Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Davis & White too rich and famous to return to skating?

Banned
    Um, Meryl Davis and Charlie White will probably be forgotten by anyone outside the skating world as soon as DWTS is over this season. Even now, I imagine like 90% of people who watch DWTS are like "who the hell are these two people?" It's great that they won their gold medal in Sochi, but figure skating has declined in popularity in the states to a record low, and ice dance is the least respected of all the figure skating divisions. So, yeah, they're talented and everything but not celebrities and not memorable outside of the world of die-hard skating fans. It also doesn't help that they give the most BORING, sanitized interviews ever.

Very well put, Olympia. After 17 years at this, I hope they make bushel baskets full of money and go on to have wonderful lives from here on out. Health, wealth and happiness. And Love. They earned it the old fashion way....they worked for it. And you are right....its all good for skating...just like MK's life was and is.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I adore Meryl and Charlie, but I don't think they're the most famous ice dancers ever. That honor probably still goes to Torvill and Dean. And in Canada, Tessa and Scott are nobody's footnote. They are legends and deservedly so. Nonetheless, I'm thrilled at the way that Meryl's and Charlie's name recognition and popularity seem to be growing. It will be good for them, of course, but it will also benefit skating in general and ice dancing in particular. Way to go, D/W!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gettinglow View Post
    Um, Meryl Davis and Charlie White will probably be forgotten by anyone outside the skating world as soon as DWTS is over this season. Even now, I imagine like 90% of people who watch DWTS are like "who the hell are these two people?" It's great that they won their gold medal in Sochi, but figure skating has declined in popularity in the states to a record low, and ice dance is the least respected of all the figure skating divisions. So, yeah, they're talented and everything but not celebrities and not memorable outside of the world of die-hard skating fans. It also doesn't help that they give the most BORING, sanitized interviews ever.
    Nope. Not true. That argentine tango will live on in the hearts, minds and soul of every Mcdonalds eating, couch potato, indolent American for years and years to come.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blackswanphoto View Post
    I wonder why Meryl never danced with such freedom and reckless abandon when she was skating... This is like a whole new person. But there is no way she could have learned how to move like that in such a short time.
    I don't know, I kind of saw this Meryl in the nationals outings but during the Olympics the two of them were very clearly holding back/tense

Quote Originally Posted by moviechick View Post
    People who are actually rich and famous do not need to do Dancing with the Stars. lol.
    i just don't get the appeal with the show like dancing w/ the stars.. i'll rather watch survivor.. outwitting.. outplaying.. outlasting everyone for 1 mil..

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper View Post
    i just don't get the appeal with the show like dancing w/ the stars.. i'll rather watch survivor.. outwitting.. outplaying.. outlasting everyone for 1 mil..
    De gustibus non est dispatandum.

Medalist
    We are all different. I would rather watch a dancing show than survivor where people are deliberately being mean to each other. The challenges are fun but all the talking makes the show unwatchable.

I am super impressed with Meryl and hope she keeps dancing even after the show she amazing.

Custom Title
    Dancing with the Stars is really about D-list has beens trying to become relevant again or people who were never actually celebrities to begin with trying to become celebrities.

Medalist
    DWTS has succeeded boosted some celebrities careers ( as a part of an over all stragegy) including Helio Castronevas, Apollo Ohno and Mario Lopez. For some, it looks like they do the show for fun. Meryl and Charlie are most likely doing it for both reasons ( along with a nice paycheck). I am really enjoying this season.

Quote Originally Posted by blackswanphoto View Post
    Can you believe this is Meryl freakin' Davis dancing like this?
    I know, right? She is blossoming like a rose before our very eyes

Quote Originally Posted by cooper View Post
    There is no reality on reality TV.

Quote Originally Posted by mintx View Post
    We are all different. I would rather watch a dancing show than survivor where people are deliberately being mean to each other. The challenges are fun but all the talking makes the show unwatchable.

I am super impressed with Meryl and hope she keeps dancing even after the show she amazing.
    i guess it's a matter of preference.. dancing with the stars always reminded me of the kardasians extending their 15 minutes of fame..

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    Very well put, Olympia. After 17 years at this, I hope they make bushel baskets full of money and go on to have wonderful lives from here on out. Health, wealth and happiness. And Love. They earned it the old fashion way....they worked for it. And you are right....its all good for skating...just like MK's life was and is.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I just hope they are having a great time and learning a lot! But next time they hire a DWTS pto for advice, I hope it is not Derek.

Custom Title
    I still think D/W should have gone to Worlds and won a 3rd world title to add to their legacy. Looking at who won it would have been a piece of cake.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast