What happens to Gracie Gold if she doesn't win any Grand Prix events next season? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

What happens to Gracie Gold if she doesn't win any Grand Prix events next season?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think that's fine if Wagner doesn't do Skate America. After all, Wagner's GP win last season came at TEB, not Skate America. They should definitely keep Wagner at Bompard. I would also suggest she does NHK because without Mao/Suzuki, it could be a cakewalk, and the Japanese like her. But watch USFS do something stupid like send her to Rostelecom (where Edmunds should go).

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Yeah SA will probably have Gold, and the weakest field they can possibly assemble. They will want her confidence bolstered with her first grand prix win. I am guessing they will invite Kostner who is not an early season skater at all. They will probably not invite Radianova or Sotnikova (if she is even in the grand prix), and if Osmond or someone like her shows well in the summer events they will also not be invited. Kostner as the seeded skater, along with Gold, and nobody else remotedly dangerous.

Kostner will compete in the GP ?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
If she doesn't win she can always hang out with her new BFF Taylor Swift:

http://ca.eonline.com/news/530304/t...e-gold-is-there-anyone-she-isn-t-friends-with

Gracie's rise to Hollywood stardom is unquestionable
arguably even Kwan has not achieved this kind of media exposure with celebrities, let alone being close to a celebrity as friends

Buzz from E News and now Taylor Swift firmly one of her closet friends
solidifies Gracie as one of the few Elite athletes in the US with Hollywood connections

Trewyn

Medalist
I think that's fine if Wagner doesn't do Skate America. After all, Wagner's GP win last season came at TEB, not Skate America. They should definitely keep Wagner at Bompard.

Oh that would make my year if I get to see Ashley in Paris again :) But I have a feeling Gracie will get Bompard as well :( In that case, Ashley might go to NHK, she's pretty popular in Japan so that wouldn't be a bad thing. But I selfishly hope it's TEB that gets her.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Oh that would make my year if I get to see Ashley in Paris again :) But I have a feeling Gracie will get Bompard as well :( In that case, Ashley might go to NHK, she's pretty popular in Japan so that wouldn't be a bad thing. But I selfishly hope it's TEB that gets her.

Gracie is higher seeded than Wagner
and contarary Gracie is just as popular as Wagner in NHK
she has been in WTT and NHK last season

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Wasnt Mirai fourth in 2010. It means nothing if she cannot come to the table next year...

so ? Mirai had terrible technique and she always had underrotations, was 16 and had filled out and gained alot since
Gracie has solid technique, has speed, power, fast spins and great 3-3 jumps that is what the CoP is all about

emdee

Final Flight
Gracie DID finish ahead of both of her teammates at Nationals, Sochi and Saitama---I'd say that is pretty consistent. It doesn't matter that they finished ahead of her in the FS at Saitama, it's the final placement that counts.

Daleman beat Osmond in the FS at Saitama, but Osmond beat Daleman overall. :p

Yes, but Osmond has been injured and reinjured the whole season..... so it really doesnt matter that she got beaten by anyone

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
How would you definite a "write-off"? I'd bet good money that Wagner will still qualify for the GPF, perhaps even win a GP event. I mean, she can pull 190+ points without a successful 3-3 or clean 2A+3T.

A lot can happen over the course of the summer -- I actually think she improved last season, bringing back the 3-3 with at least some success, not to mention a GP win, qualifying for the GPF and getting bronze there. And 4th in the Worlds FS (with 2 UR jumps) isn't bad at all.

TwinnerA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Gracie's rise to Hollywood stardom is unquestionable
arguably even Kwan has not achieved this kind of media exposure with celebrities, let alone being close to a celebrity as friends

Buzz from E News and now Taylor Swift firmly one of her closet friends
solidifies Gracie as one of the few Elite athletes in the US with Hollywood connections

I like Gracie, but comparing her to Michelle Kwan as having more celebrity friends is silly. At around Gracie's age Michelle was busy doing things like winning her 2nd National title, her 2nd World title, numerous GP events, an OSM, etc. She didn't need the attention of someone like Taylor Swift to build her up like Gracie probably does.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It will be interesting if Gracie chooses Bompard or NHK as her 2nd event (I am sure the USFSA will submit her for whichever she asks for and the host country will invite her). Where Wagner and Edmunds end up will depend completely on what Gracie's wishes are.

Gracie will get SA as a host pick. But she is the #3 seed, which means she doesn't really get to pick that second event. Lipnitskaia will get the two events she picks (other than SA); Pogorilaya gets to pick two from the ones Lipnitskaia didn't choose (other than SA), and Gracie gets the one left over.

Ashley and Polina have no say at all where they will skate, and neither does USFS---unless USFS decides to pick one of them for SA.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I like Gracie, but comparing her to Michelle Kwan as having more celebrity friends is silly. At around Gracie's age Michelle was busy doing things like winning her 2nd National title, her 2nd World title, numerous GP events, an OSM, etc. She didn't need the attention of someone like Taylor Swift to build her up like Gracie probably does.

still doesnt change the fact Gracie has close friends in the Hollywood circuit, Taylor Swift just being the few
I dont recall Kwan having close Hollywood friends at the start of her skating career ?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Seems to me that having Hollywood friends could potentially be detrimental to a skating career.......

pointyourtoe

On the Ice
still doesnt change the fact Gracie has close friends in the Hollywood circuit, Taylor Swift just being the few
I dont recall Kwan having close Hollywood friends at the start of her skating career ?

Who are the other Hollywood friends you're speaking of? The imaginary people that whisper in your ear?

Also, does a dinner date and cookie-making date qualify as close friendship in 2014? Especially when it's obvious Taylor is fulfilling her past promise to promote Olympic athletes? Gold isn't the only 2014 Winter Olympic athlete Taylor has reached out to btw