Mirai Uses Olympic Disappointment for Motivation | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Mirai Uses Olympic Disappointment for Motivation

b-man

Final Flight
It isn't apparent at all that Frank gave her an ultimatum. Frank was quoted as saying there was no problem between them and that the two hour drive was too much for her. Frank was basically in the process of retiring when he moved to Palm Springs. The return of Evan and Dennis Ten's sudden rise on the World stage are what caused him to return to full-time coaching in LA--at least according to him, in his interview with TSL. I'll go with what he says instead of speculation.
I don't think there was any ill will between them. The fact that Frank asked Mirai to move to Palm Springs was discussed at great length on here and FSU, as well as the offer of Frank to obtain lodging in a private home at minimal expense to Mirai''s family. It was also discussed that, when Mirai and her family declined to move Mirai to Palm Springs, Frank said he would help find her a coach in the LA area, and he recommended Wendy Olson. If you don't want to call that an ultimatum, that's fine. I am sure Frank didn't phrase it that way, even though it was essentially, I will coach you in Palm Springs as a resident pupil here, or I will find you a coach in LA.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think there was any ill will between them. The fact that Frank asked Mirai to move to Palm Springs was discussed at great length on here and FSU, as well as the offer of Frank to obtain lodging in a private home at minimal expense to Mirai''s family. It was also discussed that, when Mirai and her family declined to move Mirai to Palm Springs, Frank said he would help find her a coach in the LA area, and he recommended Wendy Olson. If you don't want to call that an ultimatum, that's fine. I am sure Frank didn't phrase it that way, even though it was essentially, I will coach you in Palm Springs as a resident pupil here, or I will find you a coach in LA.

Just because it's discussed on a fan board doesn't make it a fact. The difficulty of the commute was a reality--a problem that both parties knew had to be solved. Mirai didn't want to commute 2 hours each way in order to continue with Frank, so there was no ultimatum. Some situations are just untenable and come apart through circumstances and not because someone gave someone else an ultimatum.

anyanka

Record Breaker
If Mao indeed retires, I wonder if Nobuo Sato could get Mirai into shape...assuming that they get the funding. I don't see Sato moving to the US, but IIRC Mirai spent some time training in Japan before? Perhaps she could move there?

b-man

Final Flight
Just because it's discussed on a fan board doesn't make it a fact. The difficulty of the commute was a reality--a problem that both parties knew had to be solved. Mirai didn't want to commute 2 hours each way in order to continue with Frank, so there was no ultimatum. Some situations are just untenable and come apart through circumstances and not because someone gave someone else an ultimatum.
And because its discussed on multiple fan boards dosn't make it fiction. No one said the commute wasn't a problem, Mirai and Frank both indicated it was a problem. I haven't seen any reference where Mirai said, I will no longer drive to Palm Springs, please find me a coach in LA. I have seen multiples references indicating Frank asked Mirai to relocate, and he offered to find her lodging with a family in Palm Springs, if needed. And I have seen multiple references that FC recommended Wendy Olson as a coach close to Mirai LA. If you don't believe it, I don't care. And my comments should not be construed as implying Frank did anything wrong. I agree things came apart through unfortunate circumstances.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Mao indeed retires, I wonder if Nobuo Sato could get Mirai into shape...assuming that they get the funding. I don't see Sato moving to the US, but IIRC Mirai spent some time training in Japan before? Perhaps she could move there?

USFS would not be happy with Mirai training in Japan because they would be unable to monitor her there, and she wouldn't have the money to travel back to the US for monitoring sessions. I also doubt that the amount of money Mirai gets from USFS funding would cover Sato's coaching fees. Remember, Mirai would have to pay for Sato accompanying her to competitions.

b-man

Final Flight
Yes, we know how important and effective those monitoring sessions are, such as the monitoring of R. Flatt prior to 2011 worlds, or A. Czisny prior to 2012 worlds. Monitoring sessions appear to be either non existent or worthless, except on paper.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Can someone explain why Mirai is wearing this really plain "costume" for her second program in SOI? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ns0mCEtuMM

I mean there is Gracie in her glittering Elsa outfit completely model status, and Mirai looks as if she is at practice. I am not against pants but I wish the outfit itself actually looked like a costume (example, Yuna's outfit in Bulletproof EX).

P.S. LOOK AT THE LAST SPIN IN THAT VIDEO!!! It's the Caroline Zhang pearl spin which I've never seen Mirai (or anyone besides Zhang, actually) do before!! Wow!! :clap:

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
Can someone explain why Mirai is wearing this really plain "costume" for her second program in SOI? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ns0mCEtuMM

I mean there is Gracie in her glittering Elsa outfit completely model status, and Mirai looks as if she is at practice. I am not against pants but I wish the outfit itself actually looked like a costume (example, Yuna's outfit in Bulletproof EX).

P.S. LOOK AT THE LAST SPIN IN THAT VIDEO!!! It's the Caroline Zhang pearl spin which I've never seen Mirai (or anyone besides Zhang, actually) do before!! Wow!! :clap:

Watching that, I think it's a very personal skate for her. I bet her simple costuming is to highlight the music and her skating and the emotion behind it. She doesn't need Gracie's glitter. It's a raw skate, and I think that having a simple costume instead of some jewel-encrusted dress works for it.

And the pearl spin was absolutely fantastic!!

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
From what I know, Japan is really an expensive place to live, especially in the cities. Unless Mirai's relatives are in the same city as her coach, I don't see her saving money training in Japan.
Given that Nagasu is ethnically Japanese, it's reasonable to assume that she had relatives to stay with in Japan, not to mention that was meant to be a temporary situation. Different than finding a new place to live permanently and all the costs associated with that.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Oh my! Maybe Tom Z is someone she should consider using as a coach after all if he deserves any credit for that spin.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Watching that, I think it's a very personal skate for her. I bet her simple costuming is to highlight the music and her skating and the emotion behind it. She doesn't need Gracie's glitter. It's a raw skate, and I think that having a simple costume instead of some jewel-encrusted dress works for it.

And the pearl spin was absolutely fantastic!!

Hm, I see. I can also tell it's very personal, especially with what happened this season. It's a great choice. If she brings that pearl spin to her program next season, those spinning girls like Yulia have some serious competition. :popcorn:

desertskates

Medalist
From what I know, Japan is really an expensive place to live, especially in the cities. Unless Mirai's relatives are in the same city as her coach, I don't see her saving money training in Japan.

While I agree that the monitoring is a joke and think Japan would provide a nice change of pace and background for her, the cost of anything there is murderous for anyone working with US dollars.
Japan is a lovely place, I'm glad I saw it once, but I'm fairly certain I'll never have the $ to see it again :laugh:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hm, I see. I can also tell it's very personal, especially with what happened this season. It's a great choice. If she brings that pearl spin to her program next season, those spinning girls like Yulia have some serious competition. :popcorn:

The pearl spin and the I-spin are both on a par with what Yulia is doing. Plus, she has the Shizuka-like Ina Bauer and the Charlotte spiral.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
The pearl spin and the I-spin are both on a par with what Yulia is doing. Plus, she has the Shizuka-like Ina Bauer and the Charlotte spiral.

I actually think the Pearl spin/Biellmann combination is actually more impressive than Yulia's Biellmann. :thumbsup: I hope she works on the two-footing though.

Memelah711

Rinkside
Sorry for being off topic....

I'm not too familiar with Tom Zakrasjek. Could someone please fill me in on what he's done to make people so weary of him? Thanks!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Sorry for being off topic....

I'm not too familiar with Tom Zakrasjek. Could someone please fill me in on what he's done to make people so weary of him? Thanks!

Perhaps I'm more sensitive to it because I'm a Joshua fan, and the sight of him bawling his eyes out in the kiss and cry at just sixteen years old with a broken leg and Zakrasjek condescendingly telling him "it's character building!" and then telling him what he should have done better is graven on my mind.

The tl;dr is that he breaks skaters and/or encourages them to skate injured. I will never understand how he failed to get kicked out by the USFSA after the Joshua incident and the Rachel Flatt incident happened in the same season, less than two months apart!

tulosai

Record Breaker
Perhaps I'm more sensitive to it because I'm a Joshua fan, and the sight of him bawling his eyes out in the kiss and cry at just sixteen years old with a broken leg and Zakrasjek condescendingly telling him "it's character building!" and then telling him what he should have done better is graven on my mind.

The tl;dr is that he breaks skaters and/or encourages them to skate injured. I will never understand how he failed to get kicked out by the USFSA after the Joshua incident and the Rachel Flatt incident happened in the same season, less than two months apart!

Yeah, I am no fan, but with that said, I have fewer reservations about his coaching someone Nagasu's age than a teen, particularly a young teen. Ostensibly, someone in their 20's is not as likely to trust him blindly (especially if not much of a history there), nor as likely to be railroaded into doing something they don't want to. I also have to say truthfully, he seems to teach decent jump technique, and jump technique is what Mirai most needs help with.