What happens to Gracie Gold if she doesn't win any Grand Prix events next season? | Golden Skate

What happens to Gracie Gold if she doesn't win any Grand Prix events next season?

gettinglow

Match Penalty
What happens to Gracie Gold if she doesn't win any Grand Prix events next season?

Recently on TSL's recap of the World Championships, Dave Lease asserted that Gracie has to start winning some Grand Prix events next season or else she's most likely finished as real threat over the course of the next quad. Do you guys agree? Based on how she performed at Worlds, I think she has to prove that she can keep her nerves under control consistently. She's still quite young...but I sort of think that if she doesn't have a great next season, she could very possibly fall apart emotionally. It seems like mental toughness will be the most important thing for Gracie going forward...

Yeah, I have to agree that she needs to win some international competitions such as Grand Prix events. Sasha Cohen and even Alissa Czisny have some Grand Prix golds under their respective belts. Have we had any other American ladies do that in recent years? It would be great if Gracie, or Ashley for that matter, could achieve that in the coming season. If they don't, then I don't hold out that much hope for them to make an impact outside the U.S.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Gracie has a grace period of one more year (possibly 2 or more if no US ladies rise to challenge her) before she might lose favor with the judges. I think she can do it if she doesn't have something ridiculous like two events with Lipnitskaya. There's not a big rush IMO.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I think next season will be her complete senior breakthrough
finishing an impressive 4th place at the Olympics

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wouldn't worry to much about Gracie. She has a bright future ahead of her and and even if the Russians ARE coming. It's nothing new to her. She's been dealing with it ever since juniors. If Gracie goes clean at SA she will beat anyone! She can get to GPF and that would be huge to medal there!!!

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
We'll see. I wish her only the best, but I really think she only have chance to win at Skate America. Next quad is gonna be heavily dominated by russian girls. But with Mao, Yuna and Caro retiring, Gracie have chance to medal at almost every competition.

CarneAsada

Medalist
I wouldn't worry to much about Gracie. She has a bright future ahead of her and and even if the Russians ARE coming. It's nothing new to her. She's been dealing with it ever since juniors. If Gracie goes clean at SA she will beat anyone!
She would not beat Adelina Sotnikova if they were both at Skate America. Adelina has a clean 3Lutz-3Toe and Level 4 steps with +3 GOE. She has a soon-to-be-unveiled quad toe. She has beautiful artistry, a thousand transitions, and immaculate skating skills, all the ingredients necessary to earn 75 PCS. She is the Zamboni Who Will Ice the World. If she competes at Gracie, Skate America will have no chance.

cooper

Medalist
What happens to Gracie Gold if she doesn't win any Grand Prix events next season??

sky_fly20 will stop joining her bandwagon... and throw her under the bus..

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
She would not beat Adelina Sotnikova if they were both at Skate America. Adelina has a clean 3Lutz-3Toe and Level 4 steps with +3 GOE. She has a soon-to-be-unveiled quad toe. She has beautiful artistry, a thousand transitions, and immaculate skating skills, all the ingredients necessary to earn 75 PCS. She is the Zamboni Who Will Ice the World. If she competes at Gracie, Skate America will have no chance.

Sarcasm level: 4, +3 GOE :biggrin:

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
and even Alissa Czisny

And even Alissa Czisny. Oh, Olympia!

Well, gosh, of course GG has to win some GP events next season to gain the respect of judges necessary to earn the highest possible GOEs on her elements and (imo, undeserved) PCS. About a 7 average on PCS is generous for a clean skate by GG.

But of course she will make the GPF next season. If she doesn't average two second place placements, I'd be surprised.

gettinglow

Match Penalty

oh how political maneuvering (and the $$ that go along with it) changes everything :laugh:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It took four years for Carolina Kostner to win her first Grand Prix event, and no one wrote her off as a complete failure.

Anyway, why would USFS invite Sotnikova to SA? She didn't compete at Worlds and is not a seeded skater, so she doesn't get first dibs. She was at SA in 2012 and was 3rd behind Ashley and Christina Gao, so maybe she might not to chance being beaten again. As for Sot's "clean" 3z+3t, it has only been clean when the there was a Russian on the tech panel. I back-checked and all of her 3zs except two got "e". Oh, and FYI, Adelina has yet to win a GP event herself, and she's been on the GP a year longer than Gracie.

Since Asada and (presumably) Kostner aren't doing the GP, Lipnitskaia and Pogo are the #1 and #2 seeds, and who knows if either of them would want to do SA anyway?

noskates

Record Breaker
I don't know how anyone can predict what's going to happen next season based on this season. Poop happens! I keep maintaining that Frank Carroll is going to do his magic. She's going to have better programs next year, she'll be more consistent (she was just after only a few months with him) and she's only 19. Sheesh.

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
As for Sot's "clean" 3z+3t, it has only been clean when the there was a Russian on the tech panel.

Chuckm, this is (more or less) what's called an "ad hominem" argument. Instead of challenging the claim made (that she successfully completed the jumps), you attack the credibility of the people who said so. Just refer to the video, chuckm, and say whether you think she made the rotations or not. If you cannot do this, well, cease commenting.

As an aside (because I anticipate you will take this tack), I am not defending AS. I thought CK should have won the OGM.

I don't know how anyone can predict what's going to happen next season based on this season. Poop happens!

I think this is the wisest thing I've ever seen written on GS. I mean it.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would imagine just like how they protected Wagner last season at SA by giving Ashley as weak of competition as possible so she would make the GPF they will do the same for Gracie. Ashley was in the 2 weakest events and was almost guaranteed a spot in the GPF. But there is no excuse not to win a GP or make the final. She's almost 19 now and has the experience so that can't be used as a excuse. Girls much younger like Lip and even Anna have won and they are much younger.

aschiutza

On the Ice
It took four years for Carolina Kostner to win her first Grand Prix event, and no one wrote her off as a complete failure.
From the fans? She ws many times written off, only on this forums how often!

The luck of Carolina it was that she was not in a poweful FS country. She had little competition inside her homeland, so that garanteed her the support of the federation even after some not so great seasons.

For Gracie is a little bit different. USA is powerful, new skaters are coming every year and you have to be at the top to keep on the first spot to get all the support from her federation. Ashley was hurt a tad by not being the first in USA anymore.

But i don't think one bad season would bring the fall from grace for Gracie. Two seasons - that would be another story.