Success rate of Switching Partnerships in Pairs and Ice Dance | Golden Skate

Success rate of Switching Partnerships in Pairs and Ice Dance

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
as one of the prerequisites for successful Pairs and Ice Dance which is height difference
with many swapping and end of partnership usually after an Olympics season
take on the Russian team, while Katsalapov/Sinitsina have the potential to be successful
Ilinykh/Zhiganshin seems questionable, It would be wiser if she returned to skating with Bukin
who seem much sturdier in built and matches her mature look on the ice while Zhiganshin looks like a school boy

a new partnership doesnt always come to the end of the skating career chapter
sometimes it will get better for the 2nd , 3rd or 4th time
lets not forget the 90's and early 20's was full of swapping drama

for now Sinitsina/Katsalapov are the only winners, they are both attractive and look to be physically matched

Pairs-wise: When Maxim Trankov split from Maria Mukhortova and paired up with Tatiana Volosozhar it worked out very well for him... Granted in-part because V/T just gel better than M/T ever did.

Alba

Record Breaker
as one of the prerequisites for successful Pairs and Ice Dance which is height difference
take on the Russian team, while Katsalapov/Sinitsina have the potential to be successful
Ilinykh/Zhiganshin seems questionable,

I'm sorry but Elena is 1.64cm and Ruslan 1.77cm. Katsalapov is 1.80cm and Victoria 1.68cm. So I&Z would have 13 cm difference and S&K 12 cm difference.
I don't understand where is the problem with I&Z regarding height difference?
On the contrary Ruslan seems to have an advantage dancing with a smaller partner. It's Katsalapov that will have to adjust to taller girl, if as you say the size difference is so important.

It would be wiser if she returned to skating with Bukin
who seem much sturdier in built and matches her mature look on the ice while Zhiganshin looks like a school boy

I don't like his look very much either, but I don't think Charlie White had a man's look either and he got many gold medals. ;)

Alba

Record Breaker
When Anissina & Averbukh split, it worked out well for both of them :)

I think it worked better for Anissina though. Ilia was a much better skater than Irina, IMO.
I think Anissina and Averbukh together would've been great. Greater than Anissina and Piezerat.

fly_sky20

Match Penalty
Ilinykh/Zhiganshin seems questionable, It would be wiser if she returned to skating with Bukin

for now Sinitsina/Katsalapov are the only winners, they are both attractive and look to be physically matched

why do you continue to be so obsessed with skaters looks

yuna kim could look like a troll under the london brige and still win an ogm. sinitsina and katsalapov are both weak skaters and they aint gettin by by dazzling the judges with their mediocre white people looks sry2say

tulosai

Record Breaker
I'm sorry but Elena is 1.64cm and Ruslan 1.77cm. Katsalapov is 1.80cm and Victoria 1.68cm. So I&Z would have 13 cm difference and S&K 12 cm difference.
I don't understand where is the problem with I&Z regarding height difference?
On the contrary Ruslan seems to have an advantage dancing with a smaller partner. It's Katsalapov that will have to adjust to taller girl, if as you say the size difference is so important.

+1000 but don't expect sky_fly to actually acknowledge this post.

IMO is is Nikita who has made an awful mistake here. Elena and Ruslan are going to be fine- height wise and otherwise.

Alba

Record Breaker
IMO is is Nikita who has made an awful mistake here.

I don't know about that tbh. I've seen Victoria this year only and she sure is good looking and have good lines. They seem as a good match and might work very well as a couple.

I really hope and want for Elena that her new partnership works out well. I don't know Ruslan well as a skater either, but I hope he will be a better match for her from a character/personality point of view. She sure needs someone who's patient and can handle her.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just a quick question for a post I am writing for another thread.

You know the way that, if you switch partners and it means you have to switch countries, then you are not allowed to compete for 2 years.

Well, what happens if, during the embargo, you realise that the new partnership doesn't work, and you go back to your old partner?

Are you allowed to start competing again with your previous partner straight away? After all, technically speaking, you have not yet competed for a different country.

Or, does a new 2 year embargo start? After all, according to the paperwork, you have switched countries again?

Sorry if this is not the right thread to ask this in. But since my question is about switching partners and it not being successful, this seemed the most appropriate thread I could find.

CaroLiza_fan

uhh

Medalist
You could start again straight away. The 2 year period starts from when you last competed internationally - if you never competed with the new partner, you could go back to the old or to another skater from the same country as the old and start competing internationally immediately.

Jenni Meno and Todd Sand were the product of a switch. Todd had been skating with Natasha Kuchiki, and Jenni Meno with Scott Wendland. Meno and Sand became the best American pair of their time. They later married, and they have several children. So the partnership has been successful both on and off the ice.

elif

Medalist
When Anissina & Averbukh split, it worked out well for both of them :)

No. This didn't work for Averbukh. He could have been a olympic champion, but he is only lucky olympic silver medalist.;) Worked great for Anissina (olympic bronze and gold) but they could have been legends together. :cool:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
You could start again straight away. The 2 year period starts from when you last competed internationally - if you never competed with the new partner, you could go back to the old or to another skater from the same country as the old and start competing internationally immediately.

Thank you so much uhh! :bow:

Just wanted to have the rule clarified so that I didn't make a total eejit of myself when I post the other comment. I find it very embarassing when I get a small detail wrong in a post, and somebody makes a big deal of it when they are correcting me.

So, to avoid that, I thought it would be better to check it out beforehand. ;)

Thank you again

CaroLiza_fan

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
You've taken on quite the complex topic here, sky_fly! :laugh:

This is one of those topics that can lead to very detailed and intense discussion! The whole nature of skating partnerships is very complex and fraught with challenges and difficult decisions, and as we're seeing at the end of this season, many partnerships are very fragile and can go bust at any time, even if they've been successful.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada

But that was then, and this is now. The 1990's was a LONG time ago. Even the early 2000's was a long time ago in a sense.

Remember how much things have changed in our society in terms of social media. A decade or two ago, there was no Twitter, very little Internet compared to today, and much less involvement in media by skating federations, skaters, etc. Unless you were a famous skater, very little of what you did would get public attention or be talked about, and most of the public wouldn't even know.

Today, every single coaching change, injury, music selection, retirement, partnership, etc. is posted online on skating federation websites, and by coaches, skaters and members of the public on Twitter. Skating forums like this were few and far between in the 1990's. And skaters certainly didn't have Twitter accounts, or their own websites the way they do today, or the fan clubs, etc.

Nowadays you can make one partnership change, yes. Maybe two. But once you get to a prominent level, you can't change partners every 2 minutes. The federations won't stand for it. They invest a lot of money and time in these teams and don't want them to be reconstituted every year. The fans won't have the same emotional loyalty or desire to go to skating shows if the skaters they like are changing partners every year. People grow attached to certain teams and seeing certain people together and the more partnership changes you make, the more you risk alienating your supporters.

And then there's the fact that it can take you several years to work your way back up the standings with the judges and get back to where you were before the partnership change. Some partnership changes do indeed end up being for the best - I absolutely agree with that part. Some of the partner changes that have been criticized on skating forums as bad decisions turned out to be good changes. But it's something a team has to think carefully about, because in the modern age, you aren't likely to get to the World or Olympic podium if you change your partner at the Senior level 3 or 4 times.

Victura

On the Ice
I think there's just so many factors at play in a partnership and in switching partners that it's hard to glean anything general from past successes or failures. It's so dependent on the people in the partnerships and how they relate to each other, their work ethic, coaching, etc. A lot of pairs and ice dance couples these days have had more than one partner in their careers, and some of them do find success after having switched. Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze, Sale and Pelletier, Volosozhar and Trankov, Savchenko and Szokowy - all the product of various switches. It almost seems like a rarity to have just one partner these days.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
True. The days of beginning and ending your career with one partner are largely over. Only a small number of teams are able to stay together for their whole careers (Virtue/Moir & Davis/White are the rare ones who do).

But while it's normal to switch partners, it becomes harder to do the older you get and the more times you do it. Do it once for a good reason and it can lead to a better partnership. But try to go fishing for a new partner every year and there will be ramifications.