What Amused or Shocked You This Season | Golden Skate

What Amused or Shocked You This Season

skateluvr

Record Breaker
This is meant to be fun not serious like the ladies Sochi final but newsb that made you go r:eek: or :unsure: or :laugh: I guess I was shocked to hear aliona wants another four years to have a shot at Korea. Seems crazy delusional to me to ruin an incredible legacy with Robin. Also shocked and a bit funny that Johnny can still shock me with his Mike Tyson behavior getting him dumped. Thought he'd blow it but really even for Weird it is weird.

Under the people don't change category I happened upon the 20 year espn interview of Tonya and after she lies, whines, takes no responsibility as always and even comments that Nancy was a whiner to complain about a silver medal. I was amazed at her comments on the woman who she tried to disable. Apparently she still does not remember facts like her handwriting was verified on the scrap of paper found. It was really revealing because she all but says Nancy deserved it. Tonya can still shock me.

What made you laugh or gasp this year in the crazy sport of fs?

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Hanyu's reaction to winning Gold in Sochi...in his accented English.
"I'm First? I'm the First???? Oh My GOOOOOOOOD! OMGGGGG!" Keels over, gets up, rubs chest a few times. "I was so surprised..." deep breaths "Ok..."

Meoima

Match Penalty
- Sonitkova got the OMG - :eek:
- Aliona changes partner, aim for another 4 years.
- Hanyu won both OMG and WC. :eek: and he finally landed that 4S and perform a relatively clean long program.
- Plushy withdrew and retired for good :slink:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Yeah, I never expected Sotnikova to get the OGM, even though I thought she might have been on the podium after Euros. Aliona continuing is very shocking, too. Aside from Plushy's withdrawal, another big shock in the men's event was Jeremy Abbott's terrible fall, but luckily that didn't end too badly.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Hanyu's reaction to winning Gold in Sochi...in his accented English.
"I'm First? I'm the First???? Oh My GOOOOOOOOD! OMGGGGG!" Keels over, gets up, rubs chest a few times. "I was so surprised..." deep breaths "Ok..."

^ This for most amusing.

Most shocking: Mao's Olympic SP which took her out of medal contention and Yuna getting the OSM. Was really expecting the OGM to go to either of these two ladies. Regardless, both of them are legends.

flutzy13

On the Ice
-I/K putting together clean skates at the Olympics when the pressure was on.
-S/K winning the silver medal.
-D&C not making the Olympic team/skating in the team event.
-ashley finishing fourth at Nats. Jeremy winning Nats.
-Simon landing all the SBS triples at nationals and four programs at the Olympics.
-Hawayek and Baker defeating the Russians at JW
-C&L and W&P defeating I&K and P&b at the post Olympic Worlds

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Mao's Olympic SP was a huge shock to me, same with Sotnikova's OGM, knew someone from Russia would be propped up for a medal but to go as far as that lol

MiRé

Match Penalty
1. So Youn Park earning 2 spot for Korea was definitely a shock! Never thought Korea would accomplish such thing without Yuna Kim.

2. Mao having a breakdown at the Olympics. I honestly did not see that coming.

3. Carolina medaling

On the other hand..

1. Sochi was a joke.
2. PCS was a joke.
3. Adelina's gala at Sochi

FTnoona

Final Flight
Most shocking for me was Mao's breakdown in the olympic SP and her comeback in the FS. I didn't expect her to go down so hard after the season she was having nor did I expect her to comeback with the skate of her life in the FS.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
Mao's SP meltdown and LP redemption in Sochi. I really thought she'd be in it for gold.
Adelina finishing ahead of Julia. I completely counted her out. Julia has this "star quality" at least for me that I don't see as much in Adelina.
The ladies results. But I won't harp on about that.
Plushenko pulling out after the warmup. I thought he would have done it with enough time to send in a replacement.
Jeremy and Max getting 3 spots for 2015! Shocked in a good way.
The fact that my coworkers all know who Meryl and Charlie are.

anyanka

Record Breaker
File under "shocking":

- Ladies podium in Sochi
- Mao's performances in Sochi
- Tuktamysheva not being a factor at all this season when in fall 2011 she was considered the anointed one for Russia for 2013/14
- The dance podium at worlds
- Stolbova / Klimov coming out of seemingly nowhere to take silver AND a team gold when they were an afterthought just six months ago
- Smirnov's injury and that frightening video (I seriously thought it would literally paralyze him) just before the season started (I still feel bad for him but especially for Yuko)
- Oda making a mighty comeback in the fall, even winning a GPF medal, only to not get placed on the Japanese national team
- S Y Park's top 10 at worlds (great job!)
- Ten seemingly down for the count but then peaking at the right time to win Olympic bronze
- Javi's last jump in Sochi receiving 0 points, which knocked him off the podium completely
- Aljona wanting to continue and Robin's abrupt exit right after worlds
- I/K split rumors
- Martinez getting to OG when the Philippines never even had a skater before

It was certainly not the way people thought it would shake down, but it was never dull!

gettinglow

Match Penalty
Amused me:

the occasional disconnect between Ashley Wagner's brazen talk and her actual skating (as in when she tweeted "war paint" right before her LP at nationals and then proceeded to bomb her LP)...don't get me wrong, I'm often glad that Ashley says things that others are thinking but are just too afraid to say...however, she seems clueless sometimes about how funny it is that she talks herself up to be this warrior princess and then goes on to two foot most of her landings or fall over under pressure...hilarious!!!!

Miki Ando's comeback- sure, it's fine for Miki to have tried to make a comeback...but really, it was a pretty awful comeback...hilarious in its stiffness, slowness, interpretive deadness

Shocked by:

Nothing, really- the judging all season was amusing only in its flagrant disregard for fairness, accountability or sensibility; sadly, it was not shocking that the Sochi results were what they were...if you were tracking the inflation of the scores for certain skaters all season, it was obvious that certain (Russian) skaters were going to win at the Olympics regardless of how good they were...sadly, not shocking at all what happened :eek:hwell:

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Amused: -Javi's aerobic program
- this http://tinypic.com/r/245d5zr/8 "SO CLOSE!!"
- some reactions (Maxim Trankov, Scott Moir at OG, C/L at worlds)

Shocked (negatively): -V/T at europeans
-Mao's SP in Sochi
(positively): -S/K (and not S/S) got the silver medal in Sochi
-C/L world champions

sinless69uk

Rinkside
Shocking: in Britain, no BBC coverage of Europeans or Worlds, even though Coomes/Buckland ended up as bronze medallists in Euros.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Amused - Misha Ge at the Olympics and on social media :) , the "bromance" between Yuzuru and Javier (and Pooh), Johnny & Tara's daily wardrobes
Surprised - how refreshing and relatively drama-free the Worlds competition was compared to Sochi
Shocked - Plushy having to bow out

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Good shocking:
- Sotnikova's, Kim's, Mao's and Caro's FS in Sochi;
- team event in Sochi (it was fun, really);
- S/K won silver in Sochi;
- I/K got bronze in Sochi and were 4th with a terrible mistake in SD in Japan;
- Lipnitskaia;
- V/T perfect season;
- C/L are world champions.

Bad shocking:
- Lipnitskaia's FS in individual event in Sochi;
- B/S withdrawal from Worlds;
- Mao's SP in Sochi;
- Savchenko and Massot teaming up;
- B/L splitting;
- Caro's FS and final placing in Japan;
- Hanyu's and Chan's FS in Sochi;
- drama around I/K splitting rumours;
- anti-russian fans shouting around every corner that EVERY russian medal in every event is undeserved, and russian's PCS are always too high (I'm not talking about Sochi rn);
- people claiming that Skate Canada judging is more fair than Rostelecom cup judging.