Predictions/Things that didn't happen for the 2011-14 quad | Golden Skate

Predictions/Things that didn't happen for the 2011-14 quad

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
looking back at last quad, some things just arent meant to be, or something happened that it didn't go as predicted by many

* No one can challenge Chan for 2014 Sochi Olympics
* Tuk was an OGM contender
* Osmond was OM contender
* D/R are OBM locks
* Wagner was the token US lady for the Olympics
* Nagasu would dominate leading to 2014 Olympics
* The quick ascent of S/H in Pairs
* Yuna will not return
* Carolina Kostner is the ultimate elite Headcase
* Takahashi is OM contender for Sochi
* Lipnitkaya will not make the Olympic Team
* some writing Mao off after her 2011 Season
* Crone/Poirer will challenge Worlds in coming seasons and Olympics never mind ending the partnerhip
* Kavaguti/Smirnov will challenge for Pairs medal in Sochi
* Virtue/Moir will continue dominating for another quad
* Sotnikova cannot get her act together and has no chance of an OM
* Denney / Coughlin would make the Olympics Team
* Max Aaron a lock for US Olympic Team

zamboni step

Final Flight
What a negative thread....fine, if you're going to be like this, I'll start with:

* 2014 OGM was Gracie Gold's to lose
* 2014 World Title was Gracie Gold's to lose

Oh wait they kind of were hers to lose, because she lost them......:think:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
What a negative thread....fine, if you're going to be like this, I'll start with:

nothing negative about this:
some things we thought would happen in the Olympics and Worlds did not

Its for the whole quadrennial cycle leading to the Olympics
a lot of things did not happen and came true

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker

* 2014 OGM was Gracie Gold's to lose
* 2014 World Title was Gracie Gold's to lose

Oh wait they kind of were hers to lose, because she lost them......:think:

You forgot:
*Gracie Gold will set new World Records in SP and FP.
*Gracie Gold will be best american skater in FS at the Worlds 2014

P.S. just kidding

Interspectator

Record Breaker
This doesn't have to be a negative thread. it's interesting to see which of our predictions did not come true. As long as there are no personal attacks. When anyone makes a prediction, it runs the chance of not happening. Then, you look back and can gauge your accuracy as a prophet. :)

zamboni step

Final Flight
You forgot:
*Gracie Gold will set new World Records in SP and FP.
*Gracie Gold will be best american skater in FS at the Worlds 2014

P.S. just kidding

Silly me. :laugh: I also forgot

* Sotnikova is a headcase who will go nowhere
* Sotnikova needs Gracie's consistency
* Sotnikova will never win a major Senior ISU Championship

This doesn't have to be a negative thread. it's interesting to see which of our predictions did not come true. As long as there are no personal attacks. When anyone makes a prediction, it runs the chance of not happening. Then, you look back and can gauge your accuracy as a prophet. :)

Yes but if you look at Sky_Fly's posts, she's only referencing her favourite skaters to hate on, in her first six points.

zamboni step

Final Flight
this one is mentioned ;),
no one thought Sotnikova would get her act together at the right time

I did, I've said in response to you countless times that you never know when she's going to start using her talent to the fullest. You chose to ignore that, don't project your own failed predictions onto others.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I did, I've said in response to you countless times that you never know when she's going to start using her talent to the fullest. You chose to ignore that, don't project your own failed predictions onto others.

well everyone had expectations from certain skaters
I would say last quad a lot of unexpected happened

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Gracie Gold would win a GP event.
Gracie Gold would make the GPF.
Gracie Gold would skate a clean competition.
Gracie Gold would get any international win.
Sotnikova couldn't land 2 flips in a freeskate and was shooting herself in the foot.
Kim's SP world record was unbeatable with the spiral sequence removed.
Plushenko would easily win Russian Nationals. Although his Sochi performance was unexpectedly pretty good.
Three clean quads were not possible under CoP. (And Javier/Reynolds did that)

alebi

Medalist
I think Tuktamisheva's different "destiny" and Yuna's unbeatable beaten record are the most shocking since they were both so stuck in our minds no more than 2 years ago

zamboni step

Final Flight
I think Tuktamisheva's different "destiny" and Yuna's unbeatable beaten record are the most shocking since they were both so stuck in our minds no more than 2 years ago

Tukt's not done yet, with technique like that you can't really count her out until she retires.

alebi

Medalist
I obviously mean related to Sochi! I remember when everybody was talking about Sotnikova and Tutkamisheva as Sochi's hope for Russia

flutzy13

On the Ice
--Gracie would be the dominant US lady (2012 prediction); Gracie would crack under the pressure of the Olympics (2013 prediction post SLC and GP)
--Max was an almost lock for the Olympic team. (post 2013 Nats)
--Jason Brown would never get the triple axel.
--Tukt would be in the Olympic medal picture.
--D/W would never defeat V/M at their home Worlds in 2013.
--The US Olympic pairs team would be Denney & Coughlin and Marley & Brubaker. Later, people seemed to think C&S had no chance to defend their title and would be lucky to even make the team.

flutzy13

On the Ice
No Winter Olympics in 2012 ! :unsure:

Well aware there was no Olympics in 2012. What I meant was that people seemed to make certain predictions in early 2012 for Gracie that were overwhelmingly positive and in 2013 people seemed to be very down on her chances. Neither proved to be true.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
--Gracie would be the dominant US lady (2012); Gracie would crack under the pressure of the Olympics (2012)

No Winter Olympics in 2012 ! :unsure:

I think the date was referring to when the prediction was made rather than when the Olympics was.

Incidentally, great idea for a thread. :agree: Pity it is already getting bitchy... :disapp:

CaroLiza_fan

noskates

Record Breaker
Ugh - another ugly thread. Another I love Gracie/I hate Gracie thread. This is getting boring. :no:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tukt's not done yet, with technique like that you can't really count her out until she retires.
Totally agree. I would love to see Liza bounce back. She is sort of starting to remind me of the Marai. Kind of the lost child of Russian ladies. Everyone knows the talent is there but it just feels like there will always be something to get in the way. I follow Liza's social media and it seems like she is mostly focused on life outside of figure skating. I hope I'm misreading this because it's not like I don't want these skaters to give up a social life but...I'm afraid it may interfere with her focus. Lets face it....you have to buckle down and make sacrifices to compete with the best in the world. I'm hoping for the best.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I wouldn't have predicted that Canada had 3 dance, 3 pairs, 3 men, and 2 women (almost the full set!) qualified for Sochi. :clap: