Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Predictions/Things that didn't happen for the 2011-14 quad

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    No Winter Olympics in 2012 !
    Well aware there was no Olympics in 2012. What I meant was that people seemed to make certain predictions in early 2012 for Gracie that were overwhelmingly positive and in 2013 people seemed to be very down on her chances. Neither proved to be true.

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flutzy13 View Post
    --Gracie would be the dominant US lady (2012); Gracie would crack under the pressure of the Olympics (2012)
    No Winter Olympics in 2012 !
    I think the date was referring to when the prediction was made rather than when the Olympics was.

Incidentally, great idea for a thread. Pity it is already getting bitchy...

CaroLiza_fan

Custom Title
    Ugh - another ugly thread. Another I love Gracie/I hate Gracie thread. This is getting boring.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zamboni step View Post
    Tukt's not done yet, with technique like that you can't really count her out until she retires.
    Totally agree. I would love to see Liza bounce back. She is sort of starting to remind me of the Marai. Kind of the lost child of Russian ladies. Everyone knows the talent is there but it just feels like there will always be something to get in the way. I follow Liza's social media and it seems like she is mostly focused on life outside of figure skating. I hope I'm misreading this because it's not like I don't want these skaters to give up a social life but...I'm afraid it may interfere with her focus. Lets face it....you have to buckle down and make sacrifices to compete with the best in the world. I'm hoping for the best.

Custom Title
    I wouldn't have predicted that Canada had 3 dance, 3 pairs, 3 men, and 2 women (almost the full set!) qualified for Sochi.

P/B Appreciation Squad fleeting's Avatar
    I wasn't expecting the Shibs and C/B to get it together for Worlds should D/W be out of the picture (I predicted in 2012). A very pleasant surprise this year!
    And I never, ever, in a thousand years couldn't have predicted D/W beating V/M on home turf at 2013 Worlds. Another pleasant surprise.
    I thought Nagasu would do well in this quad, after 4th in Vancouver. I'm still holding hope for her, though.
    I never thought Sotnikova would get an OGM. I had her pinned for bronze at most.
    And Carolina getting it together was something I didn't anticipate. It's great to see that she could!

Banned
    Wouldnt have ever predicted the steep and permanent fall for the Shibutanis after the 2011 Worlds. I was pretty certain even the day after their bronze medal they werent going to repeat their medal at next years Worlds, especialy in France. However I expected by the time of the 2014 Olympics they would be contending for atleast the bronze. They were never medal contenders by that point though, and had been passed by a whole bunch of teams, many of them much older than them.

I wouldnt have predicted the breakup of Crone & Poirier.

I wouldnt have predicted the massive resurgence of the Russian team to the extent it has.

I wouldnt have predicted Chan to be dominant for 3 years, to the point the judges saw him as 5+ falls better than the rest. I thought at most he would be one of the guys contending for gold medals, and with the possability of winning them only if he skated great (and even then not certain to), just as he was in 2009-2010.

Banned
    Those are the 4 year out ones I am thinking of. If you mean more short term I wouldnt have ever predicted Sotnikova to win the OGM up until just before the womens long program (although after the short program judging, and the moment I saw the womens long program panel, Putin in the audience, and 2 of the 3 tech. callers being Russian based, I knew she was going to win unless she fell 4 times and Yu Na did 3 different types of quads in a perfect skate).

Like pretty everyone else I wouldnt have predicted Capellini & Lanotte to win Worlds. Even after their short dance win I didnt really think they would win, and as it turns out that they were only 4th in the FD and still won due to their excellent SD.

I wouldnt have predicted Ten to medal at the Olympics. No way. Not even after his world silver last year. That result was almost as surprising, as I think most felt that result was a one off, and even more after a poor and injured plagued season this year.

Custom Title
    I don't think anyone could have predicted 4 years ago that Finland has no skaters in Sochi. Back then we for example expected Jenni Vähämaa to come back from her injury.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Wouldnt have ever predicted the steep and permanent fall for the Shibutanis after the 2011 Worlds. I was pretty certain even the day after their bronze medal they werent going to repeat their medal at next years Worlds, especialy in France. However I expected by the time of the 2014 Olympics they would be contending for atleast the bronze. They were never medal contenders by that point though, and had been passed by a whole bunch of teams, many of them much older than them.

I wouldnt have predicted the massive resurgence of the Russian team to the extent it has.

I wouldnt have predicted Chan to be dominant for 3 years, to the point the judges saw him as 5+ falls better than the rest. I thought at most he would be one of the guys contending for gold medals, and with the possability of winning them only if he skated great (and even then not certain to), just as he was in 2009-2010.
    I think that C/B are best poised to emerge as America's top dance team, but I wouldn't count the Shibs out just yet. A lot can happen over the next quad.

Custom Title
    I thought Akiko would be more dominant :(

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Neither would I, and those of us who follow skating were surprised. It was also surprising when Samuelson & Bates split at the same time. But those partnerships are over now and they have moved on to better ones. With last month's result at Worlds, Poirier is now back to where he was in the World standings with Crone 3 years ago (Top 10/Top 8), and Bates is making major progress with Chock and is now Top 5.

Banned
    looking back at last quad, some things just arent meant to be, or something happened that it didn't go as predicted by many

* No one can challenge Chan for 2014 Sochi Olympics
    * Tuk was an OGM contender
    * Osmond was OM contender
    * D/R are OBM locks
    * Wagner was the token US lady for the Olympics
    * Nagasu would dominate leading to 2014 Olympics
    * The quick ascent of S/H in Pairs
    * Yuna will not return
    * Carolina Kostner is the ultimate elite Headcase
    * Takahashi is OM contender for Sochi
    * Lipnitkaya will not make the Olympic Team
    * some writing Mao off after her 2011 Season
    * Crone/Poirer will challenge Worlds in coming seasons and Olympics never mind ending the partnerhip
    * Kavaguti/Smirnov will challenge for Pairs medal in Sochi
    * Virtue/Moir will continue dominating for another quad
    * Sotnikova cannot get her act together and has no chance of an OM
    * Denney / Coughlin would make the Olympics Team
    * Max Aaron a lock for US Olympic Team
    Why did some people try stupidly to turn this thread into Gracie thread? She wasn't even mentioned by sky-fly. You have issue with the poster, take it to PM. Argue the argument, not the poster. OP actually pointed out things correctly. It reminds us again how silly all those "predictions" can be and how unpredictable the results are, in some or even most cases. First- injuries, so comnon in this sport. Kawaguchi/Smirnov got injured, so did Takahashi, they were out of game. Tessa too dealt with health issues

I didn't expect LTalk to be replaced by Sky Fly.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle's Spiral View Post
    I think that C/B are best poised to emerge as America's top dance team, but I wouldn't count the Shibs out just yet. A lot can happen over the next quad.
    Perhaps, but that is irrelevant to this thread. The 2011-2014 quad is already over and the Shibutanis went through an unexpected (to most) steep decline over the remainder of that quad. BTW if the Shibutanis are behind Chock & Bates they wont be on any major podiums. The ISU is not going to have 2 American teams and 3 NA teams on world or olympic podiums even with both V&M and D&W retired. Not a chance.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast