Football/Soccer Is The Greatest Game On Earth. | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Football/Soccer Is The Greatest Game On Earth.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Yeah! I really can't wait. :popcorn: :party2:

Well, if you want to get your football fix in the meantime, the Women’s FA Cup Final is next weekend. It is being played in Milton Keynes on Sunday 1st June, kick-off at 16:30 BST.

The team I support, Everton Ladies, are playing against the team that have dominated English Women’s football for the past decade, Arsenal Ladies.

That said, Arsenal haven’t had it their own way this past season. In the 2013 Women’s Super League, they only finished third, behind champions Bristol Academy and 2nd place Liverpool.

Admittedly Arsenal were deducted 3 points for bringing on Katie Chapman as a substitute when she wasn’t properly registered. But, those 3 points would only have put Arsenal above Liverpool. They wouldn’t have been enough to catch Bristol.

On the other hand, Arsenal did win the Women’s FA Cup (beating Bristol Academy) and the WSL Cup (beating Lincoln Ladies).

But, since the end of the 2013 season, there has been a real exodus of players from Arsenal. I think we were told on the WSL Review Show that Arsenal have lost EIGHT of their first-11 over the winter.

A lot of the players that have left Arsenal have gone to Manchester City, who were entering the WSL for the first time in 2013. Man City Ladies were now fully affiliated with the Men’s team, and so had access to a lot more money than they ever had before. So they could go after and try to bag the best players they could. And where better to find them than in the team that has been so successful in recent years – Arsenal.

Arsenal are now a team in transition. It takes a while to integrate new players into any team, but it is even more difficult when there are so many new players. And the result is that Arsenal are currently BOTTOM of the table in WSL1, with only 1 point from 3 games.

This could be an opportunity for Everton to get some well-needed silverware. Although they finished 3rd in the WSL in 2012, quite a few of their top players left at the end of that season. Most went to Liverpool, who were on a spending spree after the ignominy of finishing bottom of the table in 2012. The result was that Liverpool won the WSL in 2013, while Everton dropped to 5th.

At the end of the 2013 season, more of Everton’s top players left. Their last 2 regular players in the England international team (Jill Scott and Toni Duggan) both left, and signed for... Manchester City.

The result of all these top signings is that Man City are currently 2nd in the WSL, with 6 points – 1 point behind leaders Birmingham City (Man City have won 2 out of 4 games, while Birmingham have played 3 games, winning 2 and drawing the other).

The result of losing so many of their top players in a short space of time is that Everton are currently only one place above Arsenal in WSL1, with 2 points from 4 games.

So, the Women’s FA Cup Final could be anybody’s game.

Oh, and in case you are wondering, I don’t have any deep-rooted reasons to support Everton. The only reason I support Everton rather than any other English Women’s team is that a friend of mine plays for them: Simone Magill (from Magherafelt, 10 miles up the road from me).

COME ON YOU BLUE GIRLS!!!!

CaroLiza_fan

Alba

Record Breaker

I really don't like it. :disapp: For me the best world cup song is Italia 90, the italian version.
Who's going to sing this song in Brasil, Shakira again or Lopez?

Well, if you want to get your football fix in the meantime, the Women’s FA Cup Final is next weekend. It is being played in Milton Keynes on Sunday 1st June, kick-off at 16:30 BST.

I don't follow women's football. I tried but I don't like it. :slink:

LRK

Record Breaker
Hmmm... not convinced. But then, I don't really like hip hop... (shrug)

BusyMom

Medalist
I really don't like it. :disapp: For me the best world cup song is Italia 90, the italian version.
Who's going to sing this song in Brasil, Shakira again or Lopez?
The official song is Pitbull's but Shakira has been parts of World Cup since 2006.

The best song ever is Ricky Martin's Cup of Life. :popcorn:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BkYKwHLXiU

He also got the official song for this years too. I guess one song isn't enough for Brazilians. http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNpY5DI8KO-ROA2BxgGWrXg

LRK

Record Breaker
Yes, I like the Cup of Life - it has what I think a football song should have: rhythm and drive.

Alba

Record Breaker
He also got the official song for this years too. I guess one song isn't enough for Brazilians. http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNpY5DI8KO-ROA2BxgGWrXg

It happened in Germany too. The World Cup 2006 had the official song and than Shakira as well.
She is becoming a bit boring with this thing.

Hmmm... not convinced. But then, I don't really like hip hop... (shrug)

I don't like hip hop either, and I also don't find it very "Brazilian".

BusyMom

Medalist

Will be on BBC2 right? I don't have a preference in both teams. Not much going on in women football right now since it is a mid season break. The big game definitely keep people interested. I'm not a big fan of women football until recently. LFC's media coordinators have been very active with the social media especially in their women team. I think the American owner have a very big part in the big spending spree. John W. Henry is the owner of Boston Globe and the Red Sox anyway. He makes money both way with the investment since women soccer is very big market in the US too.

The Stadium MK is the thing that interested me with this game. It is one of the new stadium but not that big. It will be one of the host for next year Rugby World Cup. I went to university in Buck County and stayed longer while worked in London. MK was a big part of living in that area. Back then locals were so excited to have the Dons. The new sport venue would be great for local economics. They had been relied only on Silverstone Circuit for far too long.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Will be on BBC2 right? I don't have a preference in both teams. Not much going on in women football right now since it is a mid season break. The big game definitely keep people interested. I'm not a big fan of women football until recently. LFC's media coordinators have been very active with the social media especially in their women team. I think the American owner have a very big part in the big spending spree. John W. Henry is the owner of Boston Globe and the Red Sox anyway. He makes money both way with the investment since women soccer is very big market in the US too.

The Stadium MK is the thing that interested me with this game. It is one of the new stadium but not that big. It will be one of the host for next year Rugby World Cup. I went to university in Buck County and stayed longer while worked in London. MK was a big part of living in that area. Back then locals were so excited to have the Dons. The new sport venue would be great for local economics. They had been relied only on Silverstone Circuit for far too long.

Yep, it's on BBC2, from 16:15 - 19:00 BST. I was surprised there, because I was expecting BT Sport to be showing it, given that they are covering the WSL.

Incidentally, the BBC will be doing a preview of the Final on tonight's Women's Football Show. It will be on BBC3 from 19:00 - 19:30 BST, i.e. IN 15 MINUTES TIME.

I had to laugh when you said that the Stadium MK is not that big. Well, I suppose by English standards 30,500 is small. But our NATIONAL stadium, Windsor Park, only holds 12,500 at the moment. :eek:

Admittedly, it is due to be enlarged soon, but even then it will only be 18,000. Personally, I think we are missing an opportunity to build something to be proud of. Yes, Windsor Park is situated in a residential area, and the streets around it are very narrow. But, by only increasing the capacity by 5,000, I can see it being too small again in 10 years time.

But, Woman's football doesn't use Windsor (at least not at the moment), so it will only affect the Men!

CaroLiza_fan

BusyMom

Medalist
I had to laugh when you said that the Stadium MK is not that big. Well, I suppose by English standards 30,500 is small. But our NATIONAL stadium, Windsor Park, only holds 12,500 at the moment. :eek:

Admittedly, it is due to be enlarged soon, but even then it will only be 18,000. Personally, I think we are missing an opportunity to build something to be proud of. Yes, Windsor Park is situated in a residential area, and the streets around it are very narrow. But, by only increasing the capacity by 5,000, I can see it being too small again in 10 years time.
I thought Windsor Park already had the extension. Guess it was just a rumour. A long time ago the English fans made a fuzz about its capacity because the English team lost one of their games to Northern Ireland. :rolleye:

Ironically, you got one of the best football player in the history. I might be the Liverpool's hardcore but still think George Best was the best.

Outside football your country also had Alex Higgins who happened to be my favourite too. My country might be the only other country outside the UK that snooker is very popular.

Alba

Record Breaker
Qatar World Cup: '£3m payments to officials' corruption claim

Fifa is facing fresh allegations of corruption over its controversial decision to award the 2022 World Cup to Qatar.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27652181

:popcorn:

Sepp Blatter: awarding 2022 World Cup to Qatar was a mistake
• Fifa President has concerns over extreme heat in Gulf state
• 'Technical report indicated clearly that it was too hot in summer'

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/16/sepp-blatter-qatar-2022-world-cup-mistake

Technical report indicated clearly that it was too hot in summer? What a genius ! :rolleye: I could've told him that. :laugh:

What a little piece of work this man is. :bang: Cinquanta is a piece of cake compared ot Blatter. :frown:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Damn, I quit watching champion league after a series of fixing scores. Now it's turn to World Cup again? Actually if any country has enough money and is eager to hold the world cup, let them have it. But Qatar might be too hot. I am not sure our players have enough sane to perform their best in such weather.

FIFA surely is rotten to the core.

Alba

Record Breaker
Actually if any country has enough money and is eager to hold the world cup, let them have it. But Qatar might be too hot. I am not sure our players have enough sane to perform their best in such weather.

