Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Mirai Uses Olympic Disappointment for Motivation

I kind of feel for her because she got squeezed out. Gold was the best last season and the heavily hyped Barbie Doll. NBC also heavily hyped Wagner and they weren't going to take her out after losing Lindsey Vonn. And I think they were desperate to push Edmunds as a reaction to how popular Yulia was getting and they wanted to have a younger girl in there to try to match up.

Awaiting Boris and Oleg
    I admire Mirai so much for how she handled the Olympic and World team selections, and how she has moved on afterward. I don't disagree with the team selections, but that had to be one of the worst things ever for Mirai. And moving forward this focus is wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    This was Michelle Kwan's expression watching Mirai's exhibition gala at US Nationals from the tunels. She captured many's mood at that moment including mine.

http://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/h...86137756_n.jpg

Honestly that looks like a neutral (though certainly attentive) expression to me. What was the mood during Mirai's exhibition? Maybe Michelle's expression is a little somber?

Tripping on the Podium
    I'm so glad to hear that she has found renewed motivation! I hope we see a rejuvenated Mirai in the fall. And I can't wait to see the new programs Rippon has choreographed for her.

Custom Title
    So she's putting off finding a permanent coach. Nothing new there, more of the same. I'll believe in the renewed motivation when I see improved results.

Custom Title
    Unfortunately her best competitive days are behind her. Making a US team would be a huge accomplishment.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by volk View Post
    Unfortunately her best competitive days are behind her. Making a US team would be a huge accomplishment.
    You don't know that. In normal circumstances, she would have made the team this year. If she
    finishes in the top three next year, do you think they will leave her off again? I don't.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Only because she's 15 and new to the Senor ranks. Now that she's a bit of a known quality and has shown she can hang with the big girls her PCS will start rising too.
    Not unless she starts skating like a big girl. She still looks like a junior to me.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    You don't know that. In normal circumstances, she would have made the team this year. If she
    finishes in the top three next year, do you think they will leave her off again? I don't.
    Unless one of Wagner, Edmunds, or Gold BOMBS Nationals next year (or Mirai makes drastic improvements to her skating to anything she has shown since 2011 4CCs) she wont finish top 3 so it is moot. And they will have to bomb worse than Wagner did this year. After the reaction to the selections which probably surprised the USFSA, they will be more careful in how they let Nationals be scored in the future.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Polina is 15 and this was her first Worlds. That is quite an achievement.
    Mirai finished seventh at her first Worlds (at age 16) and it was considered a failure. Would it have been quite an achievement for Yulia Lip to finish 8th at her first Worlds at age 15?

Custom Title
    She needs to hunker down and find a coach with whom she can get along long-term if she is going to become a real champion with true staying power. Carroll pretty much trashed her publicly for her lack of worth ethic, and her coach not being at US nationals IIRC was odd. Perhaps coaches perceive her as someone who no one will work with?

Banned
    Mirai finished seventh at her first Worlds (at age 16) and it was considered a failure. Would it have been quite an achievement for Yulia Lip to finish 8th at her first Worlds at age 15?
    If Edmunds win the short program at next years worlds at 16, then lands only 3 jumps cleanly in the long program while dropping to 7th, and losing the U.S 3 spots in the process, I can comfort you with the fact it will be viewed as a failure too. As for your Julia reference, any 2 Russians who went to the 2013 worlds that failed to get Russia a 3rd spot for the 2014 Games, would have been viewed as a dissapointment back home.

Rinkside
    Mirai didn't lose the US 3 spots. We haven't had 3 spots since 2007. If your taking about gaining a spot, then the blame also falls of Rachel Flatt. The both need a combined 13.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Unless one of Wagner, Edmunds, or Gold BOMBS Nationals next year (or Mirai makes drastic improvements to her skating to anything she has shown since 2011 4CCs) she wont finish top 3 so it is moot. And they will have to bomb worse than Wagner did this year. After the reaction to the selections which probably surprised the USFSA, they will be more careful in how they let Nationals be scored in the future.
    Agree that Gold, Wagner and Edmunds will be favorites in Greensboro, and deservedly so. But Nagasu outskated Wagner in both SP and FS in Boston, not finishing ahead because of scoring riregularities; and finished only three points behind Edmunds. Nagasu won't need to improve all that much above her Boston performances to be competitive with Wagner and Edmunds, unless USFSA decides to fix the results and pre ordain the 2014 world team as the 2015 world team. I do wonder, if Nagasu would happen to be the third best skater in Greensboro, would a fourth best Wagner or Edmunds receive some unwarranted PCS scores to place ahead of Nagasu, or would their body of work in Sochi and Sataima be deemed sufficient to again supplant a third place Nagasu for the world team.

Custom Title
    oh.... bless her.... I really wish her best of luck for the next season and her perseverance and determination and classy handling of this pay off in the end!

Custom Title
    Polina had never competed as a Senior internationally until at the Olympics so finishing 9th was a heck of an achievement. Lip has been skating as a Senior internationally for the last 2 years and was on the JGP as a 13 year old so of course she's further along then Polina. For that matter Mirai at 16 was much more experience too having been on the GP for 2 years before the Olympics. Polina hadn't even been to Junior Worlds yet while Mirai went twice so even though Mirai was only a year older more was expected of her especially after finishing 4th in Vancouver while Polina was a total newcomer.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast