Adian Pitkeev | Page 18 | Golden Skate

Adian Pitkeev

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Thank you for translating! :thank:

- One month left before Russian championship in Ekaterinburg. “I’ll go and win it!” - did this moment come?
- Maybe yes. I don’t know, in what physical form Maxim Kovtun is. Except him, I saw all the skaters. Today all have equal chances: Konstantin Menshov, Sergei Voronov, Michail Kolyada. Maxim Kovtun is also in this list, I think. Struggle will be. Everybody can win.

Artur Dmitriev's SB score is right up there with those guys, so it's really going to be interesting this year. :drama::popcorn:

borzaya

Final Flight
But, as I think, not so shy as he seems to be. A timid person wouldn't smash his phone and PC in case of failure!

Well, it depends...:) To be honest, when reading Adian's interviews I recognize a bit myself, when I was a teenager... I also used to be shy at that time and concerned that I could do or say smth wrong, but at the same time I could easily go furious about this or that... not to breaking things, luckily, but close to that :biggrin: So, one doesn't exclude another.

Last edited:

Sofia

Lil sweetheart has big ideas
On the Ice

:laugh: For me he was a tiny bit better than expected. At least he tried to overcome his shyness. But still, it really takes time...the second video in which it was written all over his face that "I wanna go home right now":con3:
Despite all the nervousness, it seemed he maintained a clear mind and competently expressed his thoughts.

Allow me to throw a piece of wood into the fire... text version of part of the second video (Google translated):
Adian Pitkeev: I think it will soon be able to compete with Plushenko
November 22, 2015 23:59

Silver medalist at the Moscow Grand Prix of Figure Skating Adian Pitkeev commented on his speech and spoke about future goals.
- Success I was able to achieve most likely due to their experience, if still small. On the whole, pleased with the result, despite the fact that Javier Fernandez conceded. But in any case, I am very pleased that I was able to impose the struggle.
I understand that in the future I will have to compete with Evgeni Plushenko. Before that, I was competing with him. I can say that now I'm stronger than before, and more appreciate their abilities. I think it will soon be able to compete with Plushenko - Pitkeev said the TV channel "Match TV".

Last edited:

Aleksey

Rinkside

exerym

On the Ice
The video of the interview on TV
Reporter: Gala-show is the reward for the best skaters. Pitkeev didn't think that he would be in, so his show number wasn't ready. Only after the FS, knew he win silver, Adian start to make it and finished at 2AM.
Adian: It was unusual for me and I was very nervous. I think there would be people who won't like it and I ask them to be not so hard on me, because it's a first time I've skated it.

iskate

On the Ice
I'm going to translate this, maybe a bit later if someone else wont do it

I had a go, I'm a student of Russian so it's not perfect. It was very good practice for me though! Do correct me if I made mistakes. I paraphrased everything a lot to sound better in English.

Adian Pitkeev: "We put together the exhibition number in a night"

Russian figure skater Adian Pitkeev won silver at the Grand Prix "Rostelecom Cup". This is the first medal for the 17 year old athlete in the Senior series, where he debuted last season.

In this interview with Adian Pitkeev, (we discuss) his victory over Javier Fernandez, the "depression" the night before the competition in Moscow, and about how "dreams come true".

Adian, in a nutshell, how do you evaluate your performances in Moscow?

-Performing in Moscow was interesting. This Grand Prix event, in my view, was the strongest - in any case, definitely the most interesting.

My own performance, I evaluate well ("I am happy with my performance"). Mainly everything worked out. But I need to "polish" the triple axel and add a second quad.

You were the leader after the SP, which is often a psychological test for athletes. How did you manage to successfully cope with this?

-A similar situation happened to me last year at the JWC in Tallinn. Then I was second after the SP, but in the free I was spooked and as a result ended up in 5th place.

The Chinese skater Boyang Jin was 5th after the SP, but in the FS skated brilliantly and got second place. I didn't manage to cope myself then, but thought that I need to learn from this, and sooner or later everything will work out.

At the Grand Prix in Moscow, did the very thought that you were ahead of the champion Javier Fernandez shake your mindset leading into the FS?

-The best thing to do was to forget about everything and relax the next day, going into the competition with a cool head. Liza Tuktamysheva wrote the same thing to me, saying to try and distract yourself/escape. I thank her for this. Yulia Lipnitskaya sent a similar text message. In fact, many people helped me. They supported me, and wrote wise words. We figure skaters are all a team, and we get along well with each other.

Did you manage to "escape"?

-I went back to the hotel, played on the computer…

For this competition I decided that it was better for me to stay in a hotel. I took the bus and quickly went to and from the rink. It would have taken me a long time to get home. I didn't use cars (???? not sure exactly what he's saying here, this is my very paraphrased guess!)

Overall, I played the computer and slept. By the way, on this night I slept fine, but before the SP I was exhausted. In the day I lay down, and my sleep was then interrupting itself.

What then, after the start of this competition, did you discover about yourself?

-I understood that I can pull myself together. This means, that I can do something. (??)

Is this why your exhibition number is called "Dreams Come True"?

-This is not my name, but in my case it can be said. By the way, we put together this exhibition piece in a night.

So after the free program you went to the rink?

-Yes, the ladies performed, our Zhenia Medvedeva skated, and when Daniel Gleyhengauz was free after the competition, we went to VTB arena together, where Ilya Averbukh's rehearsals take place. I am thankful that Ilya helped with the ice time. There we put together the exhibition piece.

In this program you are a great actor!

