Davis & White too rich and famous to return to skating? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Davis & White too rich and famous to return to skating?

mintx

On the Ice
We are all different. I would rather watch a dancing show than survivor where people are deliberately being mean to each other. The challenges are fun but all the talking makes the show unwatchable.

I am super impressed with Meryl and hope she keeps dancing even after the show she amazing.

moviechick

On the Ice
Dancing with the Stars is really about D-list has beens trying to become relevant again or people who were never actually celebrities to begin with trying to become celebrities.

mintx

On the Ice
DWTS has succeeded boosted some celebrities careers ( as a part of an over all stragegy) including Helio Castronevas, Apollo Ohno and Mario Lopez. For some, it looks like they do the show for fun. Meryl and Charlie are most likely doing it for both reasons ( along with a nice paycheck). I am really enjoying this season.

cooper

Medalist
We are all different. I would rather watch a dancing show than survivor where people are deliberately being mean to each other. The challenges are fun but all the talking makes the show unwatchable.

I am super impressed with Meryl and hope she keeps dancing even after the show she amazing.

i guess it's a matter of preference.. dancing with the stars always reminded me of the kardasians extending their 15 minutes of fame.. :laugh:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Very well put, Olympia. After 17 years at this, I hope they make bushel baskets full of money and go on to have wonderful lives from here on out. Health, wealth and happiness. And Love. They earned it the old fashion way....they worked for it. And you are right....its all good for skating...just like MK's life was and is.

:agree:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I just hope they are having a great time and learning a lot! But next time they hire a DWTS pto for advice, I hope it is not Derek.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I still think D/W should have gone to Worlds and won a 3rd world title to add to their legacy. Looking at who won it would have been a piece of cake.

Matilda

Medalist
I still think D/W should have gone to Worlds and won a 3rd world title to add to their legacy. Looking at who won it would have been a piece of cake.

They'll get paid for DWTS ten times what they would have got from winning the Worlds. They have lots of titles already, but even with the sponsorships they have, they're not hauling in big bugs by skating. I'm happy they have this opportunity, I love watching them dance and having fun, and I'm thrilled that they are helping skating to gain some mainstream attention! And I live for Tanith's facial expressions when Charlie is criticized :laugh:

I hope Meryl and Charlie check in with Golden Skate and see a thread about how rich and famous they are. ;) It must be a hoot to them.

NYscorp6

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Dancing with the Stars is really about D-list has beens trying to become relevant again or people who were never actually celebrities to begin with trying to become celebrities.

I must disagree, Kristi Yamaguchi is on no ones D-list, she is a star and Olympic Champion as are Meryl & Charlie now.

I just hope they are having a great time and learning a lot! But next time they hire a DWTS pto for advice, I hope it is not Derek.

Why do you think that, Doris? I have always found him to be a wonderful choreographer. Did you not like their short program, or is your reaction for some other reason. (Not to argue with you; I'm just curious about what you don't like about Derek and/or his work with D/W.) Would you have some alternative dancer in mind to consult with them about ice programs, such as Cheryl?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
LOL sure ok whatever helps you sleep at night

Davis and White will do better than V and M financially because they are American (think ten times the size of Canada)and it doesn't hurt they are on DWTS and Charlie and his hair and dating Tanith but in the world of superstardom they are not particular huge. Ice dancing is still despite some top NA teams not really regarded as the premiere event and skating in general has lost its lustre over the last few years hence fewer pro ams and shows - not to mention dance was usually harder to sell at the pro level anyways.

PlaysInTheDirt

On the Ice
Wow.. I cannot believe the day came where Davis & White have transcended the sport and become well known celebrities. I was hoping they would come back but they may have become too big for the sport.

They are now the most famous Ice Dancers in the history of the sport and arguably the most successful on the ice since Gritchuk and Platov. Who would have thought a few years ago that Virtue & Moir would become just a footnote in the illustrious career of Davis & White. Can you believe this is Meryl freakin' Davis dancing like this?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wPTQnxDpus

Unbelievable!

At first blush, I wondered why a separate thread would be started instead of just posting in the current thread about D/W being on DWtS. But then, I read the post again and it seems there's an agenda here.

As a huge D/W fan, who also enjoys and respects V/M, I wonder why certain people have to put down either team in support of their favorite. It's sophomoric and *S* stirring 101.

I guess it was too quiet so you had to take a stick to the beehive, continuing to amp it up as others jumped in to dispute your comment.

I wish posters would at least be honest about what their intentions are. A post titled "I hate X and want to needle everyone who likes them" would have been more genuine, imo.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

It is quite obvious to me that both Meryl and Charlie put 150 percent into their Olympic training season and they needed to just have fun and enjoy their win. Even if they could win the title with a subpar skate, I have a feeling that's something they didn't want to do, especially before the Japanese audience.

That said, given how they are developing at performers on DWTS (especially Meryl!), I can't help but wish they could come back for one more season; I would've like to see how what they learned there translated to the ice.

At first blush, I wondered why a separate thread would be started instead of just posting in the current thread about D/W being on DWtS. But then, I read the post again and it seems there's an agenda here.

As a huge D/W fan, who also enjoys and respects V/M, I wonder why certain people have to put down either team in support of their favorite. It's sophomoric and *S* stirring 101.

I guess it was too quiet so you had to take a stick to the beehive, continuing to amp it up as others jumped in to dispute your comment.

I wish posters would at least be honest about what their intentions are. A post titled "I hate X and want to needle everyone who likes them" would have been more genuine, imo.

:thumbsup:

I seriously never get the point of excessive criticism of your favorite's rival.

Last edited:

moviechick

On the Ice
I must disagree, Kristi Yamaguchi is on no ones D-list, she is a star and Olympic Champion as are Meryl & Charlie now.

She was not particularly relevant at the time she did the show, which falls into the has been category more.

Either way, these are not stars.

Panpie

On the Ice
I hope Meryl and Charlie check in with Golden Skate and see a thread about how rich and famous they are. ;) It must be a hoot to them.

Indeed. Love 'em, but their fame from DWTS will be short-lived, which is just as well. They don't strike me as people who are out to be the most famous ice dancers ever, whatever that might mean. They seem to be very grounded and sweet.