Football/Soccer Is The Greatest Game On Earth. | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Football/Soccer Is The Greatest Game On Earth.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Man, if they are going to build a stadium with air-con, the cost is gonna be huge. :unsure:

BusyMom

Medalist
3 hours ago, Steven Gerrard, Liverpool and England team captain, launched his official Instagram account. I went on to follow him. He had a bit more than 200+ followers. Now after 3hours he has over 200k. Talking about popularity of sports. :eek:

And hey, people, it's perfectly possible to be a teetotaller and watch football! Though my beverage of choice is tea... This is of course in the comfort of my own home, as my going to a football match would be pretty pointless... ;) (I'd be able to see... nothing.)

You don't really need to be at the stadium to enjoy the games. Your dedication is admirable. I even need to cut down my reading now because my eyesight.

And heh...at least the foam cup is less dangerous than the water bottle. :biggrin:

Meoima

Match Penalty
3 hours ago, Steven Gerrard, Liverpool and England team captain, launched his official Instagram account. I went on to follow him. He had a bit more than 200+ followers. Now after 3hours he has over 200k. Talking about popularity of sports. :eek:
And England team is not the strongest. I wonder how about German, Italia and Spain's captain. And Porturgal, then Brazil?

LRK

Record Breaker
They may not have the strongest team, but I think they're probably very popular, nonetheless. The impression I've got, is that in the British media the team is always worldbeaters - until they lose, and then they are miserable failures. And then people wonder why they are so tense when they play for England, and not at all as in the league matches.... Poor fellows! (If my impressions are correct, that is.) Anyway, even though they aren't my most favourite team (that's Spain), I've always had a soft spot for England - and probably always will. (Unless they turn into post-Zidane France... By the way, have they got their act together yet or not?)

Meoima

Match Penalty
I love Spain and Italia. I have the utmost respect for Germans since 2002 lol.

LRK

Record Breaker
I've become newly fond of the Germans. They used to be as well-oiled as a machine - and as exciting. Now they are actually dynamic - and... fun. That's as unnatural as a defensively weak Italy.... ;)

Meoima

Match Penalty
I've become newly fond of the Germans. They used to be as well-oiled as a machine - and as exciting. Now they are actually dynamic - and... fun. That's as unnatural as a defensively weak Italy.... ;)
Well, I root for them because they pulled through that scandal in 2002. I hope they will do well. As for Spain and Italia, they both have been the world champion recently so let's spare other teams' chance. :laugh: but if they all do well, I will be very happy.

BusyMom

Medalist
They may not have the strongest team, but I think they're probably very popular, nonetheless. The impression I've got, is that in the British media the team is always worldbeaters - until they lose, and then they are miserable failures. And then people wonder why they are so tense when they play for England, and not at all as in the league matches.... Poor fellows! (If my impressions are correct, that is.) Anyway, even though they aren't my most favourite team (that's Spain), I've always had a soft spot for England - and probably always will. (Unless they turn into post-Zidane France... By the way, have they got their act together yet or not?)
We talk about popularity here not the strong team. England never has been the strong team in the last 2 decades. Not for WC not for Euro. They missed qualified stages more time than any one would liked.

But the premiere league is the most popular football league in the world. Their televised has the most viewers, the most expensive fees and gains most incomes. In most top-ten list of popular teams, at least 4 England team is on (Man.U, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea). In some might have Man. City). Brazilians national team is always popular but not the league teams (in the globalized level) since most of the stars players play for European teams.

German football both national and league are the most strategic teams. They always finished in the top 4 in most tournaments. But not so much popularity. I'm not quite sure how many people knows who Philipp Lahm is outside the football circle. He is the Bayern and National team captain. To answer Meoima's question, his instagram has 175 followers.

If you talk about the best national team, England is and always has been a weakest link. But many fans, including me of course, still support them no matter what.

BusyMom

Medalist
@LRK I still can't believe the fact that we're not going to see Ibrahimovic in the WC. :cry:

LRK

Record Breaker
@LRK I still can't believe the fact that we're not going to see Ibrahimovic in the WC. :cry:

I know, that's weird, isn't it? I've a funny confession to make - I've been so totally out of the loop that I had no idea Sweden hadn''t qualified until quite recently! No, really!:laugh:

Another confession - I won't miss Sweden, really, as I'm not particularly enamoured of their way of playing. However, I will miss Zlatan! Here's a Zlatan tribute song:

https://myspace.com/pazzazlatan/music/songs

(The Youtube version was horribly choppy.)

ETA - Another thing I didn't know, until I happened to see it on Eurogoals (I think - at any rate, Eurosport) was that he's playing in Paris now? My goodness, is his goal to play in every major league in Europe? If so, what next? The Premier League? Just curious. :)

BusyMom

Medalist
^^ Thanks for the link. That's so cool. I have no idea what his name actually means but in my language slatan means Tornado. LOL.

He has been PSG players for a few years now. I think he is the top scorer of this season (not sure?)and also player of the year for second consecutive years. He seems to make a wave anywhere he goes. And yes he should move to EPL next.

I got it when you talk about Swedish National. Zlatan is my last link to Swedish team too. That's a bit weird because I was a big fan at some point in the past. With a name like Brolin, Larsson and Andersson, Your national team was very exciting to watch. I also had big crush on Ljungberg too. :biggrin:

LRK

Record Breaker
I shouldn't go on a rant, so I'll try to keep it short, but... To me it feels as if they are playing not to lose, rather than to win. The Swedish public is quite prepared to recognise Zlatan as a star - why, they clamoured for him to be put into the team way earlier than he was (this was when he was an up-and-comer) - but somehow, the mentality of the Powers That Be, is that being a "Star" is terribly... unSwedish somehow. "Oh, no, we don't have stars! We're a team!" - many of the journalists & analysts are the same. And then when come the match when Sweden finally loses - surprise, surprise - they say "Oh, I'm a bit disappointed in Zlatan... I don't feel he did as much as he could have. I don't know why he seems better in his league matches." (This was last Euros when he was playing in the Italian league - forgot which team.) "No, really?!" thinks I to myself. "You don't say? Could it be that he is surrounded by better players, and therefore doesn't have to do as much to get the ball in the first place? Just a stab-in-the-dark out-on-a-limb wild guess... " Then suddenly the onus is on Zlatan - the not-our-star-because-we're-all-a-team? All right, so maybe this was a mini-rant after all, but it does... irk me when people don't see the blindingly obvious. ;)

By the way, Henke Larsson has done some pre-after-the-game analasys on Swedish TV, and I've enjoyed him whenever he's been on. I hope they get him again this year. :) (Another confession? I don't even know which channel/s will be showing this! Yes, I'm hopeless... ;) )

ETA - I don't know what "Zlatan" means either - but "tornado" certainly feels quite apt! Thanks for sharing. :)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I thought Windsor Park already had the extension. Guess it was just a rumour. A long time ago the English fans made a fuzz about its capacity because the English team lost one of their games to Northern Ireland. :rolleye:

I don’t think they had an extension done before. But, it took the guts of 10 years for Linfield, the IFA, the politicians, and the planning service to finally come to an agreement on a plan for the stadium. So, it would not be unreasonable for somebody who is outside Northern Ireland to assume that it had got done sooner! ;)

The work on the redevelopment started a couple of weeks ago. As part of the work, the leisure centre next door is going to be demolished, and built into the West stand.

Ironically, you got one of the best football player in the history. I might be the Liverpool's hardcore but still think George Best was the best.

Outside football your country also had Alex Higgins who happened to be my favourite too. My country might be the only other country outside the UK that snooker is very popular.

Thank you for your kind words about George and Alex. Although I am too young to have actually seen either of them play at their peak, I am totally in awe of the skills both of them possessed. It is such a pity that both these great men ultimately died as a result of their wild lifestyle.

I may not have been the biggest football fan in the world, but I did tend to support Manchester United when I was growing up.

By the way, did you know that George Best did a TV advert for the bacon factory in my hometown? Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLUMw2WahY4

Unfortunately, we haven’t had any big football stars for a long time. David Healey was probably the closest we got in recent years, but his career kinda fizzled out when he was no longer being coached by Lawrie Sanchez. (Biggest mistake the IFA ever made, letting Lawrie go…)

As for Alex, I am a massive snooker fan, and he was the most enjoyable player to watch from his era. The things he could do on the baize were unbelievable!

Although today's players tend to be flamboyant, they do not have the same personality as Alex did. He was a real crowd pleaser, although (like so many people from my part of the world), he was very volatile. Like, remember the time he got banned for threatening Dennis Taylor?

Incidentally, Dennis Taylor is the most local snooker player to me. Dennis himself is from Coalisland (10 miles from me), but his Dad was from my hometown. And my Granny has relatives that are Taylors, so who knows, we might be related…!

We still have a few good snooker players (Mark Allen, Joe Swail, Gerard Greene, Patrick Wallace), but although Mark is one of the top 10 players now, I think you have overtaken us. There are so many promising young Thai players regularly playing in the PTC’s nowadays. It is only a matter of time before one of them breaks into the top 32. And although he may be slipping down the rankings, James Wattana is still a joy to watch.

But, back to the football match I was talking about. Unfortunately, Everton lost 2-0 to Arsenal. Arsenal scored a goal 15 minutes into each half, and Everton were not able to reply.

In the first half, both teams were well matched. It was only a superb free kick from Kelly Smith that was able to break the balance. Rachel Brown hadn't a hope of saving it, as Arsenal's Casey Stoney had positioned herself in the Everton wall to completely block Rachel's view of Kelly.

After the break, Arsenal totally dominated the first 20 minutes or so of the second half, culminating in a goal for Japan's Yukari Kinga on the 60 minute mark.

Then, 10 minutes later, Everton (finally!) brought on Simone Magill. And there was a noticeable improvement in Everton's play immediately.

I'm not saying it was because Simone was brought on, because she hardly got a touch of the ball! But, I think bringing a new player onto the pitch had a psychological affect on the other Everton girls, and made them play better. It only lasted for about 10 minutes or so, because Arsenal got the upper hand again in the closing minutes of the game.

Although I’m obviously disappointed that Simone didn’t get her hands on some silverware, I am in a way pleased that Arsenal won the FA Cup.

Going into the Final, Arsenal were on a 7 match run without a win. That is not good thing, especially when you consider that this is the team that has dominated the women’s game in England over the past decade. And it was this streak that led Shelley Kerr to announce last Monday that she would be resigning as team manager after the Final.

So, it was good that Shelley was able to go out on a high, rather than be remembered for a bad run.

As I side note, every time I see Shelley, I think “boys, she is the picture of John Kerr!” (Although, curiously, I’ve never thought that she looked like Sinead…)

So, nosiness just got the better of me, and I looked up whereabouts in Scotland Shelley is from. And, as it turns out, Shelley is from THE SAME VILLAGE in West Lothian as Sinead and John.

To me, this is too much of a coincidence. They MUST be related. So, does anybody know how closely? (Personally, I reckon Shelley has to be their big sister)

CaroLiza_fan

borzaya

Final Flight
^^ Thanks for the link. That's so cool. I have no idea what his name actually means but in my language slatan means Tornado. LOL.
Zlatan means "golden" in Bosnian (as well as in many other Slavic languages).

Alba

Record Breaker
We talk about popularity here not the strong team. England never has been the strong team in the last 2 decades. Not for WC not for Euro. They missed qualified stages more time than any one would liked.

But the premiere league is the most popular football league in the world. Their televised has the most viewers, the most expensive fees and gains most incomes. In most top-ten list of popular teams, at least 4 England team is on (Man.U, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea). In some might have Man. City). Brazilians national team is always popular but not the league teams (in the globalized level) since most of the stars players play for European teams.

German football both national and league are the most strategic teams. They always finished in the top 4 in most tournaments. But not so much popularity. I'm not quite sure how many people knows who Philipp Lahm is outside the football circle. He is the Bayern and National team captain. To answer Meoima's question, his instagram has 175 followers.

If you talk about the best national team, England is and always has been a weakest link. But many fans, including me of course, still support them no matter what.

Actually England has a very good chance to beat Italy this time. We're ****. :disapp: :laugh:

Germany is a very good team, has been for a while now. One of the best in team in fact, together with Argentina I would say.
However, Germany seems to have lost their strong character, if I may use this word, that they used to have.
I also don't think their coach, Löw, is what they need.

France has a good team, with plenty of talents. They are a headcase though, you never know which team will show up.

LRK

Record Breaker
Zlatan means "golden" in Bosnian (as well as in many other Slavic languages).

Thank you, that's great to know! :) (I just love how international our forum is, and the varied into one can get as a result.)

BusyMom

Medalist
Thank you, that's great to know! :) (I just love how international our forum is, and the varied into one can get as a result.)
:agree:

Actually England has a very good chance to beat Italy this time. We're ****. :disapp: :laugh:
Don't worry England always coming in like a candidate but ends up tripping their own studs. :mad: How's Uruguay this time around anyway?

Alba

Record Breaker
:agree:

Don't worry England always coming in like a candidate but ends up tripping their own studs. :mad: How's Uruguay this time around anyway?

It will depend a lot from Suarez, I know he has not been good lately, physically, but he is good. There is Cavani also and they are organized and tough. I think they're gonna be first in the group.
Hey, we never know though. Everything can happen in football. :think:

borzaya

Final Flight
It will depend a lot from Suarez, I know he has not been good lately, physically, but he is good. There is Cavani also and they are organized and tough. I think they're gonna be first in the group.
Hey, we never know though. Everything can happen in football. :think:
It's great, that Suarez has got better, and is able to play. I like this footballer, though he is crazy. :laugh: