Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What Amused or Shocked You This Season

Custom Title
    Shocked:
    --the splatfest that was men's FS in Sochi. That said, Yuzu's SP in Sochi was magical, and he showed in the Worlds what a fighter he is.
    --Mao's SP in Sochi.

Shocking is too strong a word, but these were inspiring: Mao's comeback in the FS in Sochi. I bawled my eyes out watching it.
    --Akiko's win of JN, with two amazing performances.
    --Miki making it to JN and skating a beautiful, memorable SP there.
    --Jason's FS in US Nationals
    --Hubbell and Donohue making great progress although Madi skated the entire season with a torn labrum. Respect!

Custom Title
    h

How Yulia haters always put her down and say stuff like "she has potential" when she won like 5 gold medals this year. But then hype girls like Wagner and Gold who have won what?

Quote Originally Posted by YLFan View Post
    How Yulia haters always put her down and say stuff like "she has potential" when she won like 5 gold medals this year. But then hype girls like Wagner and Gold who have won what?
    Saying someone has a lot of potential shows that one is a hater?

You might want to go check your dictionary.

p.s. Wagner has won Nationals (twice), TEB (also twice), Skate America and 4CC. Gold's record is more modest at the moment, with her only major win being at Nationals, but I'm sure that will change.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    Guys, can we please, please not make this into another Adelina hate thread?
    Can we please stop saying that any criticism about judging means "I hate Adelina." It's not about Adelina per se, who seems like a nice enough person. It's about a broken and corrupt judging system. Sochi was just the most egregious in a long history of outright crap judging.

Rinkside
    US Ladies Nationals was pretty shocking to me. I definitely didn't expect Ashley to come in fourth, for Mirai to rise to the occasion, or for Polina to get the silver!

Rinkside
    surprise: Hanyu won GPF, Olympics and Worlds in a roll and Patrick did not get any of those major Gold medals.

Rinkside
    omg enough of Adelina Bashing!
    there is Arakawa who won the OGM after 5 triples, there is sasha cohen who won the silver after two falls. there is tara lipinski who won OMG after micro short fast rotated jumps and little artistry.
    Adelina put down a solid program, it was the most challenging program of all the ladies that night, with the highest base points, and she did it near perfectly that night, overcoming a lot of pressure
    Let's just quit talking about corrupt judging. lets stop bashing her and belittling her accomplishments for once. No one would have argued this much of Julia Lipniskaia won the OMG, which is laughable because her artistry is so much more lacking than Adelina's.
    People just need to stop bullying Sotnikova. It was more or less fair judging, in my opinion.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cocofeliz View Post
    omg enough of Adelina Bashing!
    there is Arakawa who won the OGM after 5 triples, there is sasha cohen who won the silver after two falls. there is tara lipinski who won OMG after micro short fast rotated jumps and little artistry.
    Adelina put down a solid program, it was the most challenging program of all the ladies that night, with the highest base points, and she did it near perfectly that night, overcoming a lot of pressure
    Let's just quit talking about corrupt judging. lets stop bashing her and belittling her accomplishments for once. No one would have argued this much of Julia Lipniskaia won the OMG, which is laughable because her artistry is so much more lacking than Adelina's.
    People just need to stop bullying Sotnikova. It was more or less fair judging, in my opinion.
    How can we congratulate a false winner? I agree that we shouldn't throw personal attacks at her (criticisms yes, attacks no) but if you congratulate a false winner that won unfairly, you end up turning a blind eye and supporting to a system that is not working. This will only delay the desperately needed changes in figure skating. Only when people start asking questions, raise awareness and criticize what went WRONG, can we have a clean, FAIR sport. Historically, THIS IS HOW CHANGES ARE MADE. Please don't side with corruption. That is not good for anyone, not for the sport, not for Sotnikova. We could have congratulate Sotnikova with her bronze medal.

Custom Title
    What surprised me is just how huge this meteoric rise in PCS has been.. I was watching this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts2XfByC2TI
    PCS on this is 56..

And Now High 60- Low 70s is expected from the last group.

Also, an unrelated note. Mao's TES BV @ the GPF that year was over 70!

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YLFan View Post
    Most people seem fairly receptive to Yulia here, or at least seem to be. Her artistry and composure have drastically improved over the course of the season and a lot of posts seem to acknowledge it. Ill add that to one of the things that amazed me this year! People have criticized her fairly and shown lots of respect with the exception of a few posters that clearly enjoy stirring the pot.

The good news is she won all those medals and still has potential. This is good I think.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jkun View Post

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cuon_alpinus View Post
    How can we congratulate a false winner? I agree that we shouldn't throw personal attacks at her (criticisms yes, attacks no) but if you congratulate a false winner that won unfairly, you end up turning a blind eye and supporting to a system that is not working. This will only delay the desperately needed changes in figure skating. Only when people start asking questions, raise awareness and criticize what went WRONG, can we have a clean, FAIR sport. Historically, THIS IS HOW CHANGES ARE MADE. Please don't side with corruption. That is not good for anyone, not for the sport, not for Sotnikova. We could have congratulate Sotnikova with her bronze medal.
    Are you going to be alright? I'm starting to feel concerned you might throw your computer or something drastic like that.

Custard Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jkun View Post
    What surprised me is just how huge this meteoric rise in PCS has been.. I was watching this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts2XfByC2TI
    PCS on this is 56..

And Now High 60- Low 70s is expected from the last group.

Also, an unrelated note. Mao's TES BV @ the GPF that year was over 70!
    Yuna and Mao were both terribly underscored that season. Yuna did even better here yet barely broke 60 PCS. Similar story with Mao at 4CC.

Custard Title
    Shocked:
    Volosozhar/Trankov winning Pairs OGM
    Davis/White winning Ice Dance OGM
    Russia winning Team OGM
    Asada winning NHK Trophy
    Kim winning Golden Spin and Korean Nationals
    Kanako Murakami winning 4CC
    Chan winning Skate Canada
    Hanyu winning Japanese Nationals

Amused:
    Ashley Wagner and the general way she acted too big for her britches
    Every time Carolina Kostner blew a kiss to the camera
    Every time Adelina Sotnikova landed 2 triple flips, and sky_fly's reaction to her winning Russian Nationals
    Yuzuru Hanyu's reaction to his Sochi SP score, and the reaction of the lady next to him
    Adelina Sotnikova's LP score in Sochi. I gaped for 2 seconds and laughed hysterically for the next 5 minutes.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast