Davis & White too rich and famous to return to skating? | Golden Skate

Davis & White too rich and famous to return to skating?

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
Wow.. I cannot believe the day came where Davis & White have transcended the sport and become well known celebrities. I was hoping they would come back but they may have become too big for the sport.

They are now the most famous Ice Dancers in the history of the sport and arguably the most successful on the ice since Gritchuk and Platov. Who would have thought a few years ago that Virtue & Moir would become just a footnote in the illustrious career of Davis & White. Can you believe this is Meryl freakin' Davis dancing like this?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wPTQnxDpus

Unbelievable!

lmarie086

Medalist
I've been a Meryl/Charlie fan for years...but no. If they were too big for skating, they wouldn't even be doing SOI. Nor are they the most famous. They have been quite successful, but on paper their record is quite similar to that of V/M; 6 national titles, 2 4CC titles, 2 World titles, and an Olympic title. V/M will never be just a "footnote" in the career of another team.

I will say that it's quite thrilling - and weird! - when my friends actually know who they are now, but that may fade as we get further away from the Olympics.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Actually right now they are known as "Those ice dancers". If you ask anyone in america about "Those ice dancers", they would know who you are talking about.

"The ones who look like Disney characters according to that Buzzfeed article."

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
They seem to be gaining more and more momentum, the view count on their youtube videos, and fan page likes have skyrocketed.

anyanka

Record Breaker
I do wonder though: how much do they get per episode?
And what about their endorsements? Do they have ad campaigns, modeling contracts, speaking engagements all lined up as well? Those can be quite lucrative. I'm not aware of their next venture beyond DWTS unless their agent has lined up something which they'll unveil later ...

I adore Meryl and Charlie, but I don't think they're the most famous ice dancers ever. That honor probably still goes to Torvill and Dean. And in Canada, Tessa and Scott are nobody's footnote. They are legends and deservedly so. Nonetheless, I'm thrilled at the way that Meryl's and Charlie's name recognition and popularity seem to be growing. It will be good for them, of course, but it will also benefit skating in general and ice dancing in particular. Way to go, D/W!

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
I wonder why Meryl never danced with such freedom and reckless abandon when she was skating... This is like a whole new person. But there is no way she could have learned how to move like that in such a short time.

gettinglow

Match Penalty
Um, Meryl Davis and Charlie White will probably be forgotten by anyone outside the skating world as soon as DWTS is over this season. Even now, I imagine like 90% of people who watch DWTS are like "who the hell are these two people?" It's great that they won their gold medal in Sochi, but figure skating has declined in popularity in the states to a record low, and ice dance is the least respected of all the figure skating divisions. So, yeah, they're talented and everything but not celebrities and not memorable outside of the world of die-hard skating fans. It also doesn't help that they give the most BORING, sanitized interviews ever.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Very well put, Olympia. After 17 years at this, I hope they make bushel baskets full of money and go on to have wonderful lives from here on out. Health, wealth and happiness. And Love. They earned it the old fashion way....they worked for it. And you are right....its all good for skating...just like MK's life was and is.

I adore Meryl and Charlie, but I don't think they're the most famous ice dancers ever. That honor probably still goes to Torvill and Dean. And in Canada, Tessa and Scott are nobody's footnote. They are legends and deservedly so. Nonetheless, I'm thrilled at the way that Meryl's and Charlie's name recognition and popularity seem to be growing. It will be good for them, of course, but it will also benefit skating in general and ice dancing in particular. Way to go, D/W!

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
Um, Meryl Davis and Charlie White will probably be forgotten by anyone outside the skating world as soon as DWTS is over this season. Even now, I imagine like 90% of people who watch DWTS are like "who the hell are these two people?" It's great that they won their gold medal in Sochi, but figure skating has declined in popularity in the states to a record low, and ice dance is the least respected of all the figure skating divisions. So, yeah, they're talented and everything but not celebrities and not memorable outside of the world of die-hard skating fans. It also doesn't help that they give the most BORING, sanitized interviews ever.

Nope. Not true. That argentine tango will live on in the hearts, minds and soul of every Mcdonalds eating, couch potato, indolent American for years and years to come.

Procrastinator

On the Ice
I wonder why Meryl never danced with such freedom and reckless abandon when she was skating... This is like a whole new person. But there is no way she could have learned how to move like that in such a short time.

I don't know, I kind of saw this Meryl in the nationals outings but during the Olympics the two of them were very clearly holding back/tense

cooper

Medalist
People who are actually rich and famous do not need to do Dancing with the Stars. lol.

i just don't get the appeal with the show like dancing w/ the stars.. i'll rather watch survivor.. outwitting.. outplaying.. outlasting everyone for 1 mil..