Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Skating music you never want to hear again?

Rinkside

Skating music you never want to hear again?

I don't know about you, but there are some pieces of music that I never want used in a figure skating program in competition ever again. What are your choices?
    Mine are these:
    anything from Swan Lake
    habanera from Carmen (I think I heard it twice in two programs from two different skaters)
    any awful arrangement of a rock song (I'm looking at you whoever composed that dreadful arrangement of Bohemian Rhapsody from someone's short program that I heard yesterday)!
    I will be thankful that next season words are allowed in music… I always found it quite peculiar to listen to a rendition of a song without words.

Tripping on the Podium
    whatever soviet era elevator company is producing the tracks for sotnikova's programs needs to recall that cd stat.

Custom Title
    Carmen!!!! So sick of it! Swan Lake is a close second, followed by Scheherazade.

Quote Originally Posted by Raatkirani View Post
    Carmen!!!! So sick of it! Swan Lake is a close second, followed by Scheherazade.

Carmen,
    Rhapsody in blue,
    Swan lake,
    Four seasons
    And any variation of Romeo and Juliet can all take a break for at least a few years.

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    All things Sergei Rachmaninoff can take a hike for a few years, imho.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by anthologyz View Post
    whatever soviet era elevator company is producing the tracks for sotnikova's programs needs to recall that cd stat.

Custom Title
    Rachmaninoff PC #2. I love it, but so overused in figure skating. Heck, I'd say also Rhapsody on a Theme... Rachmaninoff has so many other pieces to go with. (I love how Kimmie Meisner skated to Symphonic Dances 8 years ago.)

I think tangos should be banned period until an Argentine figure skating emerges. So I guess that means forever unless some American with an Argentine father/mother starts competing there.

Hic Rhodus, hic salta
    El Tango de Roxanne - I just can't cope with it

Scheherazade. I hate it. And, on the contrary to many people here, I absolute love Swan Lake and Carmen. I never get tired of these classicals.

Custom Title
    Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso
    in A Minor Op. 28 for Violin and Orchestra
    by Camille Saint-Saëns

has forever been tainted for me.
    :D

On the Ice
    Sing sing sing, from ice dancing to some of the single skaters, so much sing sing sing

Tripping on the Podium
    can I say what I'd like to hear MORE of in skating programs? Baroque music! there is SO much music from that era (mid-late 1600's - 1750) that is stunningly gorgeous.

I adore the four seasons and could never get tired of it, but it's not the only masterpiece by Vivaldi! Why not use parts of the b minor concerto for 4 violins, or stanzas from his La Follia? Same with Bach - he wrote more and far better music than Air on a G string; why is that the only Bach piece skaters think of to use?

And there is so much by other Baroque composers - the dance music from Rameau's operas and the Passacaille d'Armide by Lully for example.

the only reasons I can think of why skaters don't use this music is maybe they don't know about it, or perhaps because it is more rhythmic than Romantic-era music (Chopin, Saint-Saens, Rachmaninoff, etc.), even during lilting legato melody-driven lines the sense of beat is always there in Baroque music, so you have to be more exact regarding timing.

There is a lot of Baroque music that probably wouldn't be suitable because it repeats too much and/or doesn't build to a crescendo at the end, but there are quite a few compositions from this era that don't present those problems and would make great skating music.

Any music that has scratchy violins and stays at the same tempo throughout the piece. It's bad enough in the short program, but in long programs it is unbearable.

There were several girls in a row (early on) who were skating to this type of music and it just doesn't draw me in. Music needs places for jumps and spins and it needs different tempos.

I prefer something dramatic with big crescendos. I don't really care if it is classical or jazz or Broadway, as long as it ebbs and flows. I don't know if I'm making sense.

Custom Title
    CARMEN. CARMEN. CARMEN

Any color of swan - black or white

Any tango

Anything that is faster than the skater can skate.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast