Korean gymnast to be the next Star power after Yuna Kim ? | Golden Skate

Korean gymnast to be the next Star power after Yuna Kim ?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
a bit farfetched but okay :unsure:, reading some Korean news and media
they are now comparing the gymnast Son Yeon-Jae to Kim Yuna
it appears she recently won 4 golds in a World Cup where the media went frenzy and comparing her now to Kim

media: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jhi_IqydQUs
news: http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2014/04/07/2014040701037.html

but a bit misleading in the info is its a World Cup series that she one won
with the top 3 gymnasts not in the competition, thats like saying Pogorilaya won Cup of China or whatever
its not even a Final, but maybe that will panick the Yuna ubers ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Rhythmic_Gymnastics_World_Cup_Series

cooper

Medalist
is this even related to skating?? :laugh: to answer your question.. no, the yuna ubers are not panicking.. actually it's the opposite.. ;) i bet those crazy ubers/pro-nationalists are now moving on to rhythmic gymnastics after what happened in sochi..:laugh: they have a new athelete/celebrity to obsess about..which is another judged sport..where the russians are dominating.. :laugh:

while those real fans of yuna are still here.. and continues to support figure skating in general in korea..

anyanka

Record Breaker
is this even related to skating?? :laugh: to answer your question.. no, the yuna ubers are not panicking.. actually it's the opposite.. ;) i bet those crazy ubers/pro-nationalists are now moving on to rhythmic gymnastics after what happened in sochi..:laugh: they have a new athelte/celebrity to obsess about.. which is another judged sport..where the russians are dominating.. :laugh:

[mic drop]

aftertherain

Record Breaker
it appears she recently won 4 golds in a World Cup where the media went frenzy and comparing her now to Kim

I love how you're taking very skeptical tone now when you actually mentioned this last year and basically declared that the Korean media was going to dethrone Yuna and crown Yeon Jae in terms of star power.

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...Korean-Athlete&p=741811&viewfull=1#post741811
If your familiar with Korean media
that title will be dethroned soon by this girl: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Son_Yeon-Jae

jennyanydots

On the Ice
Son Yeon-Jae has been around for awhile. She has the looks but unfortunately not the outstanding results so her promotion as the next superstar athlete hasn't gone that well. As far as I as understand their respective ubers don't get along, details of which I don't quite remember, possibly something concerning their agencies. I think this was actually discussed in a thread awhile back that got off topic.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Son Yeon-Jae has been around for awhile. She has the looks but unfortunately not the outstanding results so her promotion as the next superstar athlete hasn't gone that well. As far as I as understand their respective ubers don't get along, details of which I don't quite remember, possibly something concerning their agencies. I think this was actually discussed in a thread awhile back that got off topic.

I think it's because Yuna used to be under IB Sports but some sketchy stuff happened and now she has her own agency. I believe Yeon Jae is under IB Sports who allegedly keep trying to push her as the "next Yuna Kim." Something like that. I haven't followed kpop news in the long, long time, if ever.

raineydaze

Spectator

media: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jhi_IqydQUs
news: http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2014/04/07/2014040701037.html

but a bit misleading in the info is its a World Cup series that she one won
with the top 3 gymnasts not in the competition, thats like saying Pogorilaya won Cup of China or whatever
its not even a Final, but maybe that will panick the Yuna ubers ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Rhythmic_Gymnastics_World_Cup_Series

LOL. Irina Viner would be dead in the grave before she let Son Yeon-Jae - or any athlete not from a former Soviet republic - win a world title. Russia doesn't just dominate the sport, it has a political stranglehold on it. If Viner's feeling generous, she may let Yeon-Jae win a silver or bronze, but that generosity won't extend to any gold medals. Yuna ubers can sleep soundly.

Antilopa

On the Ice
LOL. Irina Viner would be dead in the grave before she let Son Yeon-Jae - or any athlete not from a former Soviet republic - win a world title. Russia doesn't just dominate the sport, it has a political stranglehold on it. If Viner's feeling generous, she may let Yeon-Jae win a silver or bronze, but that generosity won't extend to any gold medals. Yuna ubers can sleep soundly.
I thought Irina is her coach. She trains with Russian girls.

aftertherain

Record Breaker

Lol. Even in figure skating, that might mean nothing at all. Carolina used to train with the Mishin camp for a few weeks out of the year until the lead-up to the Sochi Olympics before Mishin forbid her to do so because she had an edge over the Russian ladies (or something).

raineydaze

Spectator

Lots of the top RG girls from many different countries train in Russia with Viner. She throws them the silver and bronze and top 10 placement scraps. Russia gets gold.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I love how you're taking very skeptical tone now when you actually mentioned this last year and basically declared that the Korean media was going to dethrone Yuna and crown Yeon Jae in terms of star power.

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...Korean-Athlete&p=741811&viewfull=1#post741811

I didn't because I'm quoting news/media quotes :rolleye:

Im just saying the Korean media was all over Son's 4 gold medals probably highlighted by that Yuna has retired
and they are looking for a new sports star. of course the attention is a bit questionable as its an equivalent of Yuna winning a Grand Prix series.

All I'm saying Son seems to have been marketed as the next star athlete with Yuna retired
though the medals records disparity is clear

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Lots of the top RG girls from many different countries train in Russia with Viner. She throws them the silver and bronze and top 10 placement scraps. Russia gets gold.

no different from Ice Dance in Canton training different countries

nguyenghita

On the Ice
Look like you tried too hard to show your hateful to Yuna, fine, I will give you some info even though you maybe don't like it, haha

Son Yeon Jae is not a new star, actually her peak popularity was around olympic 2012, then it just downfall after that.

It was true that Korean media compared her with Yuna so many times, so much hype around her before, but Korean public simply didn't take it, instead they got tired then criticized her, even with her winning something these days, her anti on Korea internet community is no joke, hardly found any congrats mess to her :p

nguyenghita

On the Ice
leading Korean media to speculate that her popularity may reach the level of Olympic figure skating champion Kim Yu-na
For your more info, this kind of compare is the main reason she got all the hate from Korea netizens, she actually reached some level there, same as Mao or Adelina in Korea, ha

As for the general public, not that serious bully, but before she reach highest level same as Yuna, Korea sports already have countless athletes bigger than her in every mean, talk about Ryu, Park Ji Sung, Choo Shin Soo, Park Inbee, Park Tae Hwan, Lee Sang Hwa, park seung hi, shim suk hee, lee yong dae .... They are all world-class athletes

The only reason she was compared with Yuna because her good looking, plus the help from her agency, that's all.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Wait a miniute, we are talking about gymnast, not ice skating? Since when this forum change its direction? :popcorn:
Ps: has just seen her picture, not as beautiful as Yuna. :biggrin:

nguyenghita

On the Ice
Wait a miniute, we are talking about gymnast, not ice skating? Since when this forum change its direction? :popcorn:
Ps: has just seen her picture, not as beautiful as Yuna. :biggrin:
Don't know, just follow the theard, haha

I'm glad if mod take care of it though :laugh: