Mirai Uses Olympic Disappointment for Motivation | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Mirai Uses Olympic Disappointment for Motivation

Memelah711

Rinkside
Perhaps I'm more sensitive to it because I'm a Joshua fan, and the sight of him bawling his eyes out in the kiss and cry at just sixteen years old with a broken leg and Zakrasjek condescendingly telling him "it's character building!" and then telling him what he should have done better is graven on my mind.

The tl;dr is that he breaks skaters and/or encourages them to skate injured. I will never understand how he failed to get kicked out by the USFSA after the Joshua incident and the Rachel Flatt incident happened in the same season, less than two months apart!

Thanks for letting me know that! It's hard to believe he is still allowed to coach. Mirai or any other skater needs to stay far away from him.

b-man

Final Flight
A few different moves than I am used to seeing her perform, very nice program. The pearl spin was nice as well, but I think Caroline has some back problems now, at age 20. I don't think the pearl spin, as lovely as it is, is where Mirai should go.

desertskates

Medalist
I think that program is wonderful! And I love the outfit's concept. I think she wants you to just see Mirai. What I wish I could change are the pants. Black would be better, imo. Keep her body line long, and I don't really care for the pants color.

Harness

Rinkside
Thanks for sharing that performance. Loved it! Looking forward to the competitive programs Adam has choreographed for Mirai.

samson

Medalist
It's great to see some fan POV right now. I think I'll be able to make it when the show is in Anaheim and I really want to see live skating but with life and crazy schedules I'm glad there this for now!

There's some real gut to that skate. It makes me super interested to see what she and Adam cooked up for competitions!

makaihime

Final Flight
Can someone explain why Mirai is wearing this really plain "costume" for her second program in SOI? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ns0mCEtuMM

I mean there is Gracie in her glittering Elsa outfit completely model status, and Mirai looks as if she is at practice. I am not against pants but I wish the outfit itself actually looked like a costume (example, Yuna's outfit in Bulletproof EX).

P.S. LOOK AT THE LAST SPIN IN THAT VIDEO!!! It's the Caroline Zhang pearl spin which I've never seen Mirai (or anyone besides Zhang, actually) do before!! Wow!! :clap:

That skate felt very emotional....it was gorgeous and I felt it. I like that her outfit was plain because I think it just made the skate even more personal, kind of like when a dancer is interpreting an emotional piece. I prefer this over any shiny dress honestly...let the performance speak for itself :agree: If this is a sign of whats to come for Mirai heading toward the next season, I can't wait. She's going to give the other ladies a run for their money, and hopefully Karma will come for the USFSA :popcorn:

uncchristine99

Rinkside
Well, it will be great to see her back. I'm always curious to see her at the start of every season and if she looks ready and has programs on point. Her exhibition at Nationals was one of the most touching skates I've ever seen. If she comes to the ice with that level of commitment and passion, then I'm excited to see her!

Unfortunately, that commitment level doesn't always seem to be there and in the last quad, she has sometimes looked careless and like she's given up on the sport. The judges showed in 2010 that they were willing to give her the marks but I'm not sure about now.

But it's undeniable that she's a beautiful skater and she can touch your heartstrings like few skaters can.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for posting the SOI clip - I checked out some of the other performances that the guy posted along w/Mirai's.

I really liked Mirai's performance - very mature and with a lot of emotion and the crowd was cheering during her spins. I'm happy to see that the pearl spin she had posted on Instagram a while back made it into the program. She did comment that it was hard on her back to do that, but wow - she is flexible. On a one to ten scale, if Yulia is a 10 in flexibility, I give Mirai a 9 :)

composer

On the Ice
I'm not a fan of the costume, but maybe about 10 seconds into the program I forgot all about the costume and just got lost in the skate and the emotions it stirred ... Definitely agree that a bling bling costume would have been distracting.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
That exhibition is beautiful. I'm glad to see she attempted a lutz as well. I thought her on golden pond exhibition at Nationals was gorgeous! And with Adam Rippon creating her competitive programs I am really excited to see how she does next season! She is gifted artistically and has beautiful line.

