What happens to Gracie Gold if she doesn't win any Grand Prix events next season? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

What happens to Gracie Gold if she doesn't win any Grand Prix events next season?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
The axel looked a bit weird in Sochi but she landed it ok. At worlds it became real problem and judging by SOI reports she's still struggling with it.

It was quite weird in her SP. Her team and individual FS it looked fine. It's weird how it's all of a sudden escaping her, especially when she can reel off 3-3 no problem.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
It was quite weird in her SP. Her team and individual FS it looked fine. It's weird how it's all of a sudden escaping her, especially when she can reel off 3-3 no problem.

The sp was what I was referring to. Those 3lz-3ts look fabulous. Hell, I was training double axels back in the day (never landed) but never got to triples, and I was nowhere near Gracie's level. It's not something a senior international skater should be struggling with physically, so it makes me think it might be psychological. I hope she's got a sports psych team in place.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
The sp was what I was referring to. Those 3lz-3ts look fabulous. Hell, I was training double axels back in the day (never landed) but never got to triples, and I was nowhere near Gracie's level. It's not something a senior international skater should be struggling with physically, so it makes me think it might be psychological. I hope she's got a sports psych team in place.

It's actually a really hard jump for some skaters. Notice how a lot of skaters are hesitant going into their 2A. I used to be able to reel off 3T/3F/3S, no problem, back in the day, but my 2A was always something I held my breath for. It requires perfect timing and obviously the forwards takeoff can throw people off.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
It's actually a really hard jump for some skaters. Notice how a lot of skaters are hesitant going into their 2A. I used to be able to reel off 3T/3F/3S, no problem, back in the day, but my 2A was always something I held my breath for. It requires perfect timing and obviously the forwards takeoff can throw people off.

True. Axels are weird jumps. Well, I won't panic yet.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Carolina Kostner said early in her career that the axel was her least favorite jump and for the first third of her career she really struggled with it. Eventually the struggles went away and she was easily landing that jump.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is getting SA supposed to be something special? I have always thought that SA is just one equal competition among all GP events.

Skate America is special for American skaters, just as skating at Finlandia is special for Finnish skaters.

Gracie Gold is the reigning American champion and that is why she is certain to be chosen for Skate America.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is getting SA supposed to be something special? I have always thought that SA is just one equal competition among all GP events.

Well it's special for the US Champion to be able to skate in their own country's GP.

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
I actually did the research on Adelina's lutzes, which included her three years in the GP, her Euros in 2013 and 2014, and Worlds 2013 and WTT 2013, and the historical results were that Adelina attempted 17 lutzes of which 14 were deemed flutzes by the various technical panels, and only 3 passed muster. ALL of her lutzes at Euros, Worlds and WTT were called flutzes. Of course, if you add the Olympic statistic to the batch, that makes her 4 for 18.

Past history shows that the vast majority of the time, Adelina does not have a correct lutz. It may also be that in some instances tech panels ignore her error.

The poster in question claimed that Adelina has a clean lutz when clearly she does not, and gave that as evidence that Adelina would trounce Gracie Gold (who, btw DOES have a clean lutz) should they meet at Skate America.

Nice. See, this is the kind of standard to which all GS posts should be held. A win for logic. :)

Thank you for responding to my post, Chuckm.

Having scanned over the rest of this thread, can I make a recommendation to the GS moderators? You have politics forum, the foremost purpose of which is to facilitate discussion of politics in the narrow sense (e.g., Obama vs. Romney), unrelated to figure skating. But sometimes you move threads to the politics forums when discussions trend toward discussion of gender, race, and class in relation to figure skating. How about moving threads to the "inanity" thread (a new kind of thread I am proposing) when they move toward discussions of Gracie Gold's relationship with Taylor Swift, Evan Lysacek's relationship with Vera Wang, or anyone's relationship with Johnny Weir?

nimi

Medalist
How about moving threads to the "inanity" thread (a new kind of thread I am proposing) when they move toward discussions of Gracie Gold's relationship with Taylor Swift, Evan Lysacek's relationship with Vera Wang, or anyone's relationship with Johnny Weir?

:thumbsup:

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
Yeah SA will probably have Gold, and the weakest field they can possibly assemble. They will want her confidence bolstered with her first grand prix win. I am guessing they will invite Kostner who is not an early season skater at all. They will probably not invite Radianova or Sotnikova (if she is even in the grand prix), and if Osmond or someone like her shows well in the summer events they will also not be invited. Kostner as the seeded skater, along with Gold, and nobody else remotedly dangerous.

Not only is Skate America typically given to the US #1, as others have said, USFSA has chosen to put Skate America in the Chicago suburbs this year... Chicago, of course, being Gracie's hometown. (And Jason Brown's as well.) That definitely signals to me even more strongly that Gracie will be a shoo-in for Skate America. Possibly Jason too, although with Abbott now talking of returning...

Oh that would make my year if I get to see Ashley in Paris again :) But I have a feeling Gracie will get Bompard as well :( In that case, Ashley might go to NHK, she's pretty popular in Japan so that wouldn't be a bad thing. But I selfishly hope it's TEB that gets her.

You may know better than me, but I heard on another forum I hang out that the arena where TEB is typically held in Paris is undergoing renovations and they may hold TEB elsewhere - possibly even outside Paris. I guess we'll see.

YLFan

Match Penalty
Making such a weak field for Skate America surely can't be good for figure skating popularity here.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That is NOT true. There are many US fans like myself who appreciate Jeremy's artistry whether or not he is awarded medals. His skates at Worlds 2014 were wonderful and memorable even though he didn't get on the podium.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It isn't a matter of preferring Jeremy, but of appreciating what he uniquely brings to skating. I love Jason Brown's skating too, for different reasons.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I am not dissing Jeremy, but reality is most casual U.S skating fans are going to be far more interested in Brown than Jeremy at this point. He had alot of hype and attention at the Games and is more likely to remembered than an almost 30 year old skater who didnt have a huge competitive highlight in his career, especialy recently. Some die hards like yourself might prefer Jeremy, but that isnt the mass audience they are aiming at.
So it's official that Jeremy not leaving yet? :eek: as much as I respect Jeremy, I think they should let Jason have the chance.

flutzy13

On the Ice
It isnt official either way. I am sure quite sure whatever Jeremy does you will see Jason at Skate America. Who knows you might see both Jeremy and Jason there.

Agreed- they are not having SA in the Chicago suburbs and sending Jason to like NHK and Skate Canada. He'll be there. They may have Jeremy there as well as I don't think they'll be concerned about protecting him as National champion.

I expect they'll try to make the fields as easy as possible for Gracie and Chock/Bates but will have a competitive pairs field again just like last year.

flutzy13

On the Ice
Yeah and come to think of it probably a competitive mens field. They will want 2 of the 4 disciplines to be strong to attrack fans (aside from just the marquee Americans). It also isnt a super big deal if Brown and/or Abbott make the gpf or not. Brown especialy can still shine at worlds even not making the final, if his skating comes along nicely.

Right and last year's SA also had USFS pitting US skaters who were in the Olympic mix against each other to see I think where they stacked up. Except in Ladies. You had Denney & Coughlin head to head with Castelli & Shnapir. You had Jason vs Adam vs Max. You had Hubbell & Donohue against the Shibs. With that dynamic out of the picture I expect it to be less competitive US fields. My guesses

Men's- Jason, Jeremy if he wants in, Miner
Ladies- Gracie, Cesario, Miller
Pairs- Castelli & Shnapir, Denney & Frazier, maybe Aaron & Settlage with Leng/Leduc, Donlan/Speroff split and S/K, Z/B and K/O probably good for 2 GPs. If not, one of them.
Dance- Chock/Bates, Aldridge/Eaton, maybe the one Cannuscio sister left and her partner. Won't be stunned if H/D get SA but not expecting to see the Shibs.