Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 120

Thread: Mirai Uses Olympic Disappointment for Motivation

  1. #76
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    Are you saying that Frank moved to Palm Springs to get away from Mirai? If not, how did he leave Mirai more than she left him? She was the one who chose not to continue with him.
    Frank moved from Lake Arrowhead to Palm Springs For business or personal reasons I am not aware of, leaving Mirai with a one way commute of 2 hours instead of one hour. She continued to train with Frank in the 2011-2012 season at Palm Springs, and although well prepared for nationals in San Jose (she looked terrific in practice), she skated poorly in both SP and FS leading to a 7th place finish. Frank, who I believe was very surprised at this poor performance, reportedly told Mirai, it was not working out. He would continue to take her as a student, if she would agree to move to Palm Springs. If money was a problem, he would find a family for her to live with at minimal cost. Mirai was just turning 19 at the time, and reportedly Mrs. Nagasu didn't want her daughter moving away from home, whether for financial reasons or bacause she wasn't mature enough or because the parents wanted parental control could all be reasons. So Frank apparently did give her an ultimatum, if he had not done so, Mirai may have continued to commute to Palm Springs and train with Frank. Mirai went with Wendy Olson, who had been recommended by Frank, for a year and Amy Evidente for part of the 2013-14 season, and was largely coachless (with Baranova at the boards for her) in Boston. As soon as Lysacek indicated a possible return for Sochi, Frank relocated to the Toyota Center in LA, which is more in Mirai's backyard. So now we have the irony of Frank training Mirai's competitor at a rink relatively close to Mirai, when in 2012 he would only train Mirai if she moved to Palm Springs. Mirai also trains at the Toyota Center at least part of the time. That is how the story was related in bits here and on FSU. I am sure there are other factors I am not aware of.

  2. #77
    Footwork Queen IcyEdges's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by b-man View Post
    People continue to criticize Mirai for not staying with a permanent coach. After Lake Arrowhead, Caroll moved to Palm Springs, much farther from Mirai's residence. After an unsuccessful 2012 Nationals, FC told Mirai, if he was to continue coaching her, she would need to relocate from LA to Palm Springs. She could not stay in LA. It appears FC left Mirai more than Mirai leaving FC. How ironic that 2 years later, FC is coaching her competitor, Gold, not in Lake Arrowhead, not in Palm Springs, but in Mirai's hometown in LA.
    Frank lives in Palm Springs, and was coaching in Lake Arrowhead. This is post Lysacek Olympic days. When Evan decided to come back, Frank magically ended up back in LA coaching at Toyota, besides the fact that Lake Arrowhead was closing anyway. So I wouldn't say he "left" Mirai. Mirai couldn't go to Lake Arrowhead. Some things don't work out.

  3. #78
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by IcyEdges View Post
    Frank lives in Palm Springs, and was coaching in Lake Arrowhead. This is post Lysacek Olympic days. When Evan decided to come back, Frank magically ended up back in LA coaching at Toyota, besides the fact that Lake Arrowhead was closing anyway. So I wouldn't say he "left" Mirai. Mirai couldn't go to Lake Arrowhead. Some things don't work out.
    Frank did coach at Lake arrowhead, and then coached at a rink in Palm Springs for at least the 2011-12 season, maybe longer , where as you say, he lived I don't think the ice Castle (Lake Arrowhead) closed until a year ago, but he may have known about the future closing, or just wanted to coach closer to his Palm Springs home. Mirai was a student of Frank at both Lake Arrowhead and Palm Springs. She always complained, when the total commute was 4 hours a day to Palm Springs, she was already tired when she showed up for practice. That may be one of the reasons Frank insisted she relocate. I am saying if Frank didn't insist on her relocating, she would likely have continued the commute to Palm Springs, and would never have made the switch to Wendy Olson for 2012-2013.

  4. #79
    Custom Title Victura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    And yet the Nagasus can afford for Mirai to fly to Japan to work with coaches there...
    Given that Nagasu is ethnically Japanese, it's reasonable to assume that she had relatives to stay with in Japan, not to mention that was meant to be a temporary situation. Different than finding a new place to live permanently and all the costs associated with that.

  5. #80
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,257
    Quote Originally Posted by b-man View Post
    Frank moved from Lake Arrowhead to Palm Springs For business or personal reasons I am not aware of, leaving Mirai with a one way commute of 2 hours instead of one hour. She continued to train with Frank in the 2011-2012 season at Palm Springs, and although well prepared for nationals in San Jose (she looked terrific in practice), she skated poorly in both SP and FS leading to a 7th place finish. Frank, who I believe was very surprised at this poor performance, reportedly told Mirai, it was not working out. He would continue to take her as a student, if she would agree to move to Palm Springs. If money was a problem, he would find a family for her to live with at minimal cost. Mirai was just turning 19 at the time, and reportedly Mrs. Nagasu didn't want her daughter moving away from home, whether for financial reasons or bacause she wasn't mature enough or because the parents wanted parental control could all be reasons. So Frank apparently did give her an ultimatum, if he had not done so, Mirai may have continued to commute to Palm Springs and train with Frank. Mirai went with Wendy Olson, who had been recommended by Frank, for a year and Amy Evidente for part of the 2013-14 season, and was largely coachless (with Baranova at the boards for her) in Boston. As soon as Lysacek indicated a possible return for Sochi, Frank relocated to the Toyota Center in LA, which is more in Mirai's backyard. So now we have the irony of Frank training Mirai's competitor at a rink relatively close to Mirai, when in 2012 he would only train Mirai if she moved to Palm Springs. Mirai also trains at the Toyota Center at least part of the time. That is how the story was related in bits here and on FSU. I am sure there are other factors I am not aware of.
    It isn't apparent at all that Frank gave her an ultimatum. Frank was quoted as saying there was no problem between them and that the two hour drive was too much for her. Frank was basically in the process of retiring when he moved to Palm Springs. The return of Evan and Dennis Ten's sudden rise on the World stage are what caused him to return to full-time coaching in LA--at least according to him, in his interview with TSL. I'll go with what he says instead of speculation.

  6. #81
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    It isn't apparent at all that Frank gave her an ultimatum. Frank was quoted as saying there was no problem between them and that the two hour drive was too much for her. Frank was basically in the process of retiring when he moved to Palm Springs. The return of Evan and Dennis Ten's sudden rise on the World stage are what caused him to return to full-time coaching in LA--at least according to him, in his interview with TSL. I'll go with what he says instead of speculation.
    I don't think there was any ill will between them. The fact that Frank asked Mirai to move to Palm Springs was discussed at great length on here and FSU, as well as the offer of Frank to obtain lodging in a private home at minimal expense to Mirai''s family. It was also discussed that, when Mirai and her family declined to move Mirai to Palm Springs, Frank said he would help find her a coach in the LA area, and he recommended Wendy Olson. If you don't want to call that an ultimatum, that's fine. I am sure Frank didn't phrase it that way, even though it was essentially, I will coach you in Palm Springs as a resident pupil here, or I will find you a coach in LA.

  7. #82
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,055
    Well doing SOI should give her a few more dollars..................

  8. #83
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,257
    Quote Originally Posted by b-man View Post
    I don't think there was any ill will between them. The fact that Frank asked Mirai to move to Palm Springs was discussed at great length on here and FSU, as well as the offer of Frank to obtain lodging in a private home at minimal expense to Mirai''s family. It was also discussed that, when Mirai and her family declined to move Mirai to Palm Springs, Frank said he would help find her a coach in the LA area, and he recommended Wendy Olson. If you don't want to call that an ultimatum, that's fine. I am sure Frank didn't phrase it that way, even though it was essentially, I will coach you in Palm Springs as a resident pupil here, or I will find you a coach in LA.
    Just because it's discussed on a fan board doesn't make it a fact. The difficulty of the commute was a reality--a problem that both parties knew had to be solved. Mirai didn't want to commute 2 hours each way in order to continue with Frank, so there was no ultimatum. Some situations are just untenable and come apart through circumstances and not because someone gave someone else an ultimatum.

  9. #84
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    902
    If Mao indeed retires, I wonder if Nobuo Sato could get Mirai into shape...assuming that they get the funding. I don't see Sato moving to the US, but IIRC Mirai spent some time training in Japan before? Perhaps she could move there?

  10. #85
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    Just because it's discussed on a fan board doesn't make it a fact. The difficulty of the commute was a reality--a problem that both parties knew had to be solved. Mirai didn't want to commute 2 hours each way in order to continue with Frank, so there was no ultimatum. Some situations are just untenable and come apart through circumstances and not because someone gave someone else an ultimatum.
    And because its discussed on multiple fan boards dosn't make it fiction. No one said the commute wasn't a problem, Mirai and Frank both indicated it was a problem. I haven't seen any reference where Mirai said, I will no longer drive to Palm Springs, please find me a coach in LA. I have seen multiples references indicating Frank asked Mirai to relocate, and he offered to find her lodging with a family in Palm Springs, if needed. And I have seen multiple references that FC recommended Wendy Olson as a coach close to Mirai LA. If you don't believe it, I don't care. And my comments should not be construed as implying Frank did anything wrong. I agree things came apart through unfortunate circumstances.

  11. #86
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,542
    Quote Originally Posted by anyanka View Post
    If Mao indeed retires, I wonder if Nobuo Sato could get Mirai into shape...assuming that they get the funding. I don't see Sato moving to the US, but IIRC Mirai spent some time training in Japan before? Perhaps she could move there?
    USFS would not be happy with Mirai training in Japan because they would be unable to monitor her there, and she wouldn't have the money to travel back to the US for monitoring sessions. I also doubt that the amount of money Mirai gets from USFS funding would cover Sato's coaching fees. Remember, Mirai would have to pay for Sato accompanying her to competitions.

  12. #87
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    311
    Yes, we know how important and effective those monitoring sessions are, such as the monitoring of R. Flatt prior to 2011 worlds, or A. Czisny prior to 2012 worlds. Monitoring sessions appear to be either non existent or worthless, except on paper.

  13. #88
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,538
    Quote Originally Posted by b-man View Post
    Yes, we know how important and effective those monitoring sessions are, such as the monitoring of R. Flatt prior to 2011 worlds, or A. Czisny prior to 2012 worlds.
    Zing

  14. #89
    Medalist Miss Ice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    On the ice
    Posts
    94
    Can someone explain why Mirai is wearing this really plain "costume" for her second program in SOI? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ns0mCEtuMM

    I mean there is Gracie in her glittering Elsa outfit completely model status, and Mirai looks as if she is at practice. I am not against pants but I wish the outfit itself actually looked like a costume (example, Yuna's outfit in Bulletproof EX).

    P.S. LOOK AT THE LAST SPIN IN THAT VIDEO!!! It's the Caroline Zhang pearl spin which I've never seen Mirai (or anyone besides Zhang, actually) do before!! Wow!!

  15. #90
    P/B Appreciation Squad fleeting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    433
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Ice View Post
    Can someone explain why Mirai is wearing this really plain "costume" for her second program in SOI? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ns0mCEtuMM

    I mean there is Gracie in her glittering Elsa outfit completely model status, and Mirai looks as if she is at practice. I am not against pants but I wish the outfit itself actually looked like a costume (example, Yuna's outfit in Bulletproof EX).

    P.S. LOOK AT THE LAST SPIN IN THAT VIDEO!!! It's the Caroline Zhang pearl spin which I've never seen Mirai (or anyone besides Zhang, actually) do before!! Wow!!
    Watching that, I think it's a very personal skate for her. I bet her simple costuming is to highlight the music and her skating and the emotion behind it. She doesn't need Gracie's glitter. It's a raw skate, and I think that having a simple costume instead of some jewel-encrusted dress works for it.

    And the pearl spin was absolutely fantastic!!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •