Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What Amused or Shocked You This Season

Banned
    Amused me:

the occasional disconnect between Ashley Wagner's brazen talk and her actual skating (as in when she tweeted "war paint" right before her LP at nationals and then proceeded to bomb her LP)...don't get me wrong, I'm often glad that Ashley says things that others are thinking but are just too afraid to say...however, she seems clueless sometimes about how funny it is that she talks herself up to be this warrior princess and then goes on to two foot most of her landings or fall over under pressure...hilarious!!!!

Miki Ando's comeback- sure, it's fine for Miki to have tried to make a comeback...but really, it was a pretty awful comeback...hilarious in its stiffness, slowness, interpretive deadness

Shocked by:

Nothing, really- the judging all season was amusing only in its flagrant disregard for fairness, accountability or sensibility; sadly, it was not shocking that the Sochi results were what they were...if you were tracking the inflation of the scores for certain skaters all season, it was obvious that certain (Russian) skaters were going to win at the Olympics regardless of how good they were...sadly, not shocking at all what happened

Amused: -Javi's aerobic program
    - this http://tinypic.com/r/245d5zr/8 "SO CLOSE!!"
    - some reactions (Maxim Trankov, Scott Moir at OG, C/L at worlds)

Shocked (negatively): -V/T at europeans
    -Mao's SP in Sochi
    (positively): -S/K (and not S/S) got the silver medal in Sochi
    -C/L world champions

Rinkside
    Shocking: in Britain, no BBC coverage of Europeans or Worlds, even though Coomes/Buckland ended up as bronze medallists in Euros.

Amused - Misha Ge at the Olympics and on social media , the "bromance" between Yuzuru and Javier (and Pooh), Johnny & Tara's daily wardrobes
    Surprised - how refreshing and relatively drama-free the Worlds competition was compared to Sochi
    Shocked - Plushy having to bow out

umm...
    Good shocking:
    - Sotnikova's, Kim's, Mao's and Caro's FS in Sochi;
    - team event in Sochi (it was fun, really);
    - S/K won silver in Sochi;
    - I/K got bronze in Sochi and were 4th with a terrible mistake in SD in Japan;
    - Lipnitskaia;
    - V/T perfect season;
    - C/L are world champions.

Bad shocking:
    - Lipnitskaia's FS in individual event in Sochi;
    - B/S withdrawal from Worlds;
    - Mao's SP in Sochi;
    - Savchenko and Massot teaming up;
    - B/L splitting;
    - Caro's FS and final placing in Japan;
    - Hanyu's and Chan's FS in Sochi;
    - drama around I/K splitting rumours;
    - anti-russian fans shouting around every corner that EVERY russian medal in every event is undeserved, and russian's PCS are always too high (I'm not talking about Sochi rn);
    - people claiming that Skate Canada judging is more fair than Rostelecom cup judging.

Custom Title
    I'm not completely sure, but was it Jeremy Abbott who made that horrible-looking fall in Sochi? And then lying still for what seemed like forever, and just like that, getting up again and continuing. The fall was a bad shock, and the getting up having the strength and will to continue, way, way good shock.

And Hanyu winning the OGM, total (good) shock to me. I remember watching Patrick Chan skate, and I'm still a sort of casual viewer, in that I couldn't tell that the (to my eyes) small mistakes he made would end up being enough for Hanyu to win the OGM. I was so rooting for Hanyu, and I was *sure* Chan had won.

One does not simply skate into Sochi MaiKatze's Avatar
    I wasn't totally sure back then, but I also remember thinking that after Patrick had skated that he probably had won the Gold. I don't know if that had to do with years of watching Patrick making mistakes and win anyway or my status as a casual viewer like you Winnie_20.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gettinglow View Post
    Amused me:

the occasional disconnect between Ashley Wagner's brazen talk and her actual skating (as in when she tweeted "war paint" right before her LP at nationals and then proceeded to bomb her LP)...don't get me wrong, I'm often glad that Ashley says things that others are thinking but are just too afraid to say...however, she seems clueless sometimes about how funny it is that she talks herself up to be this warrior princess and then goes on to two foot most of her landings or fall over under pressure...hilarious!!!!
    I've noticed that Ashley tends to speak and write in an idiom I call motivation-speak. A lot of self-improvement books and classes stress phrases that are relentlessly positive or descriptive of a desired goal. The idea is that if you say it, you make it true. It does get tiresome, especially if the language are not matched by the achievements. This is why I don't find Ashley a rewarding interview: she's always recasting the situation into an image of what she aspires to. But if it helps give her strength, good for her.

I can't think of anything amusing at this moment, but shocking? The standouts for me were (1) Mao's short program (I felt my stomach dropping right out from my body when I heard about it and then again when I saw it) and then, in the opposite direction, her astounding long program; and (2) the Sochi men's final, which was like the Keystone Kops on ice. I felt terrible for the guys. No one wants to skate like that, especially not in the most important event of the year. So difficult to watch.

sad shock - Mao's sp in Sochi - great redemption in the free skate & @ Worlds
    amusing - Misha Ge in Sochi - so entertaining
    good shock - C/L winning Worlds (love this team, even though I was hoping for Nathalie & Fabian to win Worlds, with C/L on the podium)

I wish Plushy had withdrawn sooner to give enough time for another Russian man to have the chance to compete @ the Olympics (Plushy was amazing in the team event). Ultimately I was very pleased to see Maxim Kovtun have his chance to compete @ Worlds.

Though I was sad for Daisuke to have to withdraw from Worlds, I was grateful that Taka K. got to compete there.

bad shock - Michal Brezina in 23rd place after sp @ Worlds (I was hoping to see his free skate, but ultimately he withdrew due to injury). Ouch! Hope he heals well, and comes back stronger & healthier next season

Shocking/surprising:
    -Both of Mao Asada's Olympic skates: I never expected such a poor SP and I thought she'd fall apart in the FS after such a disappointment, not produce what is arguably the best FS ever.
    - Carolina Kostner completing a clean sweep with a medal in every event in the past quad, highlighted by two gorgeous Olympic skates that should have gotten her more than a bronze.
    - The dance results at Worlds.
    - Brian Joubert finally producing at the Olympics (but getting no love from the judges).
    - S/K winning the FS at Euros.
    - Jeremy Abbott's SP fall at the Olympics, and his performance afterward,

Amusing: The adventures of Kim Lucine and the balloon at Euros.

Rinkside
    I'm just shocked at Yuna Kim's perfect performance and Mao's surprising LP.They are both heroes.Sotnikova did a great job,but I think she deserves a third place,not the first.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MaiKatze View Post
    I wasn't totally sure back then, but I also remember thinking that after Patrick had skated that he probably had won the Gold. I don't know if that had to do with years of watching Patrick making mistakes and win anyway or my status as a casual viewer like you Winnie_20.
    In my memory, Patrick Chan was nearly always perfect, and mistakes were almost unheard of. Clearly I never paid enough attention to the footwork, full rotations etc. (this is not meant to be sarcastic, btw). I'm only slowly starting to learn about that stuff now. And I was one of those people who automatically assumed a fall like Hanyu made was much worse than those little blips in Chan's landings and such.

Love popcorn, hate horendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie_20 View Post
    In my memory, Patrick Chan was nearly always perfect, and mistakes were almost unheard of. Clearly I never paid enough attention to the footwork, full rotations etc. (this is not meant to be sarcastic, btw). I'm only slowly starting to learn about that stuff now. And I was one of those people who automatically assumed a fall like Hanyu made was much worse than those little blips in Chan's landings and such.
    Both Hanyu and PChan's LP at Sochi were nightmares I don't wish to remember. At least Hanyu won thanked to his SP, while PChan made a mistake in his SP which was also wonderful.
    I think men event at Sochi was more than just a shock for me. It's something to forget.

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    Shocked bad: Mao's Olympic short. Shocked good: Mao's Olympic long. Amused: http://distinctathlete.com/ashley-wa...olympics-meme/

On the Ice
    Shocked: Judging in Ladies /Adelina's PCS and Goes
    Jeremy falls so bad in SP
    Mao's black out in SP
    S/S reaction after the end of LP

Amused
    Mao's reaction after her grandious LP
    Ashley at K&C
    Plushchenko so relieved after good Lp in teamcompetition

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast