What Amused or Shocked You This Season | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What Amused or Shocked You This Season

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I'm not completely sure, but was it Jeremy Abbott who made that horrible-looking fall in Sochi? And then lying still for what seemed like forever, and just like that, getting up again and continuing. The fall was a bad shock, and the getting up having the strength and will to continue, way, way good shock.

And Hanyu winning the OGM, total (good) shock to me. I remember watching Patrick Chan skate, and I'm still a sort of casual viewer, in that I couldn't tell that the (to my eyes) small mistakes he made would end up being enough for Hanyu to win the OGM. I was so rooting for Hanyu, and I was *sure* Chan had won.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I wasn't totally sure back then, but I also remember thinking that after Patrick had skated that he probably had won the Gold. I don't know if that had to do with years of watching Patrick making mistakes and win anyway or my status as a casual viewer like you Winnie_20. ;)

Amused me:

the occasional disconnect between Ashley Wagner's brazen talk and her actual skating (as in when she tweeted "war paint" right before her LP at nationals and then proceeded to bomb her LP)...don't get me wrong, I'm often glad that Ashley says things that others are thinking but are just too afraid to say...however, she seems clueless sometimes about how funny it is that she talks herself up to be this warrior princess and then goes on to two foot most of her landings or fall over under pressure...hilarious!!!!

I've noticed that Ashley tends to speak and write in an idiom I call motivation-speak. A lot of self-improvement books and classes stress phrases that are relentlessly positive or descriptive of a desired goal. The idea is that if you say it, you make it true. It does get tiresome, especially if the language are not matched by the achievements. This is why I don't find Ashley a rewarding interview: she's always recasting the situation into an image of what she aspires to. But if it helps give her strength, good for her.

I can't think of anything amusing at this moment, but shocking? The standouts for me were (1) Mao's short program (I felt my stomach dropping right out from my body when I heard about it and then again when I saw it) and then, in the opposite direction, her astounding long program; and (2) the Sochi men's final, which was like the Keystone Kops on ice. I felt terrible for the guys. No one wants to skate like that, especially not in the most important event of the year. So difficult to watch.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
sad shock - Mao's sp in Sochi - great redemption in the free skate & @ Worlds
amusing - Misha Ge in Sochi - so entertaining
good shock - C/L winning Worlds (love this team, even though I was hoping for Nathalie & Fabian to win Worlds, with C/L on the podium)

I wish Plushy had withdrawn sooner to give enough time for another Russian man to have the chance to compete @ the Olympics (Plushy was amazing in the team event). Ultimately I was very pleased to see Maxim Kovtun have his chance to compete @ Worlds.

Though I was sad for Daisuke to have to withdraw from Worlds, I was grateful that Taka K. got to compete there.

bad shock - Michal Brezina in 23rd place after sp @ Worlds (I was hoping to see his free skate, but ultimately he withdrew due to injury). Ouch! Hope he heals well, and comes back stronger & healthier next season

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Shocking/surprising:
-Both of Mao Asada's Olympic skates: I never expected such a poor SP and I thought she'd fall apart in the FS after such a disappointment, not produce what is arguably the best FS ever.
- Carolina Kostner completing a clean sweep with a medal in every event in the past quad, highlighted by two gorgeous Olympic skates that should have gotten her more than a bronze.
- The dance results at Worlds.
- Brian Joubert finally producing at the Olympics (but getting no love from the judges).
- S/K winning the FS at Euros.
- Jeremy Abbott's SP fall at the Olympics, and his performance afterward,

Amusing: The adventures of Kim Lucine and the balloon at Euros.

Park Yuna

Spectator
I'm just shocked at Yuna Kim's perfect performance and Mao's surprising LP.They are both heroes.Sotnikova did a great job,but I think she deserves a third place,not the first.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I wasn't totally sure back then, but I also remember thinking that after Patrick had skated that he probably had won the Gold. I don't know if that had to do with years of watching Patrick making mistakes and win anyway or my status as a casual viewer like you Winnie_20. ;)
In my memory, Patrick Chan was nearly always perfect, and mistakes were almost unheard of. Clearly I never paid enough attention to the footwork, full rotations etc. (this is not meant to be sarcastic, btw). I'm only slowly starting to learn about that stuff now. And I was one of those people who automatically assumed a fall like Hanyu made was much worse than those little blips in Chan's landings and such. :slink:

Meoima

Match Penalty
In my memory, Patrick Chan was nearly always perfect, and mistakes were almost unheard of. Clearly I never paid enough attention to the footwork, full rotations etc. (this is not meant to be sarcastic, btw). I'm only slowly starting to learn about that stuff now. And I was one of those people who automatically assumed a fall like Hanyu made was much worse than those little blips in Chan's landings and such. :slink:
Both Hanyu and PChan's LP at Sochi were nightmares I don't wish to remember. At least Hanyu won thanked to his SP, while PChan made a mistake in his SP which was also wonderful.
I think men event at Sochi was more than just a shock for me. It's something to forget.:bang:

wolkenschloss

Rinkside
Shocked: Judging in Ladies /Adelina's PCS and Goes
Jeremy falls so bad in SP
Mao's black out in SP
S/S reaction after the end of LP

Amused
Mao's reaction after her grandious LP
Ashley at K&C
Plushchenko so relieved after good Lp in teamcompetition

Matilda

Medalist
Shocked:
--the splatfest that was men's FS in Sochi. That said, Yuzu's SP in Sochi was magical, and he showed in the Worlds what a fighter he is.
--Mao's SP in Sochi.

Shocking is too strong a word, but these were inspiring: Mao's comeback in the FS in Sochi. I bawled my eyes out watching it.
--Akiko's win of JN, with two amazing performances. :love:
--Miki making it to JN and skating a beautiful, memorable SP there.
--Jason's FS in US Nationals :points:
--Hubbell and Donohue making great progress although Madi skated the entire season with a torn labrum. Respect! :bow:

YLFan

Match Penalty
How Yulia haters always put her down and say stuff like "she has potential" when she won like 5 gold medals this year. But then hype girls like Wagner and Gold who have won what?

Buttercup

Record Breaker
How Yulia haters always put her down and say stuff like "she has potential" when she won like 5 gold medals this year. But then hype girls like Wagner and Gold who have won what?
Saying someone has a lot of potential shows that one is a hater? :confused:

You might want to go check your dictionary.

p.s. Wagner has won Nationals (twice), TEB (also twice), Skate America and 4CC. Gold's record is more modest at the moment, with her only major win being at Nationals, but I'm sure that will change.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Guys, can we please, please not make this into another Adelina hate thread?

Can we please stop saying that any criticism about judging means "I hate Adelina." It's not about Adelina per se, who seems like a nice enough person. It's about a broken and corrupt judging system. Sochi was just the most egregious in a long history of outright crap judging.

britebells

Rinkside
US Ladies Nationals was pretty shocking to me. I definitely didn't expect Ashley to come in fourth, for Mirai to rise to the occasion, or for Polina to get the silver!

dcehedy

Spectator
surprise: Hanyu won GPF, Olympics and Worlds in a roll and Patrick did not get any of those major Gold medals.

cocofeliz

Rinkside
omg enough of Adelina Bashing!
there is Arakawa who won the OGM after 5 triples, there is sasha cohen who won the silver after two falls. there is tara lipinski who won OMG after micro short fast rotated jumps and little artistry.
Adelina put down a solid program, it was the most challenging program of all the ladies that night, with the highest base points, and she did it near perfectly that night, overcoming a lot of pressure
Let's just quit talking about corrupt judging. lets stop bashing her and belittling her accomplishments for once. No one would have argued this much of Julia Lipniskaia won the OMG, which is laughable because her artistry is so much more lacking than Adelina's.
People just need to stop bullying Sotnikova. It was more or less fair judging, in my opinion.

cuon_alpinus

On the Ice
omg enough of Adelina Bashing!
there is Arakawa who won the OGM after 5 triples, there is sasha cohen who won the silver after two falls. there is tara lipinski who won OMG after micro short fast rotated jumps and little artistry.
Adelina put down a solid program, it was the most challenging program of all the ladies that night, with the highest base points, and she did it near perfectly that night, overcoming a lot of pressure
Let's just quit talking about corrupt judging. lets stop bashing her and belittling her accomplishments for once. No one would have argued this much of Julia Lipniskaia won the OMG, which is laughable because her artistry is so much more lacking than Adelina's.
People just need to stop bullying Sotnikova. It was more or less fair judging, in my opinion.

How can we congratulate a false winner? I agree that we shouldn't throw personal attacks at her (criticisms yes, attacks no) but if you congratulate a false winner that won unfairly, you end up turning a blind eye and supporting to a system that is not working. This will only delay the desperately needed changes in figure skating. Only when people start asking questions, raise awareness and criticize what went WRONG, can we have a clean, FAIR sport. Historically, THIS IS HOW CHANGES ARE MADE. Please don't side with corruption. That is not good for anyone, not for the sport, not for Sotnikova. We could have congratulate Sotnikova with her bronze medal. ;)

jkun

Final Flight
What surprised me is just how huge this meteoric rise in PCS has been.. I was watching this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts2XfByC2TI
PCS on this is 56..

And Now High 60- Low 70s is expected from the last group.

Also, an unrelated note. Mao's TES BV @ the GPF that year was over 70!