Skaters on Team Japan | Page 22 | Golden Skate

Skaters on Team Japan

Meoima

Match Penalty
How brave for Miki to post a comment for haters :cheer:

After the Nats, I was worried about Wakaba. She's only 13 and already so many bashings toward her. Few days ago, she tweeted that maybe she should close her account. Honestly, I think that's good for her to protect herself, but it's just too sad that a 13 yo girl has to think about stopping SNS due to those nasty people. She names Miki as one of her role models, so I hope Wakaba can feel a bit encouraged by Miki's post...

Miki, thank you so much for showing your bravery!
And Kanako has just favorited a tweet saying she should retire and she shouldn't go to Worlds. I hope she used that tweet to motivate herself. It's just some people are so nasty. Go Kanako! :cheer:
I am glad that Yuzuru doesn't have any social network account.

firal

Record Breaker
I think some people were not too pleased with Wakaba's expression when the camera captured her sitting in the stand watching Hongo and Miyahara's SP at Japan Nationals. They got higher scores than her, who was leading at the time, and from what I can remember, the other athletes in the stand were clapping when the scores were revealed, and she was not. She did not exactly had a rude expression from what I can see, and some many were jumping to her defense that she is only 13 and she just hates to lose which is essential for a competitive athlete. But I guess some viewers were not impressed.

I cannot even begin to tell you what kind of a clueless brat I was at 13. I hope she does have people around her to guide and support her, either to stay away from SNS or to not take things personally.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
From Wakaba, I get the same feeling from her that I get from Yuzu.
-A killer instinct. Realy really competitive. I think that is a good thing. Without it, how can she possibly believe she can beat the Russian girls one day? She just needs to learn to handle the media better. I don't mind that she's angry about losing...it's a competition.
I do hope that someone on her team will teach her about PR and being a good sportswoman like Yuzu has shown from the begining.

She's only 13. She will learn.

Perdita

Final Flight
Really? What were they saying?

Well, they just don't like the fact that she looks up to Yuna Kim and Miki Ando (somehow those people think these two skaters as kinda big no-no), that Fuji TV hypes her up too much (that's nothing to do with her at all!) or that her attitude after Rika and Satoko taking lead looked arrogant (to me, that showed her competitiveness which is very important for atheletes). Obviously, Wakaba is very greedy and competitive, and she's not a kind of people who would be favored in a country like Japan where modesty is highly valued.
If she was already in late teens, I would say 'well, that's how the world goes. you have to deal with it' though I'm totally upset with those nasty people. But she's only 13. It just wrecks my heart.

firal

Record Breaker
I wonder why FujiTV is hyping up Wakaba more than they do Rika Hongo or Satoko Miyahara? Is it the angle that Mao was also this young when she won?

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
I wonder why FujiTV is hyping up Wakaba more than they do Rika Hongo or Satoko Miyahara? Is it the angle that Mao was also this young when she won?

They probably feel she has more of a future as a marketable star compared to Rika and Satoko.

Meoima

Match Penalty
They probably feel she has more of a future as a marketable star compared to Rika and Satoko.
To be frankly I think so as well, if puberty treat her well, she can be the next Midori Ito. :) I admit that her choreography is a bit empty but her energy and her competitiveness is amazing.
I have high hope on her for the 3A and even the quad.
To hell with the haters. This girl has gut and I like it! :cheer:
----
Come to think of it, Yuzuru is crazily competitive, I wonder who taught him to stay so humble in the eyes of public. I don't think he's that humble, but he handles that well. He himself admitted he's obsessive with winning. Had he had a SNA that would be extremely terrible for him to handle... all the hates! :slink:

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Well, they just don't like the fact that she looks up to Yuna Kim and Miki Ando (somehow those people think these two skaters as kinda big no-no), that Fuji TV hypes her up too much (that's nothing to do with her at all!) or that her attitude after Rika and Satoko taking lead looked arrogant (to me, that showed her competitiveness which is very important for atheletes). Obviously, Wakaba is very greedy and competitive, and she's not a kind of people who would be favored in a country like Japan where modesty is highly valued.
If she was already in late teens, I would say 'well, that's how the world goes. you have to deal with it' though I'm totally upset with those nasty people. But she's only 13. It just wrecks my heart.

Sounds a lot like Yuzuru at the same age, he even saids he is greedy.

Wasn´t there a story of him saying his "sempai" at Sendai rink he was going to win?

makaihime

Final Flight
Yuzuru had his fair share of "criticism" in Japan for his competitive nature when he first came on the Sr. circut as well. Was it fueled by something else as well? Maybe, but he handled it extremely well in the eyes of the public so that probably helped cut down the damage. He has also said that he looked up to Kim Yuna when he was in juniors ;) But its harsher now that everyone's on social networking sites...:disapp: Wakaba's only 13....those people should be ashamed of themselves. What excuse do they have for their rude and hurtful remarks? :scowl:

Meoima

Match Penalty
I hope Wakaba will close the account. She's only 13, it will do her no good.

yhmafan

Medalist
Although It might be not the place that complaining about those nasty people, I feel sorry for Wakaba and now I understood why some says to her that “you have different character from Mao and even her skating.” on her twitter in spite of the fact she made positive statement about Mao such as “Mao-chan is like a Kami-sama(God) ”

Yes, if someone could be the next Midori Ito it’s Wakaba :dance:

yhmafan

Medalist
Yuzuru had his fair share of "criticism" in Japan for his competitive nature when he first came on the Sr. circut as well. Was it fueled by something else as well? Maybe, but he handled it extremely well in the eyes of the public so that probably helped cut down the damage. He has also said that he looked up to Kim Yuna when he was in juniors ;) But its harsher now that everyone's on social networking sites...:disapp: Wakaba's only 13....those people should be ashamed of themselves. What excuse do they have for their rude and hurtful remarks? :scowl:

It's somehow funny and interesting that despite the fact he shows himself as greedy and aggressive as an athlete
even shows his S-side character as a person very often,
most people in Japan still look Yuzuru as really humble and modesty :laugh: and the reason is what you said I think.

Edit : It’s not saying that Yuzuru is not humble and modesty.
Actually He is the kind of person who would be children’s role model indeed.

Last edited:

GermaricanMix

On the Ice
Although It might be not the place that complaining about those nasty people, I feel sorry for Wakaba and now I understood why some says to her that “you have different character from Mao and even her skating.” on her twitter in spite of the fact she made positive statement about Mao such as “Mao-chan is like a Kami-sama(God) ”

Yes, if someone could be the next Midori Ito it’s Wakaba :dance:

I don't follow Jrs so I don't know who she is, but from what I'm reading she sounds like an athlete that I might be interested in. I like the athletes that have drive and that aren't afraid to shake things up a bit. It's pretty gross that people are tweeting hate at her especially since she's only 13! Social media has really made people too 'brave'.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I don't follow Jrs so I don't know who she is, but from what I'm reading she sounds like an athlete that I might be interested in. I like the athletes that have drive and that aren't afraid to shake things up a bit. It's pretty gross that people are tweeting hate at her especially since she's only 13! Social media has really made people too 'brave'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcJzQoFXZVI
Here is her free skate at the JGP this year.
She has a lot of work to do, but she is a fast and dynamic skater with huge jumps and great skating skills.
Her weaknesses, I'd say, is her spins and her roughness in expression and dancing.
At 13, she is amazing. Only time will tell how she will turn out...but it's exciting to watch her.

GermaricanMix

On the Ice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcJzQoFXZVI
Here is her free skate at the JGP this year.
She has a lot of work to do, but she is a fast and dynamic skater with huge jumps and great skating skills.
Her weaknesses, I'd say, is her spins and her roughness in expression and dancing.
At 13, she is amazing. Only time will tell how she will turn out...but it's exciting to watch her.

Wow, she actually seems older to me, I would have guessed 16 or something. I really like her program, it has a lot of power in it which I enjoy =D

yhmafan

Medalist

It’s pretty gross some people put those nasty comments. but as far as I looked almost all are cheering her up on twitter so It may not take it serious.
But again still she had better close her account since she is only 13 and getting famous.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
She's already apologized on twitter for her 'pathetic face'. She knows what not to do next time. She's now famous so she will remember that she's always on camera. Poor thing, but it's something she will have to deal with and I hope she gets the hang of it without too many mishaps. Gambare Wakaba. :cheer:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
ugghh whats wrong with those people, there is nothing wrong with being competitive, and considering she is just 13 (seems like its her birthday today, so she is 14 now, happy birthday wakaba!!! :cheer:) ppl need a life :slink:
and about yuzuru and being humble/ greedy to win is 2 different things i think, one can be greedy and competitive to win and at the end stays humble and dont go around like " hey did you see?, i am the winner?" . yuzuru doesnt do that at all, on the contrary he alwasy says he still needs a lot to work on :laugh: so i think one can be greedy- competitive and stay humble at the same time

GermaricanMix

On the Ice
ugghh whats wrong with those people, there is nothing wrong with being competitive, and considering she is just 13 (seems like its her birthday today, so she is 14 now, happy birthday wakaba!!! :cheer:) ppl need a life :slink:
and about yuzuru and being humble/ greedy to win is 2 different things i think, one can be greedy and competitive to win and at the end stays humble and dont go around like " hey did you see?, i am the winner?" . yuzuru doesnt do that at all, on the contrary he alwasy says he still needs a lot to work on :laugh: so i think one can be greedy- competitive and stay humble at the same time

Yes, exactly! I can't stand it when athletes constantly brag. There's nothing wrong with enjoying ones victories and mentioning accomplishments but the ones that act like they're the end all be all of a sport really bother me. Especially cause there will always eventually be someone new and more impressive. That being said, I think Yuzu can go too much in the opposite direction where he's too hard on himself.

Perdita

Final Flight
My post might have made things look too serious. I'm worried about her, but as long as she is a figure skater, all that matters is her performance and not what others say.

I'm supporting Wakaba since I watched her at JGPF and the Nats. To me, there's something very attractive in her SP this season. Her speedy and energetic style matches well with the music. It gives me chill when she lands that huge 2A and music goes faster when her skating is also getting faster and faster. I also like her gutsy smile when she begins her performance, and the way she cried after placing 3rd in the Nats really makes me believe that she's gonna be something in the near future :dance: I'm also expecting her to bring up the ladies field in terms of athleticism, like Midori and Mao have done.

Talking about Jr, I also like to express how much I'm rooting for Sota now. He's got beautiful and effortless jumps with eye-opening distance like Yuzuru's. His skating is amazing, too. In my eyes, he seem to got one of the best rink coverage including seniors, and sometimes I'm even worried that rinks might be too small for him! With that smoothness of skating and distance of jumps, he looks as if he's gonna crash into the wall...:jaw: However, in spite of those good points, I think he's strongest point is spins... he's got good positions and how he changes edge with such speed in rotations is just sensational :drama: He has everything...

They both have lots of rooms to improve, especially artistically, but I think improvement in artistry is one of the most fun part of being a fan of Jr skater ;)

Of course I'm rooting for Shoma too, I love his style, but to me, he's not really a jr skater anymore. He's got such maturity in expression and quad and 3A. He's ready to fight in senior field once he win the Jr Worlds title!

Wakaba, Sota and Shoma, good luck in the Jr Worlds :cheer:

Last edited: