Jazz music pieces and skating | Golden Skate

Jazz music pieces and skating

christinaskater

Medalist
What are you favourite jazz pieces? Who would you want to perform those pieces?

I loved Take Five -Takahiko Kozuka.

Panpie

On the Ice
It's not strictly jazz, but I would love for Stéphane Lambiel to skate to Rhapsody in Blue. I love "Cantaloupe Island" by Herbie Hancock, but am not sure about how skate-able it is.

Matilda

Medalist
This may not be the kind of jazz you had in mind, but I'd love to see a skate to Jan Garbarek's "Brother Wind March". This is a shorter concert version--the original is some 10-12 minutes long. At any rate, I think this could be cut into a terrific FS for a skater who really hears and feels the music and can interpret it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mjgr9UJuODM

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Didn't someone do an EX to Take Five?
Don't have a piece in mind, but I know the choreographer who should do it: Rohene Ward!

anyanka

Record Breaker
For late 80s / early 90s smooth jazz, I think Candy Dulfer's "Lily Was Here" could make a good short program. It's not obvious but it could be a great character piece as an "international woman of mystery" performance. Dunno who could fit into it though.

Didn't someone do an EX to Take Five?
Don't have a piece in mind, but I know the choreographer who should do it: Rohene Ward!

Torvill and Dean did a "Take Five" program as pro skaters. I like that piece, though I know there are skate fans who are tired of it.

Panpie, I agree that Lambiel would do a really spectacular job on Rhapsody in Blue. I think Kulik (wasn't that his LP for his Olympic gold?) didn't have the "inner jazz" necessary to interpret this piece, but Lambiel sure would. I think Kulik could do a better interpretation nowadays, because of all the unusual work he's done as a pro, notably learning footwork from Kurt Browning.

Speaking of whom, wouldn't Browning be stupendous at interpreting Rhapsody in Blue? Let's imagine him at his peak, though even today, he would be able to give it a sparkle that few others could equal.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Lu Chen had a short program to Take 5 in 1997, when she was injured and didn't get to compete much.

Browning had several great jazz numbers as a pro -- and his Saint Louis Blues short program.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I'm a big Chet Baker fan...since vocals are now allowed, I think "Let's Get Lost" would be a great short program. Which skater? I dunno...maybe Tatsuki or Denis Ten.

Although I generally don't care for Kevin Reynolds, I liked this piece he did for "The Ice" show last year: "But Not For Me" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v58G_54PA1A

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Bill Evans' "Waltz for Debby" -- not sure it would work as a competion piece; probably better as an exhibition.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Bill Evans' "Waltz for Debby" -- not sure it would work as a competion piece; probably better as an exhibition.

Bill Evans is my favorite jazz artist ever!! That said I was struggling to find a usable song. He is kind of depressing in a beautiful way.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Bill Evans is my favorite jazz artist ever!! That said I was struggling to find a usable song. He is kind of depressing in a beautiful way.

:agree:

"Alice in Wonderland", too...

He was an incredible pianist, wasn't he? Sometimes I think his fingers were floating about 1mm above the keyboard instead of actually touching it. Not so sure re: depressing, though -- dreamy, wistful, melancholy for sure, but depressing? Not so much...

Trying to think of a current skater who could do him justice and not coming up w/ any ideas @ the moment. :think:

Panpie

On the Ice
Panpie, I agree that Lambiel would do a really spectacular job on Rhapsody in Blue. I think Kulik (wasn't that his LP for his Olympic gold?) didn't have the "inner jazz" necessary to interpret this piece, but Lambiel sure would. I think Kulik could do a better interpretation nowadays, because of all the unusual work he's done as a pro, notably learning footwork from Kurt Browning.

I watched Kulik's Rhapsody in Blue a few a couple of weeks ago on YouTube. I wondered how Lambiel or Yagudin would skate to the music because I, too, found Kulik's program and interpretation lacking. I think Lambiel and Yagudin could do something so interesting with that music, but very, very different from each other. Stéphane can skate to anything, really.

Didn't Patrick Chan do program to Take Five? He was supposed to be picking up a woman in a bar or something.

It's not strictly jazz, but I would love for Stéphane Lambiel to skate to Rhapsody in Blue. I love "Cantaloupe Island" by Herbie Hancock, but am not sure about how skate-able it is.

Rhapsody In Blue is definitely jazz-inspired, though. Considering the popularity of the Gershwin Piano Concerto, I'm surprised that more skaters haven't tried to tackle Rhapsody.

Panpie

On the Ice
Rhapsody In Blue is definitely jazz-inspired, though. Considering the popularity of the Gershwin Piano Concerto, I'm surprised that more skaters haven't tried to tackle Rhapsody.

Agreed.

I don't have any specific piece in mind, but I think Daisuke, like Stéphane, is someone who could skate to any type of music.