Thread: Mirai Uses Olympic Disappointment for Motivation

Hybrid View

Custom Title

News Mirai Uses Olympic Disappointment for Motivation

Icenetwork has a long article about Mirai and her post Nationals experience as well as how she's preparing for next season:
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2014/04/03/70805404

It's great to hear so much from her and her perspective on how things went this past year. Also I think it's great that she's using Adam Rippon for her competitive programs. He did such good things with On Golden Pond for her and it seems like they really enjoy working with each other.

There's also something to the tone of this article... you can tell she's growing up. I don't blame her for wanting to take her time before she commits to a new coaching situation. Especially if she liked Mura but USFSA wants her training in the states. While it seems a little strange that she isn't rushing to get a new set up, it seems that once she started listening to her own instincts and intuition she was able to create the environment and set up for herself that was going to lead to success.

I'm also psyched to see she's doing two programs for SOI!!! I guess the cast is small enough they can justify that, but it makes me want to go down to Anaheim for it that much more.

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    I wish her well. Her parents must be very proud of a daughter that is this talented and level-headed.

On the Ice
    Mirai is such a composed and graceful person. Wish her well in the rest of her skating career ! Hope she would be able to make it in 2018.

Custom Title
    This was Michelle Kwan's expression watching Mirai's exhibition gala at US Nationals from the tunels. She captured many's mood at that moment including mine.

http://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/h...86137756_n.jpg

So good for Brian to inspire her, it really shows how effective the elders of the sport can affect the next generation. Every generosity and kindness counts.
    Good for Mirai determined to prove to herself and rediscover the purpose and the joy of skating. To skate for herself, not as the next Michelle Kwan people seem to have packaged her to be. Take every moments of life's highs and lows and learn from them. Find the unique inner voice like her Galas, the Demon song gala sound amazing.

She has a uphill struggle in a crowded US field, but never say never. Don't forget she was US #1 once, and Olympics #4. Toughen up and come back stronger.
    Go and rediscover the magic, Mirai!!

Custom Title
    Thanks for posting. I am keeping my fingers crossed for her and hope she can knock everyone dead next year. I saw the video she posted (on Instagram, IIRC) of her practicing some really difficult (and Yulia like) spins.

I also think being part of SOI will be good for her confidence and she will have the support of the fans who felt she was shafted.

Custom Title
    Mirai was NOT shafted. Her 4CC performance in no way measured up to what the US ladies team did at Sochi and Saitama. As further proof, here is how the Seasons Best list stacks up:

6. 205.53 Gracie GOLD earned in Sochi (194.89 Worlds)
    9. 194.37 Ashley WAGNER earned at TEB (193.20 Sochi, 193.16 Worlds)
    12. 187.50 Polina EDMUNDS earned at Worlds (183.25 Sochi)

24. 175.37 Mirai NAGASU earned at CoR

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Mirai was NOT shafted. Her 4CC performance in no way measured up to what the US ladies team did at Sochi and Saitama. As further proof, here is how the Seasons Best list stacks up:

6. 205.53 Gracie GOLD earned in Sochi (194.89 Worlds)
    9. 194.37 Ashley WAGNER earned at TEB (193.20 Sochi, 193.16 Worlds)
    12. 187.50 Polina EDMUNDS earned at Worlds (183.25 Sochi)

24. 175.37 Mirai NAGASU earned at CoR
    It is unfair to compare the score that way when PCS have inflate through out the season and especially at the Olympics and Worlds and also subject to how many competitions you actually get to skate, especially after the massive Russian inflations at Europeans Championships all happened AFTER Cup or Russia. Also bear in mind Mirai skated at Cup of Russia, traditionally where US skaters have greater disadvantages.

A more fairer comparison will be when did others receive around the same time as CoR.

Awaiting Boris and Oleg
    I admire Mirai so much for how she handled the Olympic and World team selections, and how she has moved on afterward. I don't disagree with the team selections, but that had to be one of the worst things ever for Mirai. And moving forward this focus is wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    This was Michelle Kwan's expression watching Mirai's exhibition gala at US Nationals from the tunels. She captured many's mood at that moment including mine.

http://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/h...86137756_n.jpg

Honestly that looks like a neutral (though certainly attentive) expression to me. What was the mood during Mirai's exhibition? Maybe Michelle's expression is a little somber?

Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    That exhibition is beautiful. I'm glad to see she attempted a lutz as well. I thought her on golden pond exhibition at Nationals was gorgeous! And with Adam Rippon creating her competitive programs I am really excited to see how she does next season! She is gifted artistically and has beautiful line.

I don't think the programs she has been given in the past couple years have really suited her strengths. On golden pond did just that and you could tell she enjoyed it. I hope after the tour is over she buckles down with a coach and works on the jumps. If she gets it together she could very well be a force this upcoming season.