Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: What happens to Gracie Gold if she doesn't win any Grand Prix events next season?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by UnsaneLily87 View Post
    The axel looked a bit weird in Sochi but she landed it ok. At worlds it became real problem and judging by SOI reports she's still struggling with it.
    It was quite weird in her SP. Her team and individual FS it looked fine. It's weird how it's all of a sudden escaping her, especially when she can reel off 3-3 no problem.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    It was quite weird in her SP. Her team and individual FS it looked fine. It's weird how it's all of a sudden escaping her, especially when she can reel off 3-3 no problem.
    The sp was what I was referring to. Those 3lz-3ts look fabulous. Hell, I was training double axels back in the day (never landed) but never got to triples, and I was nowhere near Gracie's level. It's not something a senior international skater should be struggling with physically, so it makes me think it might be psychological. I hope she's got a sports psych team in place.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by UnsaneLily87 View Post
    The sp was what I was referring to. Those 3lz-3ts look fabulous. Hell, I was training double axels back in the day (never landed) but never got to triples, and I was nowhere near Gracie's level. It's not something a senior international skater should be struggling with physically, so it makes me think it might be psychological. I hope she's got a sports psych team in place.
    It's actually a really hard jump for some skaters. Notice how a lot of skaters are hesitant going into their 2A. I used to be able to reel off 3T/3F/3S, no problem, back in the day, but my 2A was always something I held my breath for. It requires perfect timing and obviously the forwards takeoff can throw people off.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    It's actually a really hard jump for some skaters. Notice how a lot of skaters are hesitant going into their 2A. I used to be able to reel off 3T/3F/3S, no problem, back in the day, but my 2A was always something I held my breath for. It requires perfect timing and obviously the forwards takeoff can throw people off.
    True. Axels are weird jumps. Well, I won't panic yet.

Custom Title
    Carolina Kostner said early in her career that the axel was her least favorite jump and for the first third of her career she really struggled with it. Eventually the struggles went away and she was easily landing that jump.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Gracie will get SA for sure
    Is getting SA supposed to be something special? I have always thought that SA is just one equal competition among all GP events.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    Is getting SA supposed to be something special? I have always thought that SA is just one equal competition among all GP events.
    Skate America is special for American skaters, just as skating at Finlandia is special for Finnish skaters.

Gracie Gold is the reigning American champion and that is why she is certain to be chosen for Skate America.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    Well it's special for the US Champion to be able to skate in their own country's GP.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    To answer the thread title:

If Gracie Gold doesn't win a Grand Prix event, her Hollywood friend(s) will abandon her.
    This is a banner year..... I agree withyou for once!

I got your program components right here. Pepe Nero's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    I actually did the research on Adelina's lutzes, which included her three years in the GP, her Euros in 2013 and 2014, and Worlds 2013 and WTT 2013, and the historical results were that Adelina attempted 17 lutzes of which 14 were deemed flutzes by the various technical panels, and only 3 passed muster. ALL of her lutzes at Euros, Worlds and WTT were called flutzes. Of course, if you add the Olympic statistic to the batch, that makes her 4 for 18.

Past history shows that the vast majority of the time, Adelina does not have a correct lutz. It may also be that in some instances tech panels ignore her error.

The poster in question claimed that Adelina has a clean lutz when clearly she does not, and gave that as evidence that Adelina would trounce Gracie Gold (who, btw DOES have a clean lutz) should they meet at Skate America.
    Nice. See, this is the kind of standard to which all GS posts should be held. A win for logic.

Thank you for responding to my post, Chuckm.

Having scanned over the rest of this thread, can I make a recommendation to the GS moderators? You have politics forum, the foremost purpose of which is to facilitate discussion of politics in the narrow sense (e.g., Obama vs. Romney), unrelated to figure skating. But sometimes you move threads to the politics forums when discussions trend toward discussion of gender, race, and class in relation to figure skating. How about moving threads to the "inanity" thread (a new kind of thread I am proposing) when they move toward discussions of Gracie Gold's relationship with Taylor Swift, Evan Lysacek's relationship with Vera Wang, or anyone's relationship with Johnny Weir?

tripping on the toe pick
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe Nero View Post
    How about moving threads to the "inanity" thread (a new kind of thread I am proposing) when they move toward discussions of Gracie Gold's relationship with Taylor Swift, Evan Lysacek's relationship with Vera Wang, or anyone's relationship with Johnny Weir?

Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Yeah SA will probably have Gold, and the weakest field they can possibly assemble. They will want her confidence bolstered with her first grand prix win. I am guessing they will invite Kostner who is not an early season skater at all. They will probably not invite Radianova or Sotnikova (if she is even in the grand prix), and if Osmond or someone like her shows well in the summer events they will also not be invited. Kostner as the seeded skater, along with Gold, and nobody else remotedly dangerous.
    Not only is Skate America typically given to the US #1, as others have said, USFSA has chosen to put Skate America in the Chicago suburbs this year... Chicago, of course, being Gracie's hometown. (And Jason Brown's as well.) That definitely signals to me even more strongly that Gracie will be a shoo-in for Skate America. Possibly Jason too, although with Abbott now talking of returning...

Quote Originally Posted by Trewyn View Post
    Oh that would make my year if I get to see Ashley in Paris again But I have a feeling Gracie will get Bompard as well :( In that case, Ashley might go to NHK, she's pretty popular in Japan so that wouldn't be a bad thing. But I selfishly hope it's TEB that gets her.
    You may know better than me, but I heard on another forum I hang out that the arena where TEB is typically held in Paris is undergoing renovations and they may hold TEB elsewhere - possibly even outside Paris. I guess we'll see.

Making such a weak field for Skate America surely can't be good for figure skating popularity here.

Custom Title
    Meh, it's a post Olympics year so general audiences will be burned out anyway

Custom Title
    That is NOT true. There are many US fans like myself who appreciate Jeremy's artistry whether or not he is awarded medals. His skates at Worlds 2014 were wonderful and memorable even though he didn't get on the podium.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast