What Amused or Shocked You This Season | Page 3 | Golden Skate

What Amused or Shocked You This Season

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How Yulia haters always put her down and say stuff like "she has potential" when she won like 5 gold medals this year. But then hype girls like Wagner and Gold who have won what?

Most people seem fairly receptive to Yulia here, or at least seem to be. Her artistry and composure have drastically improved over the course of the season and a lot of posts seem to acknowledge it. Ill add that to one of the things that amazed me this year! People have criticized her fairly and shown lots of respect with the exception of a few posters that clearly enjoy stirring the pot.

The good news is she won all those medals and still has potential. This is good I think.:popcorn:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How can we congratulate a false winner? I agree that we shouldn't throw personal attacks at her (criticisms yes, attacks no) but if you congratulate a false winner that won unfairly, you end up turning a blind eye and supporting to a system that is not working. This will only delay the desperately needed changes in figure skating. Only when people start asking questions, raise awareness and criticize what went WRONG, can we have a clean, FAIR sport. Historically, THIS IS HOW CHANGES ARE MADE. Please don't side with corruption. That is not good for anyone, not for the sport, not for Sotnikova. We could have congratulate Sotnikova with her bronze medal. ;)

Are you going to be alright? I'm starting to feel concerned you might throw your computer or something drastic like that.

CarneAsada

Medalist
What surprised me is just how huge this meteoric rise in PCS has been.. I was watching this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts2XfByC2TI
PCS on this is 56..

And Now High 60- Low 70s is expected from the last group.

Also, an unrelated note. Mao's TES BV @ the GPF that year was over 70!
Yuna and Mao were both terribly underscored that season. Yuna did even better here yet barely broke 60 PCS. Similar story with Mao at 4CC.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Shocked:
Volosozhar/Trankov winning Pairs OGM
Davis/White winning Ice Dance OGM
Russia winning Team OGM
Asada winning NHK Trophy
Kim winning Golden Spin and Korean Nationals
Kanako Murakami winning 4CC
Chan winning Skate Canada
Hanyu winning Japanese Nationals

Amused:
Ashley Wagner and the general way she acted too big for her britches
Every time Carolina Kostner blew a kiss to the camera
Every time Adelina Sotnikova landed 2 triple flips, and sky_fly's reaction to her winning Russian Nationals
Yuzuru Hanyu's reaction to his Sochi SP score, and the reaction of the lady next to him
Adelina Sotnikova's LP score in Sochi. I gaped for 2 seconds and laughed hysterically for the next 5 minutes.

donezo

On the Ice
Shocked:
- Jeremy Abbott's short program at U.S. Nationals
- Polina Edmunds' short program at U.S. Nationals
- Stolbova/Klimov's performances at Euros
- Ilinykh/Katsalapov's performances at the Olympics....and their free dance at Russian Nationals in a bad way
- Anna Pogorilaya's long program at Worlds
- Aikiko Suzuki's long program at Japanese Nationals
- Mao Asada's long program at the Olympics
- Hawayek/Baker's free dance at Junior Worlds
- Carolina Kostner's performances at the Olympics

cocofeliz

Rinkside
How can we congratulate a false winner? I agree that we shouldn't throw personal attacks at her (criticisms yes, attacks no) but if you congratulate a false winner that won unfairly, you end up turning a blind eye and supporting to a system that is not working. This will only delay the desperately needed changes in figure skating. Only when people start asking questions, raise awareness and criticize what went WRONG, can we have a clean, FAIR sport. Historically, THIS IS HOW CHANGES ARE MADE. Please don't side with corruption. That is not good for anyone, not for the sport, not for Sotnikova. We could have congratulate Sotnikova with her bronze medal. ;)

tell me how she is a false winner.
when you compare her to arakawa's performance, and to Lipinski's performances...Lipinksi and Arakawa's wins have never been debated, despite skating programs that were less difficult than
adelina's...
Adelina skated one of the hardest programs in the history of figure skating, and did it almost perfectly..
and now everyone is bashing her and cyberbullying her.
How is that fair? We must leave her alone, and acknowledge her win for something that she earned fair and square.

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
Shocked bad:
P/B coming in third at Worlds in such a slim margin (gold in my heart forever).
I/K splitting.
Mao's bomb of her SP at the Olympics.
The Sochi men's splatfest.
H/D having to drop Worlds so Madison could get surgery. I felt awful for her.
Mirai getting short sticked, even if I agree with the decision made.
Yulia falling apart in the individual event.

Shocked good:
Mao's FS in Sochi, and her World gold.
Kostner finally delivering great performances (silver medal worthy, arguably!)
Mirai rising to the challenge at Nationals.
I/K finally getting it together for the Olympics (I love P/B... But it was magical.)
Adelina doing amazingly in Sochi, even though I disagree with the results. She captivated me.

There's more, several more. But those are some top thoughts for me.

aa456

On the Ice
when you compare her to arakawa's performance, and to Lipinski's performances...Lipinksi and Arakawa's wins have never been debated, despite skating programs that were less difficult than adelina's...
Adelina skated one of the hardest programs in the history of figure skating, and did it almost perfectly..
How is that fair? We must leave her alone, and acknowledge her win for something that she earned fair and square.

Lipinski's win is debated even today. As far as arakawa is concerned, did you see the rest of the competition? Her's was the only clean skate amongst the top 3 so there's no room for debate.

Adelina's program was difficult but not "one of the hardest in the history of figure skating." Many skaters have done 7 triple programs before with the exact same layout as her. Didnt zijun li do one at last year's world and didnt manage to beat a 5 triple + 1 fall Caro in the FS (not saying she should have, Just stating she didnt). Didnt Julia do it at Euros? Didn't Mao do the most difficult program in Sochi with a base value with her under rotation calls higher than Adelina's? Also didnt lipinksi have a 3-3loop? That's one of hardest 3-3 there is excluding ones with 3 axels. Just saying there have been many programs that were at least as difficult.

I do agree with you though that all this Adelina bashing needs to stop. She didn't do anything to deserve such hate. And yes, people should leave her alone.

Back to the topic, in my many years of watching fgure skating and spending countless hours trying to understand COP, I was disappointed/shocked at the judging for most of the season. Sometimes it seemed like the judges were pulling those PCS and GOE numbers out of a hat. To top it all off, I never thought I would see a day when lightening strikes and Yuna, Mao and Caro all go relatively clean in their LPs at the same competition but someone else ends up winning it!

jkun

Final Flight
when you compare her to arakawa's performance, and to Lipinski's performances...Lipinksi and Arakawa's wins have never been debated, despite skating programs that were less difficult than
adelina's...

Sure, she skated a difficult free skate. Calling it one of the hardest programs ever does disservice to those before her. Also, let's not just completely ignore her junior level 3-3 combination in the short program.

jkun

Final Flight
to top it all off, i never thought i would see a day when lightening strikes and yuna, mao and caro all go relatively clean in their lps at the same competition but someone else ends up winning it!

this!

lbc2138

On the Ice
Back to the topic, in my many years of watching fgure skating and spending countless hours trying to understand COP, I was disappointed/shocked at the judging for most of the season. Sometimes it seemed like the judges were pulling those PCS and GOE numbers out of a hat. To top it all off, I never thought I would see a day when lightening strikes and Yuna, Mao and Caro all go relatively clean in their LPs at the same competition but someone else ends up winning it!

Sums it up nicely enough.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Canada easily retaining 3 spots in Ice Dance despite the absence of V&M.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
To top it all off, I never thought I would see a day when lightening strikes and Yuna, Mao and Caro all go relatively clean in their LPs at the same competition but someone else ends up winning it!

Same. It's so frustrating.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Amusing:
- Mao's FS in Sochi. what a comeback
- Caro going clean in an Olympics
- Yuna skating the way she did while having a right foot injury and not breaking down in front of a hostile crowd
- Jason Brown's Riverdance. :)))
- Yulia Lipnitskaia and her hyperflexi spins like how does she even do that?!?
- Adelina not falling in LP

Shocked
- Adelina coming so close to Yuna and higher than Caro in SP in Sochi.
- Adelina winning gold. I did not see that coming
- Yulia's two falls. I did not see that coming because she's consistent this season.
- Mao's SP. It broke my heart.
- Sochi fs ladies event overall

gammarae

Rinkside
What is shocking to me is how many people were shocked that Plushenko pulled out of the Olys. What was amusing to me was watching people flip over Tara and Johnny's wardrobe -- and completely miss how good the commentary was. What is puzzling to me is how long, and vehemently, people keep up the Olympic conspiracy threads -- hey, it's done. What is utterly dumbfounding are Speedy's latest recommendations.

What is comforting to me is that there will be another season. It will shocking - exciting - moving - surprising - amusing - amazing - hilarious - goofy - what the heck? THAT is what keeps me watching skating.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Is anyone shocked by the relatively low scoring of Ashley in General at Sochi but really at worlds. Am I the only one to say her world lp was fabulous? her pcs is low balled. she is an incredible performer. her fs was great great great. What else could she do? Her two foots matter. Pogo was shockingly good as a technician like all the R ussian teens, but -Ashley had a great program costume performance and no one wants to give her her due as a performer. As for complete mature performers this year we had Yuna. Mao .Carolina and Ashley and Gracie. Julia had the gut wrenching music and she played the little girl well. For me only memorable program from the Russians despite how amazing technically the 4 superstars are from Russia.

I am shocked at judges who loved Ashley two years ago as Delilah. I think the world Lp was the skate of her life. Why doesn't she get love anymore internationally? Her lp shocked me as totally free and fierce. Our Samantha Cesario is unsung as yet. I think a dull technician will win every time under IJS. I see Ashley being treated like She isn't wonderful. Nationals was a freak thing. Look at Jeremy who thinks he is special. I am still shocked at all the Wagner hate she got after Nationals. She is as bashed as Adelina and she is far more polished and refined than Adelina. I give Adelina her due but Both Gracie and Wagner are beautiful to watch. Only Julia had the great program and performed it well. Anna will be amazing one day but the Russian girls are great technicians at present not beautiful performers with special presentation or skating skills as yet.

Anna was a huge shock surprise for me at worlds. Look out Adelina! This girl will surpass you in pcs one day soon every time out! I will be happily surprised when we see someone who can show the beauty because the programs are all jump jump jump. I will be bored if it becomes a battle between only the Russians. When will we see a Russian lady who performs like caro Yuna Mao or our USA ladies? I'd rather see Ashley two foot an amazing skate than a clean 3/3 from a forgettable 0lympic skate. Not bashing her but she has less charisma than several Russian teens at present.

I am shocked that I/k didn't win gold at worlds. I do love this team and their fd.

Poodlepal

On the Ice
I think Ashley is done as far as the judges are concerned. Deservedly? I don't know, but I've seen American woman after American woman (or lady) go as high as 4th, then start sliding down even when skating pretty clean. I doubt a woman from the US will be allowed onto the podium unless she is so incredibly good that they can't deny her without it seeming suspicious.

Amusing:
1. Johnny and Tara. Love them, wish he could stay out off of TMZ, though.
2. Jason. Very cute Riverdance.
3. All day figure skating coverage on NBC Sports

Shocking:
1. Men's splatfest
2. No US medals at all at Worlds.
3. That after 10 years Jeremy still can't control his nerves two days in a row
4. That you still can't see the Worlds within a day or two of the competition

gettinglow

Match Penalty
I think Ashley is done as far as the judges are concerned. Deservedly? I don't know, but I've seen American woman after American woman (or lady) go as high as 4th, then start sliding down even when skating pretty clean. I doubt a woman from the US will be allowed onto the podium unless she is so incredibly good that they can't deny her without it seeming suspicious.

Amusing:
1. Johnny and Tara. Love them, wish he could stay out off of TMZ, though.
2. Jason. Very cute Riverdance.
3. All day figure skating coverage on NBC Sports

Shocking:
1. Men's splatfest
2. No US medals at all at Worlds.
3. That after 10 years Jeremy still can't control his nerves two days in a row4. That you still can't see the Worlds within a day or two of the competition

I wish I could say Jeremy Abbott not disappointing everyone when things get real was shocking, but it's not. He just doesn't have that extra something that international champions have. Also, he looks like a cartoon strip character. But that's beside the point.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Canada earning 2 spots in Men despite not placing a single man in the Top 10.