Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What happens to Gracie Gold if she doesn't win any Grand Prix events next season?

Hybrid View

On the Ice

What happens to Gracie Gold if she doesn't win any Grand Prix events next season?

Recently on TSL's recap of the World Championships, Dave Lease asserted that Gracie has to start winning some Grand Prix events next season or else she's most likely finished as real threat over the course of the next quad. Do you guys agree? Based on how she performed at Worlds, I think she has to prove that she can keep her nerves under control consistently. She's still quite young...but I sort of think that if she doesn't have a great next season, she could very possibly fall apart emotionally. It seems like mental toughness will be the most important thing for Gracie going forward...

Custom Title
    Yeah, I have to agree that she needs to win some international competitions such as Grand Prix events. Sasha Cohen and even Alissa Czisny have some Grand Prix golds under their respective belts. Have we had any other American ladies do that in recent years? It would be great if Gracie, or Ashley for that matter, could achieve that in the coming season. If they don't, then I don't hold out that much hope for them to make an impact outside the U.S.

Custard Title
    Gracie has a grace period of one more year (possibly 2 or more if no US ladies rise to challenge her) before she might lose favor with the judges. I think she can do it if she doesn't have something ridiculous like two events with Lipnitskaya. There's not a big rush IMO.

Banned
    I think next season will be her complete senior breakthrough
    finishing an impressive 4th place at the Olympics

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    I wouldn't worry to much about Gracie. She has a bright future ahead of her and and even if the Russians ARE coming. It's nothing new to her. She's been dealing with it ever since juniors. If Gracie goes clean at SA she will beat anyone! She can get to GPF and that would be huge to medal there!!!

Custard Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    I wouldn't worry to much about Gracie. She has a bright future ahead of her and and even if the Russians ARE coming. It's nothing new to her. She's been dealing with it ever since juniors. If Gracie goes clean at SA she will beat anyone!
    She would not beat Adelina Sotnikova if they were both at Skate America. Adelina has a clean 3Lutz-3Toe and Level 4 steps with +3 GOE. She has a soon-to-be-unveiled quad toe. She has beautiful artistry, a thousand transitions, and immaculate skating skills, all the ingredients necessary to earn 75 PCS. She is the Zamboni Who Will Ice the World. If she competes at Gracie, Skate America will have no chance.

umm...
    We'll see. I wish her only the best, but I really think she only have chance to win at Skate America. Next quad is gonna be heavily dominated by russian girls. But with Mao, Yuna and Caro retiring, Gracie have chance to medal at almost every competition.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    I think next season will be her complete senior breakthrough
    finishing an impressive 4th place at the Olympics
    Wasnt Mirai fourth in 2010. It means nothing if she cannot come to the table next year...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by emdee View Post
    Wasnt Mirai fourth in 2010. It means nothing if she cannot come to the table next year...
    so ? Mirai had terrible technique and she always had underrotations, was 16 and had filled out and gained alot since
    Gracie has solid technique, has speed, power, fast spins and great 3-3 jumps that is what the CoP is all about

I got your program components right here. Pepe Nero's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    and even Alissa Czisny
    And even Alissa Czisny. Oh, Olympia!

Well, gosh, of course GG has to win some GP events next season to gain the respect of judges necessary to earn the highest possible GOEs on her elements and (imo, undeserved) PCS. About a 7 average on PCS is generous for a clean skate by GG.

But of course she will make the GPF next season. If she doesn't average two second place placements, I'd be surprised.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper View Post
    sky_fly20 will stop joining her bandwagon... and throw her under the bus..

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Yeah, I have to agree that she needs to win some international competitions such as Grand Prix events. Sasha Cohen and even Alissa Czisny have some Grand Prix golds under their respective belts. Have we had any other American ladies do that in recent years? It would be great if Gracie, or Ashley for that matter, could achieve that in the coming season. If they don't, then I don't hold out that much hope for them to make an impact outside the U.S.
    Actually, Ashley Wagner has won 3 GP golds (along with many silvers and bronzes, including at the GPF). She also has a 4CC gold.

And if Gracie doesn't win any GP events, it's not the end of the world. Plenty of skaters peaked later on in their careers (Kostner and Wagner come to mind).

Custom Title
    Agree with this. It isn't important to peak at the beginning of the season. Kostner rarely skated well in the GP, and in fact skated rather poorly early on. But by Euros, she began to hit her stride and was ready to peak at Worlds. This season, she reached her peak at Sochi and was clearly off her best at Worlds. Sotnikova had a rough early season this past year, struggling through the GP, making the GPF but bombing there. She then won Nationals and Euros before her OGM at Sochi.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Agree with this. It isn't important to peak at the beginning of the season. Kostner rarely skated well in the GP, and in fact skated rather poorly early on. But by Euros, she began to hit her stride and was ready to peak at Worlds. This season, she reached her peak at Sochi and was clearly off her best at Worlds. Sotnikova had a rough early season this past year, struggling through the GP, making the GPF but bombing there. She then won Nationals and Euros before her OGM at Sochi.
    OBM. But arguably should have been an OGM, and it was certainly the skates of a lifetime for her.

Gold's issue is her FS. That's where she needs to put her focus (literally and figuratively). I don't think it matters what point in the season it is.

Banned
    Gracie's breakout year could be next season or before 2016 Worlds
    where she will be the leading gold contender in home crowd

once Gracie starts winning gold medals, there will be no stopping her from there
    her PCS will skyrocket even further, higher than Julia etc. on par with Mao and Carolina's PCS

Medalist
    I'll be honest, Gracie wasn't on my radar until Nationals this year. I don't know anything about her beyond Nationals, Sochi and Worlds but looking at her skills and on paper, I think she's easily #1 for the US for the next quad. She's very neat and tidy on technique, she spins very well and she can work on bigger PCS #s. 4th in Sochi, 4th in the world... she's headed in the right direction! Even if she doesn't win GP gold, I think she can definitely medal and qualify for the final.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast