Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Mirai Uses Olympic Disappointment for Motivation

Custom Title
    From what I know, Japan is really an expensive place to live, especially in the cities. Unless Mirai's relatives are in the same city as her coach, I don't see her saving money training in Japan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Victura View Post
    Given that Nagasu is ethnically Japanese, it's reasonable to assume that she had relatives to stay with in Japan, not to mention that was meant to be a temporary situation. Different than finding a new place to live permanently and all the costs associated with that.

Oh my! Maybe Tom Z is someone she should consider using as a coach after all if he deserves any credit for that spin.

Quote Originally Posted by fleeting View Post
    Watching that, I think it's a very personal skate for her. I bet her simple costuming is to highlight the music and her skating and the emotion behind it. She doesn't need Gracie's glitter. It's a raw skate, and I think that having a simple costume instead of some jewel-encrusted dress works for it.

And the pearl spin was absolutely fantastic!!
    Hm, I see. I can also tell it's very personal, especially with what happened this season. It's a great choice. If she brings that pearl spin to her program next season, those spinning girls like Yulia have some serious competition.

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hippomoomin View Post
    From what I know, Japan is really an expensive place to live, especially in the cities. Unless Mirai's relatives are in the same city as her coach, I don't see her saving money training in Japan.
    While I agree that the monitoring is a joke and think Japan would provide a nice change of pace and background for her, the cost of anything there is murderous for anyone working with US dollars.
    Japan is a lovely place, I'm glad I saw it once, but I'm fairly certain I'll never have the $ to see it again

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Ice View Post
    Hm, I see. I can also tell it's very personal, especially with what happened this season. It's a great choice. If she brings that pearl spin to her program next season, those spinning girls like Yulia have some serious competition.
    The pearl spin and the I-spin are both on a par with what Yulia is doing. Plus, she has the Shizuka-like Ina Bauer and the Charlotte spiral.

Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    The pearl spin and the I-spin are both on a par with what Yulia is doing. Plus, she has the Shizuka-like Ina Bauer and the Charlotte spiral.
    I actually think the Pearl spin/Biellmann combination is actually more impressive than Yulia's Biellmann. I hope she works on the two-footing though.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    Oh my! Maybe Tom Z is someone she should consider using as a coach after all if he deserves any credit for that spin.
    No-one should ever use Zakrasjek.

Tripping on the Podium
    Sorry for being off topic....

I'm not too familiar with Tom Zakrasjek. Could someone please fill me in on what he's done to make people so weary of him? Thanks!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Memelah711 View Post
    Sorry for being off topic....

I'm not too familiar with Tom Zakrasjek. Could someone please fill me in on what he's done to make people so weary of him? Thanks!
    Perhaps I'm more sensitive to it because I'm a Joshua fan, and the sight of him bawling his eyes out in the kiss and cry at just sixteen years old with a broken leg and Zakrasjek condescendingly telling him "it's character building!" and then telling him what he should have done better is graven on my mind.

The tl;dr is that he breaks skaters and/or encourages them to skate injured. I will never understand how he failed to get kicked out by the USFSA after the Joshua incident and the Rachel Flatt incident happened in the same season, less than two months apart!

Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Perhaps I'm more sensitive to it because I'm a Joshua fan, and the sight of him bawling his eyes out in the kiss and cry at just sixteen years old with a broken leg and Zakrasjek condescendingly telling him "it's character building!" and then telling him what he should have done better is graven on my mind.

The tl;dr is that he breaks skaters and/or encourages them to skate injured. I will never understand how he failed to get kicked out by the USFSA after the Joshua incident and the Rachel Flatt incident happened in the same season, less than two months apart!
    Yeah, I am no fan, but with that said, I have fewer reservations about his coaching someone Nagasu's age than a teen, particularly a young teen. Ostensibly, someone in their 20's is not as likely to trust him blindly (especially if not much of a history there), nor as likely to be railroaded into doing something they don't want to. I also have to say truthfully, he seems to teach decent jump technique, and jump technique is what Mirai most needs help with.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post

Thanks for letting me know that! It's hard to believe he is still allowed to coach. Mirai or any other skater needs to stay far away from him.

Custom Title
    A few different moves than I am used to seeing her perform, very nice program. The pearl spin was nice as well, but I think Caroline has some back problems now, at age 20. I don't think the pearl spin, as lovely as it is, is where Mirai should go.

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    I think that program is wonderful! And I love the outfit's concept. I think she wants you to just see Mirai. What I wish I could change are the pants. Black would be better, imo. Keep her body line long, and I don't really care for the pants color.

Rinkside
    Thanks for sharing that performance. Loved it! Looking forward to the competitive programs Adam has choreographed for Mirai.

Custom Title
    It's great to see some fan POV right now. I think I'll be able to make it when the show is in Anaheim and I really want to see live skating but with life and crazy schedules I'm glad there this for now!

There's some real gut to that skate. It makes me super interested to see what she and Adam cooked up for competitions!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast