Did Kostner deserve the bronze? | Golden Skate

Did Kostner deserve the bronze?

gettinglow

Match Penalty
While I was generally pleased with the ladies event at Worlds this year, I do think Carolina's bronze medal is a bit questionable. She did skate a wonderful short program, but she completely imploded in the long. While Anna Pogorilaya is probably one of the least charismatic skaters ever (at least at the moment), I feel a bit sorry for her considering she put it down technically in the long and was certainly an impressive, superior technical skater in Saitama. Obviously, Carolina's PCS were high (as they should be), but to win a medal and skate like she did in her LP somehow seems...off. What do you guys think?

qwertyskates

Medalist
While I was generally pleased with the ladies event at Worlds this year, I do think Carolina's bronze medal is a bit questionable. She did skate a wonderful short program, but she completely imploded in the long. While Anna Pogorilaya is probably one of the least charismatic skaters ever (at least at the moment), I feel a bit sorry for her considering she put it down technically in the long and was certainly an impressive, superior technical skater in Saitama. Obviously, Carolina's PCS were high (as they should be), but to win a medal and skate like she did in her LP somehow seems...off. What do you guys think?

I don't think Caro deserved bronze, but I'm not particularly upset either, these calls are par for the course. Am I not being sufficiently pro-Russia?

jcsamex

Rinkside
Skating can be an unfair sport as we all should know by now. However, I do think Carolina deserved that bronze as I think she's unmatchable right now in terms of PCS (and yes, not even by Yuna Kim).

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Her free skate score was too high but I'm not worked up over it or anything, I guess it was just a goodbye present

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Well, I think no. She doesn't deserve her bronze. If Ms. Gold was 4th than I would say yes. But we also had Pogorilaya, who skated two clean programs there.
She also had highest TES in FS, even higher than Asada.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
She obviosuly didn't deserve it, considering how Pogorilaya skated, but we can consider it a farewell present from the judges ;) (even if we can agree that she wasn't THAT overscored in the free, and a couple of points less in PCS wouldn't have changed the result)

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
That bronze for Carolina was another case of a skater being so far away in the SP, that no matter what they do in the LP, they will hang on. After the SP to me it seemed like the judges were willing to make Carolina World Champion a second time. She was the only skater from the Sochi podium present, so it made sense to them. The only one who could've possibly upset her for the bronze, after she bombed the LP, was Gracie Gold. All in all I think that it also has to do with Anna P. being far from the annointed ones. Bad for Anna, good for the others.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
She obviosuly didn't deserve it, considering how Pogorilaya skated, but we can consider it a farewell present from the judges ;) (even if we can agree that she wasn't THAT overscored in the free, and a couple of points less in PCS wouldn't have changed the result)
Yes. But Anna was underscored in FP AND SP. Couple points here and couple points there have made the difference. It's only my opinion anyway :)
But I like Caro and wish her only best in the future!

David21

On the Ice
That bronze for Carolina was another case of a skater being so far away in the SP, that no matter what they do in the LP, they will hang on.

If Anna had a better LP program-wise, I think she could (and should) have gotten the bronze medal with higher PCS. But as it was, while Caro was a bit overscored in the LP, with her better prorgams and much better SP, Caro deserved the higher place than Anna overall IMO.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
1. Mao Asada (1st SP, 1st LP)
2. Julia Lipnitskaia (3rd SP, 2nd LP)
3. Anna Pogorilaya (6th SP, 3rd LP)
4. Ashley Wagner (9th SP, 4th LP)
5. Akiko Suzuki (4th SP, 6th LP)
6. Carolina Kostner (2nd SP, 10th LP)
7. Gracie Gold (5th SP, 8th LP)
8. Polina Edmunds (12th SP, 5th LP)
9. Kanako Murakami (7th SP, 9th LP)
10. So Youn Park (13th SP, 7th LP)

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
If Anna had a better LP program-wise, I think she could (and should) have gotten the bronze medal with higher PCS. But as it was, while Caro was a bit overscored in the LP, with her better prorgams and much better SP, Caro deserved the higher place than Anna overall IMO.

I'm not sure. But then Anna has beaten Carolina before, so it was certainly possible. I think it was decided in the SP though. Anna skated a clean SP and I see no reason why Julia's SP for example was so superior to hers. I thought 66 points were actually a good and fair scoring, but that was before the 5th group were all getting marks over 70.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Not sure, Probably just barely,

She's lucky to have rotated her 3-3 in the FS

lower PCS would've still had her just above Pogs,

I'm not mad at people who feel Pogs deserved it though…

Meoima

Match Penalty
In term of PCS I think she deserves the bronze. But in term of TES, Anna. P deserves the bronze.

desertskates

Medalist
1. Mao Asada (1st SP, 1st LP)
2. Julia Lipnitskaia (3rd SP, 2nd LP)
3. Anna Pogorilaya (6th SP, 3rd LP)
4. Ashley Wagner (9th SP, 4th LP)
5. Akiko Suzuki (4th SP, 6th LP)
6. Carolina Kostner (2nd SP, 10th LP)
7. Gracie Gold (5th SP, 8th LP)
8. Polina Edmunds (12th SP, 5th LP)
9. Kanako Murakami (7th SP, 9th LP)
10. So Youn Park (13th SP, 7th LP)