-To be honest, I'd never done anything like this before and hadn't even tried to. And when Danya proposed this idea, I didn't even want to do anything like it. In training I was very worried. With difficulty I forced myself to try. I didn't know how the skaters and audience would react to it.

It was a great, original number.

-I'm glad that it was received that way.

Adian, at the Grand Prix in Moscow you limited yourself to one quad in combination, but in order to beat your competitors, you need to increase the difficulty of your program.

-Yes, I know this myself. It's just that now, in preparation for this Grand Prix, not everything went smoothly. Many really didn't work out, therefore we limited it to one quad. In my previous event, Skate America, I jumped two quads - one in combination. Returning from Milwaukee, I started to run the program with two quads and two axels. At first, everything worked, but then it "collapsed", therefore it was necessary to make the program easier.

Why did this recession happen?

-I don't know. At first it was a small decline after the Grand Prix in America, but then I was really in the "pits". At training nothing was working in terms of technique, and emotionally, because of this I felt quite depressed. My mood was terrible. At first, somehow I still held myself together, and tried to inspire myself. But then I just couldn't. And functionally I was kind of not badly prepared. But I skated the program and fell three times. I would seem to get the quad back. But then at the next training session I jump and fall…

My mood was not there, there was trouble in my head, everything was messed up. There were so many different problems! Thanks to my coaches, they were able to get me out of this state. A week before the Grand Prix I began to slowly pull myself together.

Interesting, what kind of words did your coaches find to say to you?

-They told me a lot of things. And most importantly, I felt like they were trying to help me get out of this terrible state. And the guys have experienced it. I understood, that it is necessary to climb up.

At the start of the season you already told about your new programs. You said that Marina Zueva choerographed the FS to the soundtrack of the film "The Mission". According to you, you imagine in it the image of a missionary. Can you tell me more about it?

-Daniel Gleyhengauz put together the short program for me. We chose the music fairly quickly. Daniel proposed a few melodies, asked "Is it ok?", at some stage I answered "Yes". Then I had found my entry (my program?).

And Marina Zueva did the FS. She immediately said "This music from
the film 'The Mission' really suits you". In the story I come into the role of a missionary. I don't even have an outfit like the main character of the film. There's nothing specific about the images, about what I need to represent, nobody told me. We put together the program, they explained that I need to do it, plus add soul.

I watched the movie twice. I noticed the difference between films that were set at that time, and those that are set today. That film is very musical,, there is a lot of beautiful scenery, not much dialogue, therefore it seems that the movie is very long. Throughout the film, the main character comes up with the music. So in the program I imagine this image (not sure how to translate this).

This is your first medal at a Senior Grand Prix. Do you think that success will give you confidence?

-I think it will help. I remember how when I first won medals on the JGP, after this it was easier to skate at them.

Where else do you plan to compete, and what are your goals for the season?

-First of all, we're going to the "Challenger" in Zagreb. The goal is to skate well, because, like I showed in this stage, when I skate pretty well, then everything works out. I will try to skate the best I can.

Everyone knows that your favourite figure skater is the Canadian Patrick Chan. This season he returned to the ice. Do you want to try to compete against him with strength?

-It would be interesting for me to compete with Chan. Although I will be really conscious that it's with him, I also find it difficult to compete with Javi.

It was great to skate on the same ice as Javier in Moscow! When I beat him in the SP, I was shocked. I don't even understand what happened. People wrote to me that I was in first place, and ahead of Javi, and this somehow didn't make sense in my head. But when I saw the results, I thought "Ok". Although I was well aware that in the FS, everything would fall into its own place, because Javi has a very technically difficult program, and he has a wider range of complex elements.

Were you able to speak with Javier?

-Not really. I'm not used to approaching the other athletes and starting conversations. It's different with friends. With them I feel free. When we meet up, we sit in a cafe, then I start telling jokes so everyone falls under the table with laughter. I myself also love to laugh.

exerym

On the Ice
Wow, you did a great job! There is some corrections:
1. the "depression" the night before - it's actually not the night before, but just before the competition. He will say latelly that nothing work since SA.
2. I didn't use cars - he said "I don't have a car". I think he is a little bit obsessed with having a car))) Even if he has, he can get his license only then he turned 18.
3. This means, that I can do something. (??) - no questions mark needed here, it's exactly that he said)))))
4. I don't even have an outfit like the main character of the film - just the opposite, he's costume is like the main character outfit
5. So in the program I imagine this image (not sure how to translate this) - maybe something like "So in the program I making the character by myself"?

Thank you very much for translation!

paulusfr

On the Ice
His perfomances at Golden Spin of Zagreb.
SP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4YnM9Zq5oo
FS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whh78EZAlkw
Well, he is trying to skate a long program with two quads and two 3A's, thats a good news, though his skates this time wasn't that good from all points of view. But he is fighter, it is a good feature. So the only thing we can do now is to wait the Nats and see what will happen.

Photo "Before the medal ceremony at #GoldenSpin" https://twitter.com/adamripponru/status/672913558850678784 :)

Last edited:

Sofia

On the Ice
Congrats on bronze! Hoping that everything goes better and we get to see him on the podium again at Nationals *start praying from now on*

estla

Rinkside
So glad to see Adian fought back in FS. The 4T+1Lo<<+1S made me laugh...
BTW, what's his height do you guys guess? It looks he grows taller based on the medal ceremony photo. 176 cm, maybe?

Sofia

On the Ice
So glad to see Adian fought back in FS. The 4T+1Lo<<+1S made me laugh...
BTW, what's his height do you guys guess? It looks he grows taller based on the medal ceremony photo. 176 cm, maybe?

Looks like 174 to me, if Adam is really 172.