Did Kostner deserve the bronze? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Did Kostner deserve the bronze?

wolkenschloss

Rinkside
I don't like Mairmaid LP but she deserved bronze. Caro was superior at PCS but had too many weak points at technics.
The big PCS gap between Anna and Yulia is for me not understandable. Yulia's SS is better and has some nice transitions but in another three points she exceeds Anna not so much.

BusyMom

Medalist
Well we just have different opinions, I do think Yulia deserved silver.
No big deal, I have no problem with your disagreement. You have your reasons and I have mines. In the past, I prefer Julia over Anna but not this time.

Components

Match Penalty
No.

Her PCS was way too high for the performance she gave, and there were too many mistakes and dubious qualities to that program.

Any other skater who did that wouldn't have broken 120 with that skate.

noskates

Record Breaker
No. But then I never did "get" the Carolina worship! To have taken 10th in the LP and win a medal? Strange.

b-man

Final Flight
Kostner way overscored in PCS in FS considering her whole performance, she should have finished 6th or 7th overall. Maybe a makeup for not getting a silver in Sochi. Anna P. deserved the bronze and was impressive.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
She didn't deserve it in Sochi; she deserved better.

While I was generally pleased with the ladies event at Worlds this year, I do think Carolina's bronze medal is a bit questionable. She did skate a wonderful short program, but she completely imploded in the long. While Anna Pogorilaya is probably one of the least charismatic skaters ever (at least at the moment), I feel a bit sorry for her considering she put it down technically in the long and was certainly an impressive, superior technical skater in Saitama. Obviously, Carolina's PCS were high (as they should be), but to win a medal and skate like she did in her LP somehow seems...off. What do you guys think?
Yes, she did. The quality of her SP and her skating are such that she deserved to beat Pogo despite the mistakes in the FS. And she didn't implode, she had a subpar skate. 2009 Worlds was an implosion.

I do think that her PCS should have been a bit more muted in the FS, though, making for a narrower margin.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
It was a goodbye present for not getting the silver in Sochi. It probably wasn't super fair, but it's hardly the most egregious example of bad judging. Caro has been so good for so long that I can't really get worked up about it.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
It was a goodbye present for not getting the silver in Sochi. It probably wasn't super fair, but it's hardly the most egregious example of bad judging. Caro has been so good for so long that I can't really get worked up about it.

I think the outcry, in this forum and generally, always depends on who exactly is the one who "loses" the medal. If that's a favourite you have lots of posts and upsetness ála Adelina over Yuna, voilá. If for example, Gracie would have been the one who skated perfectly and Carolina had gotten the bronze, you can bet a lot of people would "get worked up about it". Pogo as random russia number 8 newbie girl just hasn't got the lobby and army of supporters.

eli60056

On the Ice
I think the outcry, in this forum and generally, always depends on who exactly is the one who "loses" the medal. If that's a favourite you have lots of posts and upsetness ála Adelina over Yuna, voilá. If for example, Gracie would have been the one who skated perfectly and Carolina had gotten the bronze, you can bet a lot of people would "get worked up about it". Pogo as random russia number 8 newbie girl just hasn't got the lobby and army of supporters.

Well said!
I am a new member here and the more I read in the forum, the more I get this same impression.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Really? I get the impression that half this forum now hates Gracie. Mostly thanks to a certain someone overpromoting her.

skatefancanada

Spectator
controversies over judging never cease to amaze me. Especially in a sport where a committee of old folks can meet the day after an event to vote on who will and will not go to the Olympics. Many seem to defend a committee selection of Wagner and then are outraged by judges' decisions at an event. Its no wonder people generally enjoy skating but think the whole judging thing is a farce. How about if after tonight's basketball game a committee meets to decide on the national champion? After all, considering their 'body of work' over the course of the year there are more deserving teams...

aschiutza

On the Ice
IMO Carolina was better than Pogo, which presentation was bland ans easy to forget. I am at the moment baffled for the love she gets for that program.

But Carolina's FS was not worth a bronze - granted her short program was better, but still too much PCS there. I find Bolero anyway her worst FS from her whole career.

I would have not given the bronze to anyone.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Anna was clean, which cannot be said for any of the top ladies at this event. She was the only one. Even if her PCS is so much worse than all of them (a notion I don't agree with, I don't see Julia's superiorness at all, but let's just assume they are better for now) she still deserves credit for at least this much.

aschiutza

On the Ice
Pogo was clean but bland. Apart of being clean i cannot remeber for my life anything else about her. She didn't wow me till now (this may change in the future, but as for now, no, she is not better than Caro).

I can see Julia superiorness, i can see why she stands out. She has loads of charisma. Her jumps are not big, but she has loads of other features. Her programs remained in my head, without being a fan of her or looking at her till this season ( i absolutly hate the over hype some juniors get before shwoing themselves worth of it at the senior level).

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I don't think she is generally better than Carolina. But that wasn't the question anyway. I think Anna leaves an impression. She certainly made an impact on me when she won Cup of China, I thought wow, here comes an underdog and just beats the Linas just like that. And she left a pretty negative impression on me during GPF when she just gave up during her LP. I was disappointed in her performance and not that happy when she replaced Adelina at Worlds. But at this Worlds she was underscored or the others were overscored. Just imagine this competition as the Olympic Ladies Event. I don't believe for a minute that Carolina would've held on to the bronze medal in that scenario.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Just imagine this competition as the Olympic Ladies Event. I don't believe for a minute that Carolina would've held on to the bronze medal in that scenario.
Well, duh, Pogo is Russian. Conversely, if the Olympic competition had not been held in Russia, I suspect Carolina's medal would have been a different color. So what?

I don't get the wuzrobbing on behalf of Pogo. She is still developing on the PCS side of her skating, and was rightly well behind the leaders after the SP. I have no objection to her scoring well in the FS, but Kostner did enough to hang on to her SP lead. Note that while she made obvious mistakes, just about everyone else simply made less obvious mistakes (URs and wrong edge takeoffs). When the panel is tough on those things, skaters with good technique have an advantage.