I would agree with you but there are many problems with Qatar.

1. It's too hot. They've said that Qatar is going to build stadiums with air-conditioning, so with the roof :)disapp:) but there is still the problem with the players when outside the stadium, training etc.

2. Women fans.

"The campaign's dress code diagram shows that shoulders to the knees should be covered. Women are not allowed to wear short dresses, sleeveless clothing and crop tops.
Shorts and vest tops revealing the chest are banned for men visiting Qatar, the diagram shows."

http://www.onislam.net/english/news/middle-east/473013-qatar-urges-visitors-to-dress-modestly.html

With that heat, I'm curious to see the Brazilian women. :laugh:

3. Gay.

Well, Russia is nothing in comparison to Qatar. You face prison, it's a criminal offense.

"In a move that is being widely criticized by international Human Rights Groups, members of the Gulf Cooperation Countries – Bahrain, Kuwait, Qatar, Oman, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates – are working on a test that they argue can detect a person’s sexuality. If all goes according to plan, these six nations will then ban the entry of gay people if the tests return positive for homosexuality."
http://lgbtweekly.com/2013/10/08/gu...-then-ban-gays-from-entering-their-countries/

:jaw:

Also no drinking. I know it's the least of their problems but for many is a huge deal. So Qatar? A big NOOOOOOOO!

FIFA surely is rotten to the core.

Has always been. Platini is not better either, and yet I still love football. I can't help it, I'm a fan. :slink::biggrin:

Alba

Record Breaker
Is there any chance they withdrew from Qatar? :unsure:

I really don't know, but I'm afraid they will not.

Blatter said that "it was now "probable" that it would be played in the winter rather than the summer due to the heat."

It will be a complete mess with all the matches of Champions League, Europa League, and the various national leagues. :rolleye:

However, since Qatar was chosen thanks to Platini and German fed (Blatter wanted USA) - which influenced the other European executive committee members to vote for Qatar - I'm sure Platini will find a (idiotic) way to deal with it. :no:

BusyMom

Medalist
The English and German national teams already have a regular training camps in Dubai. At least the England Youth team plays against the middle east very often, the last one was a few weeks ago with British TV coverage. The money plays the big part here not just for FIFA but for European FA too.

Also no drinking. I know it's the least of their problems but for many is a huge deal. So Qatar? A big NOOOOOOOO!
This actually is a biggest problem for many European fans. For sure some Brits would skip the games just for that reason alone. :laugh:

Alba

Record Breaker
The money plays the big part here not just for FIFA but for European FA too.

Absolutely. If Platini went for Qatar, as it seems, no doubt the Europeans went for it too. I would've loved to see the WC in England.
Best fans in the world. Absolutely "crazy" and I adore them. :biggrin:

This actually is a biggest problem for many European fans. For sure some Brits would skip the games just for that reason alone. :laugh:

I don't blame them really. :laugh: I can't watch a game myself without a beer, and I'm a whine lover.
If I'm not mistaken they have changed the rule in Brazil, about drinking in the stadium, just for the world cup. :laugh::thumbsup:

BusyMom

Medalist
Absolutely. If Platini went for Qatar, as it seems, no doubt the Europeans went for it too. I would've loved to see the WC in England.
Best fans in the world. Absolutely "crazy" and I adore them. :biggrin:

I don't blame them really. :laugh: I can't watch a game myself without a beer, and I'm a whine lover.
If I'm not mistaken they have changed the rule in Brazil, about drinking in the stadium, just for the world cup. :laugh::thumbsup:
I was there during the Euro96. Went to all England and Spain games (my best friends are Spanish so they got all their team tickets for us). Yes..it as ABSULUTELY crazy.

Can you imagine watching football with soda drink in hand? :slink:

LRK

Record Breaker
I don't know about all the rest - but I find it absolutely hilarious about the heat. I mean, that was the FIRST thing I thought of when I heard it was going to be held in Qatar. So, they were like:

"Woohoo! Qatar! Yay!"

A while later.

"Er... isn't it a bit warm there?" - "It is?" - "I suppose maybe it is a bit at that... " - "OMG! It's going to be hot! What are we going to do?!"

So whether they are corrupt or no - it's pretty clear these guys are no geniuses. ;)

And hey, people, it's perfectly possible to be a teetotaller and watch football! Though my beverage of choice is tea... This is of course in the comfort of my own home, as my going to a football match would be pretty pointless... ;) (I'd be able to see... nothing.)