I don't think the programs she has been given in the past couple years have really suited her strengths. On golden pond did just that and you could tell she enjoyed it. I hope after the tour is over she buckles down with a coach and works on the jumps. If she gets it together she could very well be a force this upcoming season.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Can someone explain why Mirai is wearing this really plain "costume" for her second program in SOI? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ns0mCEtuMM

I mean there is Gracie in her glittering Elsa outfit completely model status, and Mirai looks as if she is at practice. I am not against pants but I wish the outfit itself actually looked like a costume (example, Yuna's outfit in Bulletproof EX).

P.S. LOOK AT THE LAST SPIN IN THAT VIDEO!!! It's the Caroline Zhang pearl spin which I've never seen Mirai (or anyone besides Zhang, actually) do before!! Wow!! :clap:

Really lovely exhibition... great choice of music and maturer personal performance. Great to make it really personal and keep it personal in her competition programs too. It has more personality than her past 3 seasons competition programs combined. Mirai should have a lot to say, make sure she say it in her movements, and just be herself. Costume wise, keep it classic black on black, goes with her black hair nicely, tighter fitting seamless lines can make the program more striking and powerful, and timeless.

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
If Mao indeed retires, I wonder if Nobuo Sato could get Mirai into shape...assuming that they get the funding. I don't see Sato moving to the US, but IIRC Mirai spent some time training in Japan before? Perhaps she could move there?
I have been saying for a few seasons that I would love to see her work with Nobuo. If not him, then Yuka in Detroit.

It isn't apparent at all that Frank gave her an ultimatum. Frank was quoted as saying there was no problem between them and that the two hour drive was too much for her. Frank was basically in the process of retiring when he moved to Palm Springs. The return of Evan and Dennis Ten's sudden rise on the World stage are what caused him to return to full-time coaching in LA--at least according to him, in his interview with TSL. I'll go with what he says instead of speculation.
:agree:

Perhaps Jef Billings (SOI costuming) and Mirai are the only ones that truly know the reason. Also, Mirai has always been amazing at spins.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Well I am so glad to hear that Mirai is moving forward and pulling herself together. I agree with everyone that she faces very stiff competition and had her work cut out for her but fair enough that she doesn't want to end her career at 20 and on this note.
I'm not sure her how far she can push her technical ability. I think she does have to make some big decisions about coaching and training sooner than later so she can start to focus because she will have to push herself extremely hard.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Well I am so glad to hear that Mirai is moving forward and pulling herself together. I agree with everyone that she faces very stiff competition and had her work cut out for her but fair enough that she doesn't want to end her career at 20 and on this note.
I'm not sure her how far she can push her technical ability. I think she does have to make some big decisions about coaching and training sooner than later so she can start to focus because she will have to push herself extremely hard.

While I don't think she can overcome someone like Mao/Carolina to first place, I think she can definitely get on the podium more than once if she works on it.

tulosai

Record Breaker
While I don't think she can overcome someone like Mao/Carolina to first place, I think she can definitely get on the podium more than once if she works on it.

I agree. While I don't necessarily know if she can ever be a world medal contender again, I do absolutely believe she can reach an Ashley-like level (GP wins, make GP final, medal at 4CCs). Whether she will, though, is anyone's guess.

coolboogie22

Match Penalty

I believe that Mirai artistic ability is in the same league as Kim Yu-Na, she just need more funding in her skating for having a great choreographer. It looks natural in her to become the music, she is really talent! I think this next 4 year will be refreshing for her and that she will take her time to make the right choice for coaches, music, etc. I would not be surprised if she beat Ashley Wagner during the next quad! We will see what happen but I have faith for her.

Icey

Record Breaker
Maybe she got to the show too late to change into her costume or do her hair (which was a mess) and make-up. I would be surprised if SOI would approve such a costume. Could this have been a practice session in front of an invited crowd?

composer

On the Ice
Maybe she got to the show too late to change into her costume or do her hair (which was a mess) and make-up. I would be surprised if SOI would approve such a costume. Could this have been a practice session in front of an invited crowd?

I actually really liked the hair, especially for this piece! I guess my meat is your poison :p

BusyMom

Medalist
Always love Mirai's show programs. This one in particular is very special. I agree that her hair is a bit massy. Not a big fan of her legging though.