What happens to Gracie Gold if she doesn't win any Grand Prix events next season? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What happens to Gracie Gold if she doesn't win any Grand Prix events next season?

Alba

Record Breaker
It took four years for Carolina Kostner to win her first Grand Prix event, and no one wrote her off as a complete failure.

Yes but Carolina was skating for Italy. They had no other skater good enough, so she was " allowed" to fall, again and again, and still compete.

concorde

Medalist
I think this is Gracie's year to shine as the top US lady. For her sake, I hope she medals during her GP events.

I expect that by 2016, Polina will have surpassed Gracie as the top US lady.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
She's been the "next big thing" for 2 seasons now--it's time she becomes the actual big thing. I think it might be problematic to her reputation if she doesn't step it up after the new retirements. Hopefully Frank will do his magic. We'll see.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I mean honestly I only kind of understand this thread. If she wins no GP's, nothing happens to her. Her parents and USAFSA envelopes keep funding her and she keeps skating. She is still top 2 at Nationals. I dont' see anything changing unless someone rises up to challenge her, and I don't see that happening, at least next year. Would be happy to be proven wrong:), though

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Again, a reminder that SOTNIKOVA was "the next big thing" in Russia for 3 seasons without ever winning a GP event.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
Again, a reminder that SOTNIKOVA was "the next big thing" in Russia for 3 seasons without ever winning a GP event.

Didn't she have some Euro medals though? I don't think this is exclusive to GP events, but Gracie needs to start medaling at international competitions. 4CC, GP's, whatever. Otherwise she might not hang onto her #1 spot nationally, especially if Ashley keeps winning/medaling at GP's (she got a gold and a silver last year) and doing well at the GPF (bronze last year, silver the year before).

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Didn't she have some Euro medals though? I don't think this is exclusive to GP events, but Gracie needs to start medaling at international competitions. 4CC, GP's, whatever. Otherwise she might not hang onto her #1 spot nationally, especially if Ashley keeps winning/medaling at GP's (she got a gold and a silver last year) and doing well at the GPF (bronze last year, silver the year before).

She has 2 silver medals from 2013/14 Euros. She also has 6 Grand Prix medals 3 silver and 3 bronze. Not a bad competitive record.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Chuckm, this is (more or less) what's called an "ad hominem" argument. Instead of challenging the claim made (that she successfully completed the jumps), you attack the credibility of the people who said so. Just refer to the video, chuckm, and say whether you think she made the rotations or not. If you cannot do this, well, cease commenting.

I actually did the research on Adelina's lutzes, which included her three years in the GP, her Euros in 2013 and 2014, and Worlds 2013 and WTT 2013, and the historical results were that Adelina attempted 17 lutzes of which 14 were deemed flutzes by the various technical panels, and only 3 passed muster. ALL of her lutzes at Euros, Worlds and WTT were called flutzes. Of course, if you add the Olympic statistic to the batch, that makes her 4 for 18.

Past history shows that the vast majority of the time, Adelina does not have a correct lutz. It may also be that in some instances tech panels ignore her error.

The poster in question claimed that Adelina has a clean lutz when clearly she does not, and gave that as evidence that Adelina would trounce Gracie Gold (who, btw DOES have a clean lutz) should they meet at Skate America.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I think the situation is tougher for Gracie next year. We will have Liza back, not sure if she can make it but this girl certainly has some big tricks, Radionova will be old enough for senior. Lots of crazy talents from Russia. At least I hope she can medal at 4CC and Skate America, Skate Canada.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She has 2 silver medals from 2013/14 Euros. She also has 6 Grand Prix medals 3 silver and 3 bronze. Not a bad competitive record.

Gracie has silver and bronze GP medals. She hasn't had the benefit of a full season in the JGP at age 14, plus 3 seasons in the GP as Sotnikova has had.

It's a lot easier for the Russian girls to win Euros medals because with Korpi injured, their only real competition is Kostner, and they don't have to travel very far for the competition. It's harder for the US girls at 4CC against the Japanese, and they have to deal with jet lag with most of the competitions in Asia. What makes it even harder is that 4CC is usually scheduled little more than a week after US Nationals.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The poster in question claimed that Adelina has a clean lutz when clearly she does not, and gave that as evidence that Adelina would trounce Gracie Gold (who, btw DOES have a clean lutz) should they meet at Skate America.

I'm pretty sure it was a sarcastic post. I do appreciate the research:)

Meoima

Match Penalty
Gracie has silver and bronze GP medals. She hasn't had the benefit of a full season in the JGP at age 14, plus 3 seasons in the GP as Sotnikova has had.

It's a lot easier for the Russian girls to win Euros medals because with Korpi injured, their only real competition is Kostner, and they don't have to travel very far for the competition. It's harder for the US girls at 4CC against the Japanese, and they have to deal with jet lag with most of the competitions in Asia. What makes it even harder is that 4CC is usually scheduled little more than a week after US Nationals.

But Japanese ladies next year will be without Mao and Akiko. Asian ladies at the moment is in the transition phase. I think Gracie still has some chances in 4CC.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think the situation is tougher for Gracie next year. We will have Liza back, not sure if she can make it but this girl certainly has some big tricks, Radionova will be old enough for senior. Lots of crazy talents from Russia. At least I hope she can medal at 4CC and Skate America, Skate Canada.

Gracie is the #3 seed and will get SA (as the host pick) plus whatever event Yulia and Anna don't want. If one of them wants Skate Canada, Gracie won't be there.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
sky_fly20 will stop joining her bandwagon... and throw her under the bus..

:laugh: :popcorn:

Yeah, I have to agree that she needs to win some international competitions such as Grand Prix events. Sasha Cohen and even Alissa Czisny have some Grand Prix golds under their respective belts. Have we had any other American ladies do that in recent years? It would be great if Gracie, or Ashley for that matter, could achieve that in the coming season. If they don't, then I don't hold out that much hope for them to make an impact outside the U.S.

Actually, Ashley Wagner has won 3 GP golds (along with many silvers and bronzes, including at the GPF). She also has a 4CC gold.

And if Gracie doesn't win any GP events, it's not the end of the world. Plenty of skaters peaked later on in their careers (Kostner and Wagner come to mind).

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Agree with this. It isn't important to peak at the beginning of the season. Kostner rarely skated well in the GP, and in fact skated rather poorly early on. But by Euros, she began to hit her stride and was ready to peak at Worlds. This season, she reached her peak at Sochi and was clearly off her best at Worlds. Sotnikova had a rough early season this past year, struggling through the GP, making the GPF but bombing there. She then won Nationals and Euros before her OGM at Sochi.