dominates it will be I&K. It will either be I&K dominance or nobody dominating and the GPF and worlds probably won by a different team (1 of which could be W&P).

And where did I say B/S are going to dominate? And there's a difference between 'I think' and 'I hope'. I'm sure they'll do their best and it's enough for me. And with right programm (high TES) WC podium is possible for them too.
I agree with you about second part though. It would be great if we're going to see 3-4 pairs ready to win, and smallest mistake could worth any of them place on the podium. It would be terrific tbh.

Anyway this thread is about W/P. No need to bring other pairs here.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Agree with all 4! I think another challenge will be to pick the right music. They have shined in that department the last 3 years. Some did not care so much for the "statue" piece last year, but I did.

That program really came to life at Worlds. (hah)

I would have scored them on the podium.

BlackPack

Medalist
I think the judges will compensate them at Worlds 2015 for having given the World title to C&L rather than to them which I think they deserved.

They have a shot at the 2015 World title. B&S lost a lot of momentum this season, so it will be hard for them to overtake W&P et al. I&K still can't confirm whether they're splitting or not?:disapp: So their real rivals are C&L, B&S.

Chock and Bates will get on the World podium possibly in a season or two. Gilles and Poirier, Paul and Islam, Hurtado and Diaz are the future and will probably move up fast and become contenders soon.

I can't see the Shibs recovering their podium position unless there is a major makeover and Zoueva isn't the person to give them that, though they think she's doing a great job.

It all depends on whether these couples can create a unique masterpiece that expresses their style backed with excellent technical content.

Gilles-Poirier, W&P, Hurtado-Diaz, and B&S have done very special programs, but the other couples' programs are either boring/cringeworthy.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
W&P have said they are not a couple, so I take their word for it. Why would they lie about something like that? It would probably even help their popularity if they admitted to being an off-ice couple because a lot of skating fans like to imagine their favourite skating teams as being together off ice since it fulfills a fantasy element for some of them. Look at how often V&M's fans keep pushing for them to be in love in real life. The media also loves it when a pair are together off ice - look at the 'fairytale couple' and 'Canada's sweethearts' pieces that were done on Sale & Pelletier after 2002 SLC.

The other thing that is awkward about subjects like this is that unless a poster knows a skater personally, they don't really know for sure what the real deal is or what the status of a relationship is. I was surprised to see several posters on the 2014 Worlds dance threads claiming that they knew the romantic details of practically every skater in the competition. How is this possible unless you live next door to all these skaters? I can understand why Doris Pulaski decided to close the other gossip thread about skating couples.

noskates

Record Breaker
Ryan - if you don't know something for sure you just make it up. Welcome to the anonymous internet!! My guess is if a person was good friends with any of these skaters they wouldn't be posting their romantic involvements on this board or any other